PDA

View Full Version : How often to change the grommets?

iebro
09-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Is it better to change the grommets when change the string each time?

Irvin
09-16-2010, 10:07 AM
How often do you change your strings? Are the grommets worn? Are the strings breaking due to a grommet problem?

As a general rule I would not replace the grommet unless I suspect a problem with the grommet or is the knot holes or the head protector are badly worn.

Irvin

willdog123
09-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Unless you have money to blow, most people change their grommets when they wear out.

rich s
09-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Is it better to change the grommets when change the string each time?

The question then becomes: How often do you restring?

the general rule that I use is to determine when to change grommets is:

When a grommet tube cracks/breaks and the string touches the frame directly

or

when the bumper wears sufficiently that the graphite under the bumper is exposed

or

when the bumper cracks.

mikeler
09-16-2010, 01:01 PM
The question then becomes: How often do you restring?

the general rule that I use is to determine when to change grommets is:

When a grommet tube cracks/breaks and the string touches the frame directly

or

when the bumper wears sufficiently that the graphite under the bumper is exposed

or

when the bumper cracks.

I adhere by these 3 standards as well.

jim e
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
If someone brings in a racquet to me to string, and there is 1 or 2 cracked or worn down grommets, I will normally replace those single grommets, and tell the client that next time they may wish to order new grommets, or tell me to order a grommet set ahead of time, as the next string job it would be all set for them, as long as grommet set is still avail. (some are getting hard to come by). If there are a few cracked grommets, then I will just tube those, and tell the client thats the last string job with those grommets, again depends on availability. I have one person I tube a # of grommets each time, as they are not avail. no other option. I don't even charge for tubing or single grommet replacements. (I don't really know if others charge for single grommet replacement or tubing services I just do it as a service for clients at no charge).

For grommet set replacements, I usually charge for the price of the grommets plus shipping, as usually I end up just ordering a single grommet set to get it in for someone, and I have that S&H charge to me since its a small order, + $10.00 labor fee.I really don't know what the standard fee is for this, but it seems to be reasonable, and it offers a service. I always tell the client that they can order their own, and attempt to replace it themself, but no one has done that as yet.

Seems like racquet manuf. stop production of grommets too early. Its ashame there is no cross reference to other models grommet sets that fit the discontinued ones as I know that some newer sets fit some older discontinued ones.

As a side note, I usually save some of the old grommet sets, especially where just the bumper guard part is worn, and the grommets are still decent, as those can be cut up and used as replacement grommets for those with 1 or 2 cracked grommets.Works nice, even though I have all the single sizes, after a while certain sizes gets used up, and the old grommet sets come in handy!

aznfatmonkey
09-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Recently, my grommet ripped all the way down at the tie-off hole while i was tying the knot. I'm pretty mad because I have to take it to the tennis shop. It costs 10 dollars for the grommet, and they'll put it in for me if I have them string for me, which is another 20 dollars. It will end up costing me 30 dollars. I've heard it's really annoying to put it in yourself, so I'm not going to try. While I'm waiting, I don't have a backup racquet to use. This is the first time I've had this problem, and I've had my racquet for 3 years. I've only started stringing recently, so I was wondering if the problem could be caused because I'm not tying the knot correctly?

mad dog1
09-19-2010, 06:11 PM
^^ just buy the grommet set & try it yourself. it's not that hard. just because you've read it's hard for others doesn't mean it will be for you. some are harder than others, but it just takes a bit of patience and common sense. if it's not going in, just don't try to force it.

brownbearfalling
09-20-2010, 01:10 AM
How often you have to change grommets and how easy they are to do depends on the racquets. The cap grommets on the prestriges last forever.

the grommets on the head speed series are flimsy.

Wilson racquet grommets are pretty easy to do and mostly the same for all their racquets.

One other reason that people change grommets is to hide lead tape under the grommets.

Or

To clean your racquet. Sometimes i get stencil paint on my frame or get dirt in my frame. I have never played on clay but I imagine the clay gets your racquet pretty dirty.

wrxtotoro
09-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Recently, my grommet ripped all the way down at the tie-off hole while i was tying the knot. I'm pretty mad because I have to take it to the tennis shop. It costs 10 dollars for the grommet, and they'll put it in for me if I have them string for me, which is another 20 dollars. It will end up costing me 30 dollars. I've heard it's really annoying to put it in yourself, so I'm not going to try. While I'm waiting, I don't have a backup racquet to use. This is the first time I've had this problem, and I've had my racquet for 3 years. I've only started stringing recently, so I was wondering if the problem could be caused because I'm not tying the knot correctly?

