PDA

View Full Version : Early Start

Winning Ugly
09-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Just curious. I had a great USTA league season (particularly in the seniors) and won both district matches for a team that made sectionals. I did not at all feel outclassed at the sectionals but really stunk up the joint. I played excusively doubles, typically court 1.

Based on that performace I was quite surprised when my team captain told me I had been bumped up based on "Early Start Ratings."

Question is, when the final ratings come out can I get bumped down if the folks who beat me at sectionals get stomped at Nationals as I expect they will?

Kostas
09-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Just curious. I had a great USTA league season (particularly in the seniors) and won both district matches for a team that made sectionals. I did not at all feel outclassed at the sectionals but really stunk up the joint. I played excusively doubles, typically court 1.

Based on that performace I was quite surprised when my team captain told me I had been bumped up based on "Early Start Ratings."

Question is, when the final ratings come out can I get bumped down if the folks who beat me at sectionals get stomped at Nationals as I expect they will?

So you had a "great" season, played and won "district" matches, and went to and played in Sectionals and you were "quite suprised" when you learned that you were bumped up? Interesting...

Perhaps you thought that USTA should let you stay at whatever this current level is that you apparently dominated this year to again dominate next year. That sounds equitable for everyone right?

As for the early start versus the "final" ratings, I can't speak about that because we don't have early start ratings in my section. But good luck with all that.

slick
09-16-2010, 09:58 AM
The whole thing makes no sense. I'm a 4.0 player. Overall record 16-4. Made Nationals in Tri level, sectionals in mixed dubs and sectionals in Men's 4.0. Was 4-1 in 4.o sectionals. The other 3 losses were in mixed dubs. Won all tri level matches.

I stayed a 4.0. Guys on my team with worse records got bumped.

Makes no sense.

JoelDali
09-16-2010, 10:47 AM
The whole thing makes no sense. I'm a 4.0 player. Overall record 16-4. Made Nationals in Tri level, sectionals in mixed dubs and sectionals in Men's 4.0. Was 4-1 in 4.o sectionals. The other 3 losses were in mixed dubs. Won all tri level matches.

I stayed a 4.0. Guys on my team with worse records got bumped.

Makes no sense.

I have seen the algorithm, its incredibly obtuse but make sense once you break it down.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Algorithm_Tarjan.gif

Winning Ugly
09-17-2010, 02:45 PM
So you had a "great" season, played and won "district" matches, and went to and played in Sectionals and you were "quite suprised" when you learned that you were bumped up? Interesting...

Perhaps you thought that USTA should let you stay at whatever this current level is that you apparently dominated this year to again dominate next year. That sounds equitable for everyone right?

As for the early start versus the "final" ratings, I can't speak about that because we don't have early start ratings in my section. But good luck with all that.

I did not "dominate" at the 3.5 level. The senior matches I won were mostly in the 6-4, 6-3 range, and I lost 2 matches in adult league play. Finally, I got plastered at the senior sectionals by some 3.5s who, while very strong, did not impress me as 4.0s. I was told by my team captain, who researches such things, that the way things work I would be very unlikely to be bumped. THAT'S why I was surprised.

Truth be told, I'd rather play at 4.0 for the challenge. I am no sandbagger, in fact I despise them. But, I have mixed feelings leaving the guys I have enjoyed playing with and against for the last 25 years -- that is really what is driving my question. I partly hope that I do NOT get bumped back once final ratings come out -- that may be the only way I can get any 4.0 teams to pick me up next year, and I do feel ready to give it a shot.

Thanks....

Winning Ugly
09-17-2010, 02:47 PM
I have seen the algorithm, its incredibly obtuse but make sense once you break it down.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Algorithm_Tarjan.gif

OK -- care to translate that to something we can understand?

All I want to know is how likely is it for me to get "demoted" in January when they guys who whipped me in Sectionals get killed in Nationals...

mlktennis
09-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Me thinks Jdali is a joking.

dizzlmcwizzl
09-18-2010, 04:57 AM

I have had experinece with two players on my teams getting bumped up in early start ratings and then leveled down at the end of the year ratings. So it is possible. However, recently I spoke with a coordinator from a district and he claimed that there would be another upward adjustment this year to player ratings so I would think that even if your rating came down a little at the end of the year this probably not be enough to compensate for any adjustment that will occur.

Finally, tri level and mixed results do not count in your ratings if you are playing adult tennis in any age group.

Winning Ugly
09-18-2010, 07:26 AM
I have had experinece with two players on my teams getting bumped up in early start ratings and then leveled down at the end of the year ratings. So it is possible. However, recently I spoke with a coordinator from a district and he claimed that there would be another upward adjustment this year to player ratings so I would think that even if your rating came down a little at the end of the year this probably not be enough to compensate for any adjustment that will occur.

Finally, tri level and mixed results do not count in your ratings if you are playing adult tennis in any age group.

Thanks -- I am in your district and do not play mixed or tri-level...I guess I'll just have to wait until January.

I had not heard about another upward push -- the USTA seems intent to kill what's left of 2.5 competition...sort of intimidating for the folks breaking in.

Given the huge logjam at 3.5 and 4.0, for the life of me I do not know why they don't add 3.25 and 3.75 to the mix -- the competition would be much better and there would still be plenty of teams. In my case, I'd probably bounce between 3.5 and 3.75 and so would most of my teammates. I guess just too much work for the league coordinators to add the extra playoffs...