PDA

View Full Version : Prince 03 tour vs. POG longbody

Kirko
05-31-2005, 09:34 PM
which do you think has best spin potential ? I have been using the POG longbody & have been duly impressed with massive spin it comes with with little effort from me.

AndrewD
06-01-2005, 02:23 AM
Well, a longbody racquet with an open string pattern does seem to generate quite a bit of spin regardless, however, Id say it will be up to the individual and their particular style of stroke.
If you want something that swings faster, the 03 Tour has a lower weight and swingweight plus a 16x18 string pattern so that would work well for you.
If you like a touch heavier (it all depends how you generate your spin) then the POG longbody is the better option.

Regardless, I think the 03 Tour is a better all-around frame as the POG longbody is just too limiting up at net whereas the 03 really shines there. Still, if you like the longbody and don't find it hampers you in certain areas of the game then stick with it. Personally, I dont think they're a good idea but to each his own.

louisc
06-01-2005, 03:21 AM
Kirko

My views: I love the feel of the POG LB, but with a single handed-handed backhand, playing at net quite a bit, and on fast astroturf, I found its 28" too unwieldy and difficult to get used to at the baseline. So I acquired two of them and had them shortened to 27.25". Perfect. No loss of spin, I gained some pace because I could hit out more feeling more confident that I could control the frame. The shortened POG LBs have a very similar spec to the Diablo Midplus.

I have tried the O3 Tour. Good frame, but a bit on the light side. I could generate good spin, but I had to work harder to get depth and pace, and it didn't have that solid feel you get with the POG range. You could of course customise the O3 Tour it to make it heavier, but I haven't tried that.

Louis

AndrewD
06-01-2005, 03:33 AM
louisc,
spot on. the 03 Tour is a very customisable racquet and Im actually wondering if Prince didn't take their lead from Babolat. Like the PD, the 03 Tour plays very well in stock form but, also like the PD, it plays better for more accomplished players with a bit of weight added. I dont think the 03 is as tension sensitive as the PD but I think the versatility is what Prince were going for.

Hopefully, it won't be as neglected by the 'players' crowd as the Dunlop 300G and Head i-Radical were (I know they're popular but dont feel theyre as appreciated as they should have been). Both those frames are fine stock but, for better players, they can be excellent all-court weapons with some weight added. So their appeal lies across the spectrum of age, sex and playing ability - all dependent on whether you weight them up or not. Perhaps another thing that Prince were hoping for?