PDA

View Full Version : I Love The One-Handed Backhand!

FedererUberAlles
06-01-2005, 01:55 PM
I've spent about 4 months getting a one-handed backhand, and I've never made a better choice. I can pound winners with it on the run. During my high school season I was mocked a lot because it was so inconsistent due to the fact I had just started using it; now, I can't wait until next season so that I can have the best backhand (they all have two-handers that they just use to keep the ball in play). It's the best decision I ever made. I've just got to work in the slice/dropshot/spins into now.

scez
06-01-2005, 02:28 PM
That would explain your avatar.

MChong
06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
It's excellent that you're making progress with the one-handed backhand; I have a decent two-handed backhand that I can use offensively, but I, too, am switching over the summer for next season to a one-handed backhand. I find I am able to access spin much more easily. (And it looks far better.) 8)

FedererUberAlles
06-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Oh yeah, it looks so awesome. I love when people stop and watch me and my badass one-hander.

FREDDY
06-01-2005, 07:56 PM
lol. best rallies are when its backhand vs backhand.

FREDDY
06-01-2005, 07:57 PM
nice avatar. it really is. gotta a little dizzy staring at it.

theace21
06-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Learn the slice to their backhand. Two handers had that!!! Good Luck next season...

TwistServe
06-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Ya I like the one hander too.. so graceful, so fluid, so lethal, so explosive!

FedererUberAlles
06-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Yeah, I love hitting the down the line winners and the on-the-run cross court shots.I can't wait for the next tennis season. I'll be the only kid in the whole high school league in the Wake County area with a one hander (provided no one else changed backhands which is unlikely or anyone new coming in to the league). New, I've just got to get it like Gasquet's. :p

equinox
06-02-2005, 06:21 AM
very nice backhand.

goober
06-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I love hitting the down the line winners and the on-the-run cross court shots.I can't wait for the next tennis season. I'll be the only kid in the whole high school league in the Wake County area with a one hander (provided no one else changed backhands which is unlikely or anyone new coming in to the league). New, I've just got to get it like Gasquet's. :p

Hmm I play in several adult leagues with ages 25-55. About 90% use one handed backhand. Two handed backhands really stick out :D

FedererUberAlles
06-03-2005, 07:22 AM
I see a lot of older guys with the one-handed backhand, but the backhands tend not to be so nice.

tennisfan
06-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Go for the single not the deuce! Amazing how the current tennis trend of two handed backhands has caught on with all of it's flaws. Only weak or easily led players go with two, and sacrafice reach, leverage, spin, versatility etc... Great to see a young player unleash the power of the one hander. I can topspin, drop, slice and volley on the run -and with a foot more reach than my two hand opponents. I wonder how good Andy would be if he had Fed's backhand? One of the major reasons Roger and Justine can hit just about any shot from anywhere. No two hander can pull those angles or chop the ball so it bounces two inches off the ground. Keep at it! Viva la solo!!

FedererUberAlles
06-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I had a two hander and I really felt it was holding me back.

Return_Ace
06-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Ahhh after watching Puerta's game yesterday (its past 12 where i am) I have decided to try and change my two hander into a one hander.... I mean you could really see the differnce in their games :)

troytennisbum
06-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Go for the single not the deuce! Amazing how the current tennis trend of two handed backhands has caught on with all of it's flaws. Only weak or easily led players go with two, and sacrafice reach, leverage, spin, versatility etc... Great to see a young player unleash the power of the one hander. I can topspin, drop, slice and volley on the run -and with a foot more reach than my two hand opponents. I wonder how good Andy would be if he had Fed's backhand? One of the major reasons Roger and Justine can hit just about any shot from anywhere. No two hander can pull those angles or chop the ball so it bounces two inches off the ground. Keep at it! Viva la solo!!

Sorry to rain on this 1-HBH parade ....but a lot of what is being said in this statement is just plain wrong.

"Only weak or easily led players go with two " ?????????????????
Tell that to Safin, Agassi, Nadal or one of the Williams Sisters.
The reason why Federer is so good is not because the 1-HBH is an inherently superior backhand technique, it's because he simply has been gifted with more overall tennis talent then anyone else in the world.

The technical truth of the matter is this. For backhand slice shots, yes,
using 1 hand is certainly better then using 2 hands. For topspin drives, all things being equal, the 2-HbH is "a little" better. This means that anyone who elects to use 2 hands needs to also be able to hit the slice with 1 hand. Now does this mean that I am saying that 2-hbh players with 1-Hbh slices will play better then guys/gals who use 1-hand for both kinds of shots? No, I don't mean to say that at all.

What I am saying is this. Whether or not a player should use 1 hand for top-spin drives depends on the athletic attributes of the individual tennis player. As with many techniques in tennis, different things work for different people. Some guys/gals are more naturaly wired for using 2 hands and some are more naturaly wired for using 1 hand on the backhand wing. I advise all of my beginning students to try both techniques and to simply use the one that comes more naturally to them.

What you stated about ARod is most likely wrong. I'd be willing to bet my life that that the 2-HBh simply comes more naturaly to Andy R. then the 1 hander does (that why he uses it)...meaning that if he did, in fact, learn/switch to the 1HBH drive, his game would most likely decline. Andy may have certain flaws in his overall tennis game, but the fact that he chooses to use 2 hands for his backhand drives is certainly not one of them.

BreakPoint
06-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Hmm I play in several adult leagues with ages 25-55. About 90% use one handed backhand. Two handed backhands really stick out :D

Around here (NorCal) in USTA men's leagues, I'd say it's more like 98% use one-handed backhands. I almost never see two-handed backhands. (I think one of the reasons is that older guys just don't have the footspeed to use a two-handed backhand and also need to use more variety than power in their shots.) However, I think it's almost the opposite with the women. Maybe like 90% of the women use two-handed backhands. I think there in lies the perception that using two-handed backhands in somehow feminine or weak.

I just know I love my one-handed backhand as I can really rip it as hard as I want, and then the next shot I can hit a devastating slice or a tricky drop shot. I often run around my forehand so that I can rip my backhand for a winner. :D

akj27
06-03-2005, 06:21 PM
one could say the same about nadals game, how do you explain his 2 handed backhand?

tennisfan
06-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a true coach blinded by the need to see rapid improvement and ear to ear grins. Of course if you let a student try both they will pick one, but a talented player like A Rod would not have any problem with either. If instead he had hit thousands and thousands of one handers as he learned he would benefit from the supperior mechanics. You can't argue with reality, you gain no speed, or spin, or anything with a two hander if you look at two great players with equal skills. Why don't you try an experiment and teach the one hander no matter what a student wants. Isn't that the job of a teacher to get the most talent but not necessarily the easiest way? I never had a coach ask me what I wanted and I'm glad because I knew nothing when I started

Sorry to rain on this 1-HBH parade ....but a lot of what is being said in this statement is just plain wrong.

"Only weak or easily led players go with two " ?????????????????
Tell that to Safin, Agassi, Nadal or one of the Williams Sisters.
The reason why Federer is so good is not because the 1-HBH is an inherently superior backhand technique, it's because he simply has been gifted with more overall tennis talent then anyone else in the world.

The technical truth of the matter is this. For backhand slice shots, yes,
using 1 hand is certainly better then using 2 hands. For topspin drives, all things being equal, the 2-HbH is "a little" better. This means that anyone who elects to use 2 hands needs to also be able to hit the slice with 1 hand. Now does this mean that I am saying that 2-hbh players with 1-Hbh slices will play better then guys/gals who use 1-hand for both kinds of shots? No, I don't mean to say that at all.

What I am saying is this. Whether or not a player should use 1 hand for top-spin drives depends on the athletic attributes of the individual tennis player. As with many techniques in tennis, different things work for different people. Some guys/gals are more naturaly wired for using 2 hands and some are more naturaly wired for using 1 hand on the backhand wing. I advise all of my beginning students to try both techniques and to simply use the one that comes more naturally to them.

What you stated about ARod is most likely wrong. I'd be willing to bet my life that that the 2-HBh simply comes more naturaly to Andy R. then the 1 hander does (that why he uses it)...meaning that if he did, in fact, learn/switch to the 1HBH drive, his game would most likely decline. Andy may have certain flaws in his overall tennis game, but the fact that he chooses to use 2 hands for his backhand drives is certainly not one of them.

troytennisbum
06-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a true coach blinded by the need to see rapid improvement and ear to ear grins. Of course if you let a student try both they will pick one, but a talented player like A Rod would not have any problem with either. If instead he had hit thousands and thousands of one handers as he learned he would benefit from the supperior mechanics. You can't argue with reality, you gain no speed, or spin, or anything with a two hander if you look at two great players with equal skills. Why don't you try an experiment and teach the one hander no matter what a student wants. Isn't that the job of a teacher to get the most talent but not necessarily the easiest way? I never had a coach ask me what I wanted and I'm glad because I knew nothing when I started

You obviously still don't know anything.

First off, I don't just "ask" my students what they "want". As a coach, I expose students too BOTH techniques, and then I OBSERVE and STUDY the results. I then try to encourage the student to pursue the backhand technique that he/she is most suited for. Different things work for different people. Both types of backhands, the 1-HBH AND the 2-HBH, when executed properly, are fundamentally sound techniques in this sport. The 2-Hbh technique will not inherently put a tennis player at a disadvantage if he/she can also hit the 1-hbh slice. There are too many respected coaches around the world who know and teach this. And that is a fact.

Second, YOU are the one who CANNOT "argue with reality".
The reality is that, at the highest levels of tennis, we see BOTH 1-HBH AND 2-HBH players dominate this game at various tournaments. If the 1-HBH technique is so superior over the 2-HBH, then you wouldn't see so many great players using the 2 handed technique at the college/pro levels. And that is a fact, whether or not you want to accept it.

So you honestly believe in JUST teaching all tennis students the 1-HBH technique "no matter what" !?!?!?
Because if this is indeed what you believe, I hope you never become a coach in this sport.

Also, your statement that everyone who uses the 2-hbh was "weak" and
"easily led" was not only ignorant, but quite insulting. Perhaps you should follow the example of other people on this particular thread. Although they enjoy their 1-HBH technique (I myself admire most 1-hbh players), they don't make ignorant/insulting remarks about people who use 2.

EOM.

Rickson
06-06-2005, 05:46 AM
This is great news! I always enjoy hearing about those who have committed themselves to making the switch from a double hander to a one hander. I made the switch to the one hander last year and although I only used the slice in the beginning, I've developed a good topspin drive. Using the one hander also helped my volleys a lot because the feel of a backhand volley is much more natural now.