PDA

View Full Version : FXP Prestige mid--distortion

TM Prestige Classic
09-15-2010, 05:49 AM
Stringing FXP Prestige mids on my new Gamma X-2. The mains are Forten Aramid Gear @ 61 lbs. Crosses are syn gut at 63lbs. When finished, the hoops are more round and the racquets are 3/16" shorter.

My mounts are secure.
My crosses are straight.
The hoops are more round, but it's uniform.

At 3/16" shorter, should i be concerned?
Any tips on using 2 point machines and limiting distortion?

Should my mains be tighter to help restore the oval shape?

Thx

TM Prestige Classic
09-15-2010, 05:54 AM
...and I'm stringing crosses top down.

Supposedly that is better for the frame.

rufusbgood
09-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Next time try doing the Kevlar mains 10% lower than the crosses, 57/63.

Irvin
09-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Sounds like the support mounts are only becoming secure after they move in 3/16".

Irvin

MarrratSafin
09-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Sounds like the support mounts are only becoming secure after they move in 3/16".

Irvin

Absolutely. This is the key to stringing my classic Head Prestiges perfectly, at least on my machine even though it is a 6-point!

coachrick
09-15-2010, 02:22 PM
It could be worse. It could be a TX MASTER. Great racket! So many different shapes! :)

rufusbgood
09-15-2010, 02:24 PM
There's a reason Forten suggests stringing the mains 15% lower than the crosses on the back of the package. IMO, 15% is excessive but the 3% the OP did is gonna leave him with exactly what he got.

Ambivalent
09-15-2010, 02:28 PM
I think this is a common problem with prestige mids. I've seen this in one of my flexpoint prestige mids. Just thought this was an issue with the different stretchability of the strings i was using (hybrid) so i tried it again with a full poly setup and it was no longer distorted.

TM Prestige Classic
09-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the tips

I'll try reducing the tension of the mains by 10%. I'd like to keep the stringbed pretty stiff. I grew up playing with nylon around 67-68lbs.

I will also try cranking down the support posts. I might be able to see signs of movement on the steel beam. The tightening bolt leaves a footprint. If it's not perfectly circular, then I'll know.

TM Prestige Classic
09-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I think this is a common problem with prestige mids. I've seen this in one of my flexpoint prestige mids. Just thought this was an issue with the different stretchability of the strings i was using (hybrid) so i tried it again with a full poly setup and it was no longer distorted.

Do you recall what tension you had in the FXP with the hybrid and full poly?

Purist
09-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I just bought a Prestige mid and when I got it it was too short too. It looked like someone strung the racket's crosses from the bottom up - the racket looked like an upside down egg.

I've been stringing a long time and one thing I believe in is ... I forgot what it's called but when I set the mounting point for the throat, I add in a millimeter or two of pretension. This is mostly just to make sure that there isn't any slack.

Also, some people believe (and I'm one of them) that one goal you should have when stringing is that the shape (height and width) of the hoop should be the same before and after stringing. Anything else would seem imbalanced. The next time I string I will raise the crosses by two pounds (over the mains), presuming the same string. I believe the culprit for a hoop that got wider is that the friction when pulling the cross strings causes them to end up looser then the mains.

When I bought this racket it had a poly/synthetic hybrid and the racket was also about 5/16th of an inch too short. If I were to use the same hybrid, I'd raise the tension of the crosses by two pounds regardless of the different string types.