PDA

View Full Version : god i hate slices

akj27
06-01-2005, 04:16 PM
I hate returning them, and also i hate the fact that i cant do them. I'm an all around player, I can go to the net when i want to, i can apply a lot of top spin to the ball when i want to, but i just cant hit slices. Any tips?

FedererUberAlles
06-01-2005, 04:18 PM
It's sort of like slicing bread. Just remember not every shot has to have topspin; that's probably where you're going wrong on the return.

Kaptain Karl
06-01-2005, 05:05 PM
I ... just cant hit slices. Any tips?First of all, what grip(s) do you use? (Some grips make slices more difficult....)

- KK

MegacedU
06-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Make sure your racquet face isn't TOO open. That'll cause it to pop.

Prince_of_Tennis
06-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Hit through it...like a karate chop wata!!!!

Mahboob Khan
06-01-2005, 06:45 PM
If you hate slices, you will end up getting more slices! You must learn to deal with them:

-- Keep your shots deep so that your opponent will have difficulty slicing you.

-- Do not return the sliced ball with your own slice. Get down to the ball and return it via topspin drive so that you stay with rotation of the ball!

-- A common mistake hitting slice is chopping on the ball where the racket head goes from high to. Just prior to contact, open the racket face a little bit .. about 45 degree .. and drive through the ball .. follow-throughing so that racket will finish above the level of the net. This is the key to a good slice.

The bottom line: avoid being sliced; learn how to return slice; and learn an effective slice of your own.

See a good slice model at www.tennisplayer.net, or www.procomparetennis.net.

Bungalo Bill
06-01-2005, 07:26 PM
I hate returning them, and also i hate the fact that i cant do them. I'm an all around player, I can go to the net when i want to, i can apply a lot of top spin to the ball when i want to, but i just cant hit slices. Any tips?

I guess the obvious question would be why do you dislike them??? Sometimes I hit a slice with some sidespin (lefty slice) and I see 4.5 level players and below try to run around it only to make an error. Just hit a slice back.

To hit a slice one of the biggest reasons a player pops up their slice is they hold the racquet too loosely. A slice is mainly swung from the shoulder with a firm wrist. The racquet head needs to be level with the hand as it squares forward and goes through the ball.

When you hold the racquet too loosely the racquet head tends to droop down and is below the hand at contact. With a reasonable swing speed this goes largely undetected by the player...then OOOOOPS, there it goes over the fence!

Make sure the racquet handle is up in the V that is made with your thumb and index finger. That lifts the head up. Then swing the racquet from the shoulder aiming for the outside of the ball. Sometimes I aim for the top outside of the ball to help me not go under it.

Make contact right around the front hip area and dont swing down too much. The racquet takeback is higher then the incoming ball by about two feet or so, then down and straight into the path of the ball and then back up. For lower balls bend the knees to lower your butt to help you keep the swing path.

Step forward and make contact swinging lightly but go through the ball. When you swing from the shoulder it is hard to really move the arm real fast which is perfect for the slice. You dont want to swing real fast like your topspin or flat shot.

Just a soft smooth swing.

akj27
06-01-2005, 07:45 PM
thanks for the links, but the first link just just text, i didnt see any pictures, nothing, and you have to pay for the second one.

Also, thanks for the replies guys, if you have any more tips, keep em coming.

aces1732
06-01-2005, 07:52 PM
slice is very useful when you are saving the ball, volleying up at net, hitting dropshots, or using against people who hate slices :)

keep practicing and trying to learn how to hit them, and how to return them.

FREDDY
06-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Hit through it...like a karate chop wata!!!!

hahaha yeah exactly

madhavan
06-01-2005, 11:15 PM
The 2 main keys to hitting a slice are:

a. Take the racket back by turning your shoulders/hips, which will also allow you to:
b. step diagonally across and out with your front foot with your weight going forward

If you do these 2 things, the stroke itself will come quite naturally - just hit out
with confidence and don't just poke at the ball timidly. Don't just chop down at the
ball with a high to low arm motion. Instead, hit out with some underspin, but also with
quite a lot of forward horizontal motion so that the contact point is in front of your
body with the arm straight and on the follow-thru, the racket ends up well in front of you (won't be directly in front, but out to your right with the arm extended). Having
this horizontal aspect to your swing will give you both power and spin. If you hit out confidently, the arm will naturally straighten out prior to contact and remain straight thru the follow-thru. If the arm just ends up right by your side, that's a sign of a bad
swing.

Use a continental or slight backhand grip. Don't use a forehand grip!

-Madhavan

theace21
06-01-2005, 11:23 PM
I play with a couple or really good juniors, and they both have pretty good two handed back hands...I can make the match competitive by slice the ball low to their backhand, and trying to stretch them out wide. They don't see it in the juniors, and have not quite figured out how to handle it. If I got in a baseline duel, I would be dead meat, but by attacking something with spin and lack of pace - I can give myself a chance to win the set/match...Some players hate loopy balls, serve and volleyers, it is your job as an opponent to find something that gives them problems and attack it often...

TennsDog
06-02-2005, 09:32 AM
It depends on what kind of slice you want to hit to decide how to hit it. If you want to hit a defensive/neutral slice, then the racket head should be more open, perhaps rotated 30 degrees toward you and the motion should go much more down than for an aggressive slice. An aggressive/offensive slