PDA

View Full Version : score dispute post-handshake

spot
09-20-2010, 06:14 PM
My girlfriend is a coordinator for ALTA and had an issue come up and figured I'd get people's opinion here. Basically it was after the handshake that one of the teams realized that they may have conceded the match when it was just 5-6 in the third set. (Basically the team that was down was just so distraught over getting broken that they mistakenly thought that they had lost when in reality the other team shoudl have had to serve out the last game.

The losing team shook hands and were sitting on the sidelines talking about it. She says that it occurred to her on her own after the match. (maybe 5 minutes later) They conferred with one of the winning players husbands and they worked out that they were a game short based on the fact that it was time to switch sides.

My thought woudl be that once both teams mutually agree that the game is over and you start a new game, that you couldn't go back and dispute the score of a previous game. Once both teams mutually agree that a set is over and start the next set then you couldn't go back and dispute the score of a previous set. And so once both teams mutually agree that the match is over by shaking hands that you can't go back and dispute the score. But I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone knew a more "formal" rule since I couldn't find anything at all about when you are allowed to dispute the score.

willshot
09-20-2010, 06:16 PM
once you shake hands, ur done.

no going back unless its for "hits and giggles"

Z-Man
09-20-2010, 06:51 PM
You can change your mind on what you think the score is during a set or even during a game. I don't see why you can't change your mind after walking to then net. Surely one of the other two people knew the match wasn't over and should have said something. I'd say it's too late if any player has left the court.

johndagolfer
09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I think if there was an immediate "oh wait that's not the set, it's 6-5" I would say continue play, it was a simple brain fart. But 5 minutes is a bit excessive to say let's continue play.

Cindysphinx
09-21-2010, 03:40 AM
Once you shake hands, you are agreeing that the match has concluded. There can still be disputes over rules (e.g. who won a timed match), but you can't dispute facts.

I don't know of any rule that says you can't dispute something in Set One during Set Two. I can certainly envision circumstances in which a tangled mess would result if you dispute something in Set One after it has concluded, however.

Bedrock
09-21-2010, 08:18 AM
What was a reported score?

TNT34
09-21-2010, 09:02 AM
I hate not correcting correctable errors, and if everyone was still on the court this seems correctable. But the Code clearly states: "Shaking hands at end of the match is an acknowledgment by the players that the match is over." I guess that gives you an incentive to know the correct score before you shake hands.

nickarnold2000
09-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Were players drinking beer during the match?? :)

Ripper014
09-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Someone should have known the score... I find it hard to believe that one of the four players did not know the set was not over. My question is what does this say about the people that knew and said nothing. Or even for one of the husbands to speak up, this is just tennis it is not about winning at all costs. Tennis is a gentlemen's game afterall... isn't it? Like golf we have the option to call infractions on ourselves, though I know many don't but we should, including obvious line calls.

Cruzer
09-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Someone should have known the score... I find it hard to believe that one of the four players did not know the set was not over. My question is what does this say about the people that knew and said nothing. Or even for one of the husbands to speak up, this is just tennis it is not about winning at all costs. Tennis is a gentlemen's game afterall... isn't it? Like golf we have the option to call infractions on ourselves, though I know many don't but we should, including obvious line calls.

Who said no one knew what the real score was? I suspect that at least one of the "winners" knew the real score but was content to take the victory any way they could get it.

In USTA matches spectators are not supposed to get involved in any aspect of the match including what the score is. I have witnessed someone shaking hands with their opponent thinking the match was over when it was not. Almost all the spectators knew that the match was not over but the score is whatever the players on the court agree that it is.

Spokewench
09-24-2010, 09:22 AM
I was playing in a league match earlier this year with one of my players that insists that she does not need to know the rules, nor does she care what they really are. She just likes to have fun playing tennis. Over the years, I have asked her to familarize herself with the rules, but she just won't. It was okay when she was playing 3.0, cause most of the gals don't know the rules and really don't care.

So, we are playing, the score was somethign like 4-2 or so and one of our opponents reaches over as if to shake her hand; she just reaches over and shakes her hand. They did not know the rule on shaking hands obviously, we just went to the side took our break and switched sides.

I quietly told my partner never to do that again since she could have called the set at that time. She asked me if someone puts their hand out how is she going to refuse to shake their hand. I told her simply just don't shake it!

tennis tom
09-24-2010, 11:00 AM
I quietly told my partner never to do that again since she could have called the set at that time. She asked me if someone puts their hand out how is she going to refuse to shake their hand. I told her simply just don't shake it!

I would think, since it was doubles, all four players would have to shake hands to make it official. Hypothetically, maybe the two who shook hands would be done and the two who didn't should continue the match playing singles--just kidding.

Steady Eddy
09-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for this thread. Once, after a win, and after we'd shaken hands after a doubles set, this guy says, "Wait a sec, since we broke serve..." I really didn't feel like reconstructing the set, just because he hadn't been paying attention.

(Also, his point about a service break was irrelevant. In this set servers hadn't been experiencing more success than receivers.)

Taxvictim
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Someone should have known the score... I find it hard to believe that one of the four players did not know the set was not over.

I recently saw some doubles players play a set tiebreak at 5-5. Those of us watching were cringing.

woodrow1029
09-28-2010, 06:07 PM
From the Friend at Court:

page 45-46

Counting points played in good faith. All points played in good faith stand.

For example, if after losing a point, a player discovers that the net was four inches
too high, the point stands. If a point is played from the wrong court, there is no
replay. If during a point, a player realizes that a mistake was made at the beginning
(for example, service from the wrong court), the player shall continue playing the
point. Corrective action may be taken only after a point has been completed.
Shaking hands at end of the match is an acknowledgment by the players that
the match is over.

cknobman
09-29-2010, 06:07 AM
no going back unless its for "hits and giggles"

Nice :)

I just wanted to respond to your post for "(s)hits and giggles"!