PDA

View Full Version : MaxPly McEnroe - S&V'ers you got try this one

netman
05-31-2005, 02:18 PM
After an extended demo of the MaxPly McEnroe, all I can say is WOW!. I've played just about every "player-tweener" out there. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but none of them ever worked for perfectly my S&V game. The best of the bunch was the Slazenger Pro Braided Henman, but its stiffness, combined with its low power, made it a challenging frame to play consistently. Dunlop 300g was nice, but too flexible for its low weight.

Lo and behold, McEnroe gets involved and Dunlop comes up with the MaxPly McEnroe. Its like the love child of the Pro Braided and the 300g, with enough stiffness to counter the lower weight, and enough flex to allow touch and control when needed. This thing is a S&V wonder wand. Groundstrokes are not its strong suit, but you can hit them with pace and precision as long as you prep properly. But nasty slice approach shots, half volleys, and volleys are just too easy with this thing. A subtle wrist break and volleys drop gently to the court and don't bounce back up. Slice shots barely rise above the court. Serves can be placed on a dime. Can't wait to string one with my favorite string and see what happens.

If you love to "chip and charge" and want something lighter than 12 oz., this one is worth a test drive.

-k-

louis netman
05-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Despite it's s/v - ch/ch attributes, RDC 68 & lightweight sounds like an arm disaster waiting to happen.... I realize that sometimes the RDC can be misleading (like the PS 6.0 95 RDC of 67 and it's actually comfortable). What are your impressions of the racket's comfort factor?

netman
05-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Louis Netman,

I shall refrain from my standard 3 paragraph rant on TE being very prevalent when wood racquets weighed 14 oz and had flex ratings of 20. :) TE is caused by bad technique and/or cumulative trauma, not racquet parameters.

Give the MaxPly a try. Its hard to describe, but it has a very nice combination of feel, flex and power unlike anything I've hit with in some time. Its no tweener, but does have a little extra pop. And it is light enough that you should be able to customize it if you feel the need for more weight.

I was worried after Dunlop was sold that it might go downhill, but this racquet gives some hope for more good things to come.

-k-

RyanC
05-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Tennis elbow might be 'caused' by bad technique but as most every player has technique that is less than perfect (even at the top level and from it increases dramatically from 5.5 down) there's little point in using or promoting something that can only exacerabate the situation. Tennis elbow occurred when wood racquets were being used but it escalated with the introduction of stiffer materials - beginning with steel and not being stopped by today's frames.

As is, Maxply is too light for a true serve-volley player. Needs more weight up top and better movement. Stiffeness is fine but provides too much power if you're a big hitter or big server. Needs to be tweaked substantially which Im sure is exactly what they do with McEnroe's sticks. The guy was using Volkl for goodness sake, do you really think he'd go from low flex to a 68 rating? If you want to chip and charge and you play against guys with decent serves the last thing you want is sub 12 ounces. You need mass and stability to control your chip return not just stiffness of frame.

Ash Doyle
05-31-2005, 07:56 PM
According to those that know McEnroe DOES use this frame (weighted up though). He wanted more power. When talking about this frame, people jump all over it's stiffness rating. Plenty of the "classics" approach this racquet's stiffness rating but nobody brings that up in discussion about those racquets. I chalk it up to "racquet elitism". Actually try it before you talk about how it's an "arm disaster waiting to happen". It's actually a quite comfortable frame to hit with. Due to it's balance it plays noticeably heavier than it's static weight of 11.3 ounces. The frame has good pop and feel.

A Defenseless Creature
05-31-2005, 08:14 PM
I hit with this frame for about 15 minutes at a recent demo event. I came away from hitting with several frames most impressed with this stick followed very closely by the Prince O3 Tour. If I was looking to purchase one, I'd probably go with the Dunlop. It felt solid off the ground and at net. Would like to give it an extended playtest. Going in I didn't think I would like it, but it didn't feel harsh at all, balance was good and the weight was enough to provide a solid feel. Much better than any of the other new Dunlops I tested.

louis netman
05-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Louis Netman,

I shall refrain from my standard 3 paragraph rant on TE being very prevalent when wood racquets weighed 14 oz and had flex ratings of 20. :) TE is caused by bad technique and/or cumulative trauma, not racquet parameters.
-k-

I have been playing competetively since childhood and (with 14 oz wooden sticks). With my technique as a constant, strings as a constant (gut@ mid tension) I will experience wrist problems when I play with rackets over 64 stiffness(except PS 6.0, 95) , and no wrist problems playing rackets with stiffness below 64. Therefore, my wrist problems are a direct result of racket stiffness. I will take the Mac stick for a whirl, however. Thanx for the head's up!

raftermania
05-31-2005, 11:07 PM
I have been playing competetively since childhood and (with 14 oz wooden sticks). With my technique as a constant, strings as a constant (gut@ mid tension) I will experience wrist problems when I play with rackets over 64 stiffness(except PS 6.0, 95) , and no wrist problems playing rackets with stiffness below 64. Therefore, my wrist problems are a direct result of racket stiffness. I will take the Mac stick for a whirl, however. Thanx for the head's up!