Actually it's pretty easy to change grommet on a 16x19 racket. Just have an awls and a few zip-ties ready and you will be fine. It usually takes me less than 10 minutes.

Changing grommet on a 18x20 mid or mid plus racket can be a pain though.

aznfatmonkey
09-20-2010, 08:50 PM
I have a pure-storm tour (16x20). I'm trying to take the grommets off right now, and i'm having a hard time just doing that because some are pretty flared. :mad: I imagine it will be even harder putting them on. I'm really ****ed because I didnt' realize that I don't have to change one of the pieces, and that's the one I'm having the most trouble with. I can't put it back in anymore because the tubes are really bent, so they don't go through the right holes.

aznfatmonkey
09-20-2010, 09:00 PM
I got them off. I just had to pull really hard with pliers. At first, I didn't want to pull too hard. My grommets are coming tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take too long.

mikeler
09-21-2010, 06:35 AM
I got them off. I just had to pull really hard with pliers. At first, I didn't want to pull too hard. My grommets are coming tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take too long.

I've heard changing the grommets on these frames is not fun. Since I use the same frame, let me know how it goes.

Irvin
09-21-2010, 08:25 AM
I have a pure-storm tour (16x20). I'm trying to take the grommets off right now, and i'm having a hard time just doing that because some are pretty flared. :mad: I imagine it will be even harder putting them on. I'm really ****ed because I didnt' realize that I don't have to change one of the pieces, and that's the one I'm having the most trouble with. I can't put it back in anymore because the tubes are really bent, so they don't go through the right holes.

No problem if you tear them taking them off. You will never get a flared grommet back in the racket and your new grommets will not be flared. There in lies the problem. When you pull tension on the 7th main the grommet may want to pull out of the frame since it is not going to be flared. Be careful if the grommet pulls out the string could cut into the frame and ruin your racket. Make sure (if you do not have a flaring tool (http://tiny.cc/0mzev)) that you hold that grommet in with your finger when you pull tension.

Irvin

aznfatmonkey
09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
No problem if you tear them taking them off. You will never get a flared grommet back in the racket and your new grommets will not be flared. There in lies the problem. When you pull tension on the 7th main the grommet may want to pull out of the frame since it is not going to be flared. Be careful if the grommet pulls out the string could cut into the frame and ruin your racket. Make sure (if you do not have a flaring tool (http://tiny.cc/0mzev)) that you hold that grommet in with your finger when you pull tension.

Irvin

Thanks for the advice. You may have saved me a racquet. Do I only have to hold onto the grommet for the 7th main, or should I do it for all of them?

coachrick
09-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. You may have saved me a racquet. Do I only have to hold onto the grommet for the 7th main, or should I do it for all of them?

Any of the 'corner' grommets will tend to pull out when you first apply tension. Just put a thumb on it and make sure it doesn't start to pull out as you tension the string. If it holds at first, it will likely 'crimp' properly and hold position.

If you have a Radio Shack nearby, they sell razor sharp cutters called Nippy Cutters. The blades are thin and super sharp...great for cutting the 'flares' off of flared grommets. They are much easier to remove after that. IF you are super careful, you can slice the flared barrels off using a razor knife or blade; BUT, it is easy to cut or scratch the frame if it gets away from you. I'd invest in Nippy Cutters...best $4 you'll spend ;) .

aznfatmonkey
09-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Any of the 'corner' grommets will tend to pull out when you first apply tension. Just put a thumb on it and make sure it doesn't start to pull out as you tension the string. If it holds at first, it will likely 'crimp' properly and hold position.

If you have a Radio Shack nearby, they sell razor sharp cutters called Nippy Cutters. The blades are thin and super sharp...great for cutting the 'flares' off of flared grommets. They are much easier to remove after that. IF you are super careful, you can slice the flared barrels off using a razor knife or blade; BUT, it is easy to cut or scratch the frame if it gets away from you. I'd invest in Nippy Cutters...best $4 you'll spend ;) .

I don't know. I don't think I change grommets enough for that to be worth it.