PDA

View Full Version : video for locking ratchet (unidirectional clutch)

crism54
09-21-2010, 11:40 PM
where I can find some video for machine with this tensioning system?
the machine concerned are eagnas challenger I, pro's pro challenger I, pro's pro challenger 6 or alpha pioneer DC plus, whoever is in possession can help me?

Kevo
09-22-2010, 05:57 AM
I used to own the Challenger 1. I don't have a video, but it's a pretty straightforward mechanism.

The ratchet system only allows the drum to spin one way. It will move clockwise when you lower the arm. Once the arm goes down, if it's not level you can raise it without the drum spinning back the other way. This allows you to reach a horizontal position with the arm fairly easily.

The potentially tricky part is remembering to pull the ratchet lever down to disengage it from the drum before raising the bar to release the string. If you forget that step, you can end up with the string locked in even tighter to the gripper and the ratchet lever held by friction. That makes it quite challenging to release the string. I think I did that two or three times after I first got the machine. Pretty soon though it became second nature to reach over and release the ratchet as I released the string.

crism54
09-22-2010, 06:25 AM
I understood the advantage of the ratchet system to reach the desired tension faster than non-ratchet system, through adjustments of the bar.
But what I feel uncomfortable is the next release, comparing to the CAM system, that has an internal ratchet system.
when the desired tension is reach, the first system is more complicated to put into place ready for the next draft compared with the cam system?

crism54
09-22-2010, 07:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-B8kwEGY_4&feature=related

i have found this video in German, but what he say?

Kevo
09-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I think the ratchet isn't that much more complicated to prepare than the internal system.

Maybe if you told us what specific machine you were considering as an alternative. Some machines require that you use your hand to hold the gripper in position while repositioning the bar if the first drop wasn't horizontal.

crism54
09-23-2010, 12:41 AM
the choice is between :
- eagnas challenger I (pro's pro challenger I/challenger 6) for linear/ratchet
-gamma progression II 602/signum pro x7000 for cam/jaw gripper.

given that the cam can make raise the bar holding the central ring with the second hand, seems to me that once you reach the stage of orizzontal place of the bar for optimal tension, I must make more work in machine whit linear/ ratchet system: release the clutch, put the gripper horizontal and raise the bar. with the jaw/cam type, I must do less, or not?
also, always comparing the linear with the cam/jaw type, the first one have two mechanical parts, the gripper and the ring, the cam/jaw only one , thus less chance of potential damage, breakage.