Ceteris Paribus - "all thing's being equal," just when you thought tennis wasn't a science!

How are your Precision Response Titanium's doing these days???

netman
06-01-2005, 05:08 AM
Good point on the stiffness ratings of "player's" frames. The holy grails of the racquet elite set are the ProStaff 6.0 85 and the POG. Their flex rating? 66.

If I remember correctly, the flex rating is measured at a single point on the racquet. So depending on material composition and layup, flex can vary a good bit across the hoop and handle. Its how engineers tune a racquet. To judge a racquet soley on its flex rating and/or weight is like judging a car on its horsepower rating alone.

The MaxPlay McEnroe is a nicely executed design that plays well across all aspects of the game. Its worth a try if you are demoing racquets.

PatCash
06-01-2005, 05:12 AM
This racquet really intreagues me but at the moment I can't find one to demo. Any of you can compare the maxply with lm radical mp or volkl tour v-9. I'd appreciate it so much!!
thx

louis netman
06-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Ceteris Paribus - "all thing's being equal," just when you thought tennis wasn't a science!

How are your Precision Response Titanium's doing these days???

hey raftermania: My PRTis are hanging, waiting to be autographed by PR himself, along with a PR660. I stopped using them and my wrist problems disappeared... it must be said, however, that my wrist is not a normal one. It suffered a motocross accident during adolescence...as is with the rest of my body parts...

raftermania
06-01-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry to hear that.

Waiting to be autographed? Are you waiting for an unlikely opportunity, or do you have something arranged???

bcaz
06-01-2005, 09:39 PM
I demoed this racquet, and I liked it, but I don't consider it to be a real good S&V stick. It's actually a beast off the ground, plenty of power and spin, and the leather grip enhances the feel and feedback. I liked slicing with this racquet, and backhand volleys, but it felt a bit unwieldy on forehand volleys. Not head-light enough, I think. I only had it a week so I can't comment on its comfirt level or arm-friendliness. I've felt in the past that the 200g and the 300g were harsh and tough on the wrist

GregOz
06-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Gave it a try and found it solid and not uncomfortable - so stiffness didn't seem to be an issue. Reasonable power from the back of the court and on other shots. Didn't really find it to be a top notch serve and volley racquet along the lines of Slazenger X1 etc but still quite serviceable. Probably more of an all-court players racquet. Would be more inclined to go with the X1 if serve-volley is your thing or one of the Wilson nCodes. But, still a nice enough racquet for an intermediate+ player.

Speedy_tennis
06-02-2005, 02:38 PM
this racket isn't a players choice, bad for dunlop, this specs are for players, 90/95 60/66 rdc beam 17/19 strung wheigt arround 340/350

netman
06-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Speedy_tennis, that is a pretty bold statement. I guess most of the top 10 women in the world, Andy Roddick, Rafael Nadal, Mariano Puerta, Coria and many of the rising men's stars don't qualify as players based on your statement.

kinsella
06-02-2005, 05:20 PM
I have made this point before, so stop me if you've heard this. The timing of your swing must match the flex and weight of the racquet. "Good" mechanics on a 62 flex racquet are not going to fit a racquet the same except for a 65 flex. Now those "good" mechanics are a liability to your timing and one of your joints is likely to complain. Much the same can be said about changing weight without changing flex, which also factors into the dynamics of ball contact, frame deflection and ball trajectory. Change either one or both and you will need time to adapt your mechanics to the situation. Along the way, pain may be temporary if you adjust or permanent if you are too grooved in your mechanics to make the transition.

If this game was easy, everyone would be great at it? N'est pas?

louis netman
06-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Kinsella, you bring up an excellent point. When I demo a bunch of rackets, I modify them all to be my preferred 368 g, and 12 points HL. Although some of the weight distribution may not match perfectly, it's close enough for my tender arm. When I ignorantly tried demoing without modifications, I experienced new dimensions in pain in various parts of my arm and hand...