PDA

View Full Version : O3 Tour has some nice spin!

TwistServe
05-31-2005, 07:08 PM
Been testing out my O3 tour... I just gotta say this is the spin machine! Both my forehands and backhands have tons of spin, and I can really hit the heavy ball when I need to. Each stroke feels real solid but the racquet does lack a little pop!

Second serves is a beauty. I've never had so many consistent kickserves kicking to my opponents shoulders. People that were watching us played complimented me on my kickserves after the games.

So two thumbs up! Goal of the spin machine achieved!

naught33
06-01-2005, 02:10 AM
have you used an NXG OS before? How does this racquet compare to that? Princetennis.com says the O3 tour has more power according to their power rankings, but that seems odd to me given the NXG is longer and the OS has a bigger headsize?

AndrewD
06-01-2005, 03:05 AM
I've used the NXG OS and didn't feel it had as much power as the 03Tour. Actually, I felt the POG OS had more available, controllable power than the NXG OS. However, with the 03Tour I felt it had far greater comfort than the NXG, far more manoueverability and better all-around playability. It provides a very nice feel 'in the hand', isn't at all sluggish through the air - which is great for volleying, women and ageing players-, spin is very easy to generate (moreso with some added weight) and power is quite good (again, better with some added weight). Definately the highpoint from Prince, for me, over the last 10 years (along with Diablo and Warrior).

TwistServe,
what kind of string are you using in it? One of the guys I assist uses just cheap and simple Prince Duraflex 17 and 18 gauge and the response is fantastic. We've actually found the Duraflex to provide an equal response to all but the very top end synth gut strings and a far better response than natural gut. It emphasises the spin potential while eliminating any muted sensation you might find. He's also alternated between 3 and 6 grams of lead tape right at the 12 o'clock position and finds that an excellent way to increase spin. Now, he is a wheelchair tennis player so you might find it more applicable at 3 & 9.

TwistServe
06-01-2005, 05:51 AM
I've used the NXG OS and didn't feel it had as much power as the 03Tour. Actually, I felt the POG OS had more available, controllable power than the NXG OS. However, with the 03Tour I felt it had far greater comfort than the NXG, far more manoueverability and better all-around playability. It provides a very nice feel 'in the hand', isn't at all sluggish through the air - which is great for volleying, women and ageing players-, spin is very easy to generate (moreso with some added weight) and power is quite good (again, better with some added weight). Definately the highpoint from Prince, for me, over the last 10 years (along with Diablo and Warrior).

TwistServe,
what kind of string are you using in it? One of the guys I assist uses just cheap and simple Prince Duraflex 17 and 18 gauge and the response is fantastic. We've actually found the Duraflex to provide an equal response to all but the very top end synth gut strings and a far better response than natural gut. It emphasises the spin potential while eliminating any muted sensation you might find. He's also alternated between 3 and 6 grams of lead tape right at the 12 o'clock position and finds that an excellent way to increase spin. Now, he is a wheelchair tennis player so you might find it more applicable at 3 & 9.

I'm using Timo18s at 56#. I've experienced increased spin with this string in the past so I'm assuming it'll work nicely on the O3.

As for lead tape: What are the benefits of putting it at 12 o'clock vesus putting it at 3 and 9 o'clock? What will increase spin, and what will increase pop on my serve?

If the racquet is 11.6oz strung, how much does 6gram add to the weight.. basically whats the conversion of grams to oz? I think I can figure that one out by searching the web though.

AndrewD
06-01-2005, 06:17 AM
For a wheelchair player, putting the weight at 12 o'clock moves the sweetspot up and makes it a touch more head heavy. It can be a bonus as they often have to hit a lot more shots up high on the frame. If you can imagine, their reach is limited by the chair, they rarely want a ball at waist height (due to interference from the chair) so they're often digging the balls out from down low or hitting high, bouncing shots. Helps if the centre of percussion is shifted up a bit. Stability is necessary but not in the same way as it is for us as they dont take many shots at the net and the game is designed around spin and placement, almost like table tennis. So a bit of extra 'clout' up high can power those out-wide balls over the net.

He moves between weights (often playing in stock form) depending on his opponent, how he feels on the day and the conditions. They could all play with heavier frames than most any of us as, most of, these guys are phenomenally strong in the arms.

If your racquet is 11.6 ounces and you add 6 grams of weight then you'll have an overall weight of, roughly, 11.8 ounces. 1 ounce = approximately 28.35grams.

I think any 18 gauge string, within reason, works very well with the 03Tour and if you want less power a 17 gauge is a nice choice as well.

tedmeister
06-08-2005, 09:48 PM
I was looking at the O3 tours that we have in stock and I was a bit surprised that some of them has midplus on it while the rest has midsize written at the top. On the attached card, it doesn't say that it comes in any other size. Our Demo says midsize on it. Could this be just a mistake just like what happened to the Wilson H tours before or is there a difference between them. Weighed a midplus and a Midsize and the difference is not more than 4 grams. What do you guys have on the ones you got?

TwistServe
06-08-2005, 09:54 PM
I was looking at the O3 tours that we have in stock and I was a bit surprised that some of them has midplus on it while the rest has midsize written at the top. On the attached card, it doesn't say that it comes in any other size. Our Demo says midsize on it. Could this be just a mistake just like what happened to the Wilson H tours before or is there a difference between them. Weighed a midplus and a Midsize and the difference is not more than 4 grams. What do you guys have on the ones you got?

Hmm I just notcied that.. the one I brought from the local store says "MidSize+"... The one I got from TW says "MidPlus"..

I played with the MidSize+ the other day, snapped a string.. I pulled out the MidPlus and it felt a lil different. I thought the string tension was different so I adjusted my strokes in a few minutes and all was good again.. hmmmm WTF!

Is it just a text change or were the models redesigned.

tedmeister
06-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Can't say for sure. I almost can swear that the "midplus" is just a little bit wider at the bottom half of the hoop but this might just be an illusion as my eyes are tired after a day's worth of stringing and as it goes, we see what we expect to see. They are all sold under the same base stock number whether it says mid or midplus so I imagine that we ordered just one head size for the O3 tour. My buddy says they are a bit wider too but maybe there's the power of suggestion at work there. Good(or not good?!) you got both of them, pls check if there is any such difference between your sticks. I hope it's just my failing eyes.

edge
06-09-2005, 04:34 AM
I think MIdPLus were the initial demos and the production runs are Midsize+.

POGO
06-09-2005, 04:47 AM
I think MIdPLus were the initial demos and the production runs are Midsize+.
Usually, if the frames were demos, there would be a stencil stating "demo" on the racket.

POGO
06-09-2005, 04:50 AM
Hmm I just notcied that.. the one I brought from the local store says "MidSize+"... The one I got from TW says "MidPlus"..

I played with the MidSize+ the other day, snapped a string.. I pulled out the MidPlus and it felt a lil different. I thought the string tension was different so I adjusted my strokes in a few minutes and all was good again.. hmmmm WTF!

Hmmmmmmm that is interesting. Twist, compare the revision on both rackets if they are the same. The lettering revision is usually in a bracket <> located around where it states the string tensions. Prince might have changed the O3 tour slightly.

AJK1
06-09-2005, 05:34 AM
Oh Dear, that's suss. Sounds strange that a new model can have these discrepancies! What does TW say about this?