PDA

View Full Version : Tension calibration

ptb5021
09-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Can anybody comment on the most efficient method for calibrating a drop weight string machine? I've never used a calibrator before, and while I think it would be easy to get it to read tensions, I'm trying to find an efficient setup with minimal loss. Doesn't seem to be too many ideas online.

Thanks

esgee48
09-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Why would you want to calibrate a drop weight machine? The gravitational constant has not changed in eons. However, if you really feel the need to calibrate. buy a digital fish weight meter off of eb** and use that with a piece of scrape string.

There's a thread somewhere in TT that talks about this. The poster said that the drop weight machine was basically right on as far as tension was concerned.

ptb5021
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
No, I've had issues with the tension rod with Silent Partner, and they sent me a calibrator because of the problem. That is why I'm calibrating, I'm basically creating my own tension scale on the rod because there was some inconsistencies with theirs

esgee48
09-13-2010, 08:09 PM
OK. Good luck then. I would still get a digital scale for baggage or fish from EB. Fix one end of the scale to the turntable and tie a scrap piece of string to other end of the scale. You may have to support the scale with scrap wood so it is horizontal to the pulled string.