PDA

View Full Version : Picking a racquet

Hartzy
05-31-2005, 02:58 PM
I have only been playing for about 7 months but thanks to a very good tennis coach I have picked up a lot of the technical stuff rather quickly. I have now realized that my racquet doesn't give me what I want anymore.

I was naive and thought lighter and bigger would be great at first. However, I'm dissapointed in my Wilson Hyper Hammer now.

I'm 17, about 6'3, 170 pounds, with pretty good velocity and spin. I hit semi-western and do a 2 handed backhand. My first serve is flat and my second is just a non-twisting kick. I'm looking for a balanced racquet with a little weight to it. My friend told me when I got my first racquet that I will regret it because eventually I would feel as if i was "slapping an anorexic" and now he's right.

So what are some good racquet suggestions with about 100 sq. inch heads and about 11 ounces of weight that would benefit my build and style?

Gaines Hillix
05-31-2005, 03:19 PM
My favorite racquet in that head size and weight is the PK Laver Heritage Type S. The Head iRadical and LM Radical MP and Prince Tour Diablo MP and O3 Tour are also worth a demo. NoBadMojo may chime in here with his fav. Volkl that fits those specs.

wankster
05-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Hey you sound exactly like me!

I've demoed a lot of sticks with close to those specs (100 sq. in, 11 oz). I ended up switching from my hyper hammer to an RDX500 mp.

Other good ones:
Volkl Tour 10 VE mp
Prince Diablo mp
Babolat Pure Drive and Aeropro Control

stc9357
05-31-2005, 05:45 PM
If you can wield the weight of the flexpoint tour then it would be a good racket for you. great control with power and great spin potential. the racket weighs 12.0 ounces strung but you should be able to handle it. I'm 16 weigh 140 to 145 5' 9 in height so you should be able to handle it. My biceps are pretty big though trying to get them to nadal's size but not there yet.

Hartzy
05-31-2005, 06:00 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I need is weight. It's almost like when you throw a tennis ball as opposed to a baseball. The tennisball hurts more. I have a 2.1 meter wingspan and I generate leverage that makes a 9 ounce racquet hurt more than say an 11 ounce racquet. I liked the feel of my coach's tecnifibre but I wasn't quite ready to control it.

MChong
05-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah, you should check out lots of heavier racquets because it seems you're strong enough to use them. I'm only 5'5" or 5'6", 110 lbs, and 16 years old with a 13oz Diablo Mid so if I can use something like this, you be all means, should definitely look into it.

There have already been some good suggestions such as the:
Diablo MP
O3 Tour
LM Radical MP

They're all worth a demo, but I advise you to stay away from racquets such as the Pure Drive because they can lead to elbow problems.

nViATi
05-31-2005, 06:59 PM
check out the liquidmetal prestige mp