PDA

View Full Version : Ruling on serve

86golf
09-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Last night in a 7.5 combo match I hit a nasty kicker out wide in the ad court for an ace...then my ball proceeded to travel into the adjacent court and strike the server on the adjacent court before it bounced twice. If it matters, it was the opposing teams server on line 1 on the adjacent court and we were playing line 2 next to them. The Ace stood, but I'm wondering if a let could have been called.

polski
09-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Last night in a 7.5 combo match I hit a nasty kicker out wide in the ad court for an ace...then my ball proceeded to travel into the adjacent court and strike the server on the adjacent court before it bounced twice. If it matters, it was the opposing teams server on line 1 on the adjacent court and we were playing line 2 next to them. The Ace stood, but I'm wondering if a let could have been called.

If it interfered with their point, they can call a let. You or your opponents cannot call a let for the neighboring court.

Nice serve...I am picturing courts that are really close together (12' between is the legal minimum) & a server on the neighboring court standing in the doubles alley. Still...that's a heckuva kick!

polski
09-14-2010, 09:43 AM
I think I see what you are asking, could your opponents have called a let since the serve hit another person.

The answer is no. People on neighboring courts are considered "fixed objects" just like a ref, ball boy, linesperson, etc. Your opponent would need to be able to get the ball before it strikes a fixed object...no different than the ball going into the fence before the 2nd bounce.

Perry the Platypus
09-14-2010, 09:45 AM
I do that frequently enough to know that your opponent cannot call a let in that case.

My opponents get particularly frustrated if I serve them into the fence (outside) or the curtain (inside)