PDA

View Full Version : bad string job or something else?

jdawgg
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
So I strung two racquets last weekend and I hadn't strung a racquet in about 3 years (strung about 3 racquets with my crank stringing machine, thats about it). So I really had to completely relearn how to string racquets and how to use my stringing machine without the user manual which disappeared on me. Using Yulitle's youtube videos I was able to string my racquets semi-successfully.

I had a lot of trouble with the fixed clamps because I forgot to lock them sometimes and I didn't realize that was so important to hold tension, LOL. Ended up trashing 20 ft of my wilson enduro tour (3 year old string). At one point the ball bearing slot that holds the string for tension wasnt big enough to hold the string. I didn't realize that you just need to push it down... i ended up toying with the screw with the spring on it next to it. No idea what that does could someone tell me? I hope it didnt screw up the tension.

Which gets me to the point of this whole post. My strings broke yesterday after about 4 hours of total playtime. Wilson Enduro Tour 17 gauge, like I said, strings that had been sitting for 3 years -- they're poly so I didn't expect them to break that fast at all? I mean i put some mean topspin on the ball and I did hit with a 5.0 but four hours? really? Strung them at 62-63 pounds and I figure because it's a crank it'll lose 10% of the tension as well so I factored that in.

I noticed the strings had pretty big notches on it after it broke. Broke kind of close to the middle of the racquet. I'm a perfectionist and I spent all day stringing one racquet and followed a lot of Yulite's techniques. My stringing machine hasn't been calibrated... could that be it? I don't think I really have access to anything to calibrate it with and im pretty broke right now. What are some things that a bad string job could do to cause the strings to break early?

I plan on going to a tennis shop tommorow and getting some luxilon big banger alu power, I know its expensive and im broke but I hear it lasts for a while which is something I need until I get a job(plus I've really just wanted to try it for a while, haha). I've had strings that will last me a month that are a hybrid and the crosses break first. Not sure what they are as usually my mom, who plays tennis as well, goes out and gets them strung -- so if you think big banger is a bad choice for me as far as durability let me know an alternative.

jim e
09-14-2010, 04:13 PM
You only hit for 4 hours, and you noticed pretty big notches on the strings, then it may be possible that you did not fan your cross strings when you pulled them across the main strings, and possibly you burned some notches into them, and therefore the string broke early.
When you string the cross strings, not only string one cross string ahead to make weaving easier, but also pull the majority of the slack one ahead, and fan the cross strings across the stringbed to not get the string burn notches.
This may not be the problem, but as you said you did notice big notching at only 4 hours of play, and they got there some way.Just a suggestion since you were asking for a possible solution.Good luck on your next string job.

esgee48
09-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Another issue could be the tension you pulled. You did ask about calibration. You should see if you can find a copy of your machine's manual online to determine how to calibrate your machine. Did the string bed feel like 62-63 # when you were done? If not, then it's time to calibrate your machine.

jdawgg
09-15-2010, 07:37 AM
You only hit for 4 hours, and you noticed pretty big notches on the strings, then it may be possible that you did not fan your cross strings when you pulled them across the main strings, and possibly you burned some notches into them, and therefore the string broke early.
When you string the cross strings, not only string one cross string ahead to make weaving easier, but also pull the majority of the slack one ahead, and fan the cross strings across the stringbed to not get the string burn notches.
This may not be the problem, but as you said you did notice big notching at only 4 hours of play, and they got there some way.Just a suggestion since you were asking for a possible solution.Good luck on your next string job.

I definitely made it a point of emphasis to fan the crosses when pulling them across the mains. I saw that tip that Yultle had of pulling the crosses one ahead before you tension them... I didn't follow it cause it wasn't super clear to me how that would be of benefit. Apparently its faster? I just wanted to keep it simple.

Thanks for the suggestion and good luck.

jdawgg
09-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Another issue could be the tension you pulled. You did ask about calibration. You should see if you can find a copy of your machine's manual online to determine how to calibrate your machine. Did the string bed feel like 62-63 # when you were done? If not, then it's time to calibrate your machine.

It's an Eagnas crank machine -- I couldn't find any kind of manual online from Eagnas... if you know where I can find that please tell me.

The problem with feel is that I dont have enough experience to say "oh this feels like 70 pounds". It did feel real tight but 62-63 should be tight... then again if its losing 6 pounds in tension then maybe it was strung over 62-3lbs, because it would have to be 56lbs and I really doubt it was.

Any cheap suggestions on how to calibrate my machine? I'll probably just take the other racquet I strung to this tennis shop and see what the guy thinks.

struggle
09-15-2010, 08:28 AM
i have a combo 910 and i have the manual.
pics of my machine are here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=109611&highlight=eagnas+combo+910&page=14

likely, you have the same tension head, my machine is new this spring.

i'll be happy to scan and e-mail you the calibration instructions or copy and mail the whole manual if you need.

tbuggle at yawhew dot calm

edit: i see your machine is a few years old. what model? might still be the same Tension head/calibration procedures.

also, if you can get a reference number (say machine set 60 pulls 55 pounds), you could always just adjust the knob accordingly.
me though, i like my machine to read correct, one less error zone.

Irvin
09-15-2010, 11:57 AM
When your Mom had your racket strung with hybrid strings and you broke the crosses after of month it probably had poly mains and something bigger than 17 gauge. You may want to try some Enduro 16 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Enduro_Tour_16_String/descpageACWILSON-WEND16.html) in the mains and a syn gut (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Stamina_16_String/descpageACWILSON-STAM16.html) in the crosses. That combination is cheaper than Lux strings.

Irvin

jdawgg
09-15-2010, 02:25 PM
i have a combo 910 and i have the manual.
pics of my machine are here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=109611&highlight=eagnas+combo+910&page=14

likely, you have the same tension head, my machine is new this spring.

i'll be happy to scan and e-mail you the calibration instructions or copy and mail the whole manual if you need.

tbuggle at yawhew dot calm

edit: i see your machine is a few years old. what model? might still be the same Tension head/calibration procedures.

also, if you can get a reference number (say machine set 60 pulls 55 pounds), you could always just adjust the knob accordingly.
me though, i like my machine to read correct, one less error zone.

I'm really not sure what model, should it say somewhere on the machine? Judging from those pics the crank/tension head looks the same. I'll email you for sure, thanks man.

As far as reference number I'm not sure how I would figure that out? I took the racquet I strung to a tennis shop and the guy had no clue what it felt like I strung it at... :-?

jdawgg
09-15-2010, 02:29 PM
When your Mom had your racket strung with hybrid strings and you broke the crosses after of month it probably had poly mains and something bigger than 17 gauge. You may want to try some Enduro 16 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Enduro_Tour_16_String/descpageACWILSON-WEND16.html) in the mains and a syn gut (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Stamina_16_String/descpageACWILSON-STAM16.html) in the crosses. That combination is cheaper than Lux strings.

Irvin

Ah, okay I didn't realize 17 guage was smaller than 16... lol. Kinda confusing when a bigger number is in reality a smaller string.

Thanks for all the help guys I really do appreciate it. New to these forums, not new to tennis, but I can already tell its going to be a really good resource for me :) and the community is really awesome.

esgee48
09-15-2010, 07:43 PM
This what I recommended to someone else using a dropweight. Method should work for your crank. Actually got this idea from Jim e or Irvin. If you obtain a manual from tbuggle, then by all means use it.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=348387