PDA

View Full Version : How to Use Nylon Tubing?

indyfob2008
09-17-2010, 12:06 PM
I was hoping I could find a video or a thread w/ instructions on "how to use nylon tubing" if you have worn out grommets...I ordered some new grommets today but I need to string a racquet right now...

Irvin
09-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Never unless absolutely necessary. I think mine if teflon and not nylon but no matter. If at all possible I would prefer to replace the grommets. If there is no other option I will use tubing if it is necessary.

Irvin

Centered
09-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I've been told it's impossible to tube double grommets, which is a big problem if replacement grommet strips aren't available.

Is there a solution for broken double grommets, or do the racquets have to be thrown away?

jswinf
09-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a YuLitle youtube video on it, and all his are good. But, when I tried using tubing I found it to be a real bear. Since I mostly string for myself, I'm inclined to do without it if at all possible, even if it risks a string breaking sooner than it should.

Heck, I'm often embarrassed because I don't break strings enough. Maybe I should sharpen all my grommets.

jim e
09-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Irvin is correct.
Teflon tubing is much easier to use than nylon or plastic tubing.
He is also correct that replacing single grommets is easier as well.
I usually keep all sizes of single replacement grommets stock,but there are times when you don't have a certain size in stock and so I will cut up old grommet sets where some of the grommets are in decent shape, and use those for single grommet replacements. I have even cut up a new grommet sets that I had for racquets that I no longer had, and that gives me a good # of replacement single grommets. Thats a nice way to fix a single cracked grommet or 2. But when there are multiple cracked or brittle grommets, then its time for a replacement set if available.

Centered
09-18-2010, 01:44 PM
as for the double grommet problem?

rufusbgood
09-18-2010, 02:17 PM
as for the double grommet problem?

Long before the introduction of double grommets there were all sorts of racquets that called for stringing a main and a cross through a single hole. These continue to be called "shared holes" and are seen frequently in badminton stringing. Prince introduced the double grommets to try to make things easier for the stringer, so that the loops of string on the outside of the frame would automatically lie parallel.

If you find yourself in the situation of needing to replace one, it can be replaced with a single Fittex grommet preferably 4mm or more in diameter. To avoid crossovers on the outside of the frame though you will have to use your eyes some more.

Centered
09-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Ah, so the shop that told me I'd have to throw the racquet away because it can't possibly by strung due to old double grommets was wrong.

That's not surprising given their track record.

The racquet is a Wilson Ultra 2 standard. It was sold to me by someone on the auction site years ago who neglected to mention that the grommets were bad.

rufusbgood
09-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Ah, so the shop that told me I'd have to throw the racquet away because it can't possibly by strung due to old double grommets was wrong.

That's not surprising given their track record.

The racquet is a Wilson Ultra 2 standard. It was sold to me by someone on the auction site years ago who neglected to mention that the grommets were bad.

Well, on the one hand I misunderstood your question which I thought was about Prince's double barreled grommets.

On the other hand, if you are looking to string up an Ultra 2 with bad grommets there's any number of ways to address the problem and as the saying goes - where there's a will there's a way. One approach would be to use Fittex grommets, another approach would be to do as Jim E described, cut up some old grommet strips and piece them in where necessary. It won't be pretty but it will work. As long as the racquet is not cracked and the upper shoulders have not been worn down to nothing from court abrasion you should be able to get it strung.

Centered
09-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I'll take a few shots tomorrow. The grommets are definitely in bad shape.

Radicalized
09-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Does anyone know the I.D. (inside diameter) and O.D. (outside diameter) of th nylon or Teflon tubing that he or she uses?

struggle
09-23-2010, 09:12 AM
question:

what about shared or even more critical....tie off holes?

time to replace? or can you tie a knot on a tube?

drakulie
09-23-2010, 09:27 AM
^^You can tie off on a tube.

jim e
09-23-2010, 11:36 AM
The times when I found a cracked grommet that is a tie off grommet, I would replace the single grommet, as tubing the grommet, and placing another string in there would be a difficult task if there is not enough room to fit all that in one old grommet.(2 strings and both tubed can be a struggle to get into one old breaking down grommet).
Seems it would be much easier to just remove the single grommet.The grommet grinder works nice for those spots, just twist it into the grommet clockwise, and you will feel it separate from the strip. Then pull it off the grinder, and then remove the grinder from the racquet by slowly twisting it counterclockwise, and thats all there is to it.
For those who do not feel comfortable doing this, the next time you are going to replace the entire set, just practice using a grinder, and you will see just how easy it is to remove a single grommet.You can then replace it with single replacements, like the Fittex that are sold in various sizes, or use one from an old set of grommets that you cut up for this purpose.
You can even just purchase an extra grommet set just to cut it up, and now you can have a good assortment of sizes for replacements, all you need to do is trim them nice with something like an exacto knife, to trim it nice to fit into the spot.At times (most of the time), I am able to even raise up the grommet strip just enough to place a trimmed grommet into place against the frame, then put the strip back down over it, and it looks nice as well this way.If you cannot raise the strip, then just place it right over the strip, and string it up as normal.
This is much easier than attempting to tube a tie off grommet, and it is a done deal, as you will not have to fool with the tube next time around.