PDA

View Full Version : my first league match final but will play against the sandbagger

kimguroo
09-21-2010, 11:08 PM
I reached my first league match final ^__^
I looked up my opponent's scores then I realized that his entire season match scores are strange. most of his division match scores were 6-4, 7-5, no tie break but play off scores are like 6-1, 6-2....
this was his first season so I could not find further information then I looked up the other league. I found that he played 0.5 higher level for 9 seasons:shock:

I am disappointed to play against the sandbagger at the final league match:evil:

Just give me any advise to play better.

Tennis sensation
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Just give your 100% and hope for the best

robert
09-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Don't make your conclusion based upon the previous results.

He may haven't touched the rackets for years. So he need to play down.

Also 0.5 difference isn't a big deal. A high 3.5 may easily smoke low 4.0 with 1&2.

BMC9670
09-22-2010, 05:33 AM
You've reached the final for a reason. I'd say keep doing what you're doing and play your game. Enjoy the challenge and don't worry about the result so much.

813wilson
09-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Focus on what you do well. Pay attention in the warm up and pick up on your opponent's tendancies. After three, five and seven games have been played - make a conscious decision to evaluate your games and adjust what you think you need to adjust. It is one thing to lose a point and say to yourself - "I need to do this or that...." It is another to look at a series of games and make game plan adjustments. If you do that, you'll focus better on the plan you come up with.

Good Luck.

JoelDali
09-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Give me his name and I will take care of him for you.

These sandbagger guys have gotta be stopped.

Paperweights build character.

http://the-metro-bowler.tmb32.com/images/HammsTeam.gif

sphinx780
09-22-2010, 08:54 AM
^ Pretty sure the sandbagger in that group isn't wearing glasses....or is he?

Like the others have said, go out and play your game, you've been doing something right to get to the final. Mardy Fish has beaten Fed in a final when playing well. Don't worry about who your opponent is.

Bedrock
09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
How old is he.
It is normal for adults to move down not up since "usually" adults get older.

BMC9670
09-22-2010, 10:00 AM
How old is he.

Depends on results. That's why we have ratings. There used to be this guy in a 3.5 flex league had I played in who creamed everyone. I asked why he didn't play 4.0 and he said because he was 62. OK, so what? He could PLAY! Had a great kick serve, moved well, and could hit a dime with his shots.

robert
09-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Depends on results. That's why we have ratings. There used to be this guy in a 3.5 flex league had I played in who creamed everyone. I asked why he didn't play 4.0 and he said because he was 62. OK, so what? He could PLAY! Had a great kick serve, moved well, and could hit a dime with his shots.

Flex league doesn't say much about his level. Most of players play up in flex league. I heard too many 3.0 players had good winning record in 3.5 flex league but were smoked in 3.0 adult league.

BMC9670
09-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Well he certainly didn't play up. Most matches in the 3.5 flight were competitive, with the exception of one guy who should have played down and this guy.

kimguroo
09-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Don't make your conclusion based upon the previous results.

He may haven't touched the rackets for years. So he need to play down.

Also 0.5 difference isn't a big deal. A high 3.5 may easily smoke low 4.0 with 1&2.

No he played every season since 2005 and he played 0.5 higher level than current for 9 seasons (once he was a division winner).

Give me his name and I will take care of him for you.

These sandbagger guys have gotta be stopped.

Paperweights build character.

maybe you should play and pretend me. too short time to arrange plane tickets ^___^

How old is he.
Actually, I saw his the other league records and the scores indicate that He is getting better in each season. he already won his first match at 0.5 higher level.

I might need to rethink of the term "sandbagger"
because I thought sandbaggers play a level lower than normal but they win the game no matter what but I don't want to see someone intentionally try to manipulate scores in order to avoid DQ and win all the play off games.
we might see some of sandbagger but we don't see many people who intentionally manipulate scores in order to win.

I've seen this kind of person once. the guy started 2.5 then manipulate scores and won play off (almost perfect scores). next season, he played 3.5 but still won every games. did not follow his record further tough. He must be 4.0 or 4.5.

I've never thought I will play my first final match with this kind of score manipulate sandbagger:evil: it's like "WHY ME......" or "wrong time to reach final"......
we don't often see someone intentionally manipulate scores.......
this one should be my motivation to play harder and play smarter.
I should think I play with one full level higher player. I had a very closed set with one full level higher players before. usually I lost 6-1 or 6-2 but I played hard entire sets and lost 6-4.
advices are very helpful so far. if anyone has any advice.... keep posts some ^_^

athiker
09-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Chat him up on the first changeover. Just inquire if his injury has healed and express your sincerest hopes that it has. When he looks confused just mention that you assumed he had injured himself early this year since he had played a 1/2 level higher for the past 9 years in the "other" league. Maybe you can embarrass him into losing losing a few games to give you an early leg up!

Just kidding...take it as a challenge and go all out...its really the only thing worthwhile to do and the only thing that will make you feel good at the end of the day win or lose. Maybe pay extra attention to court strategy and point construction as that may tilt some odds in your favor if he simply has better strokes than you. Good luck.

kimguroo
09-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Lost the game:cry:
My string was broke during the warm up (maybe psychologically affected a little bit????). I did not have any game play. Just did not play smart.... Anyway, disappointed but ready to move on to next level and compete. I am not sure I will ever going to move up again but I will try to play better all the time.
Thanks for advices ^_____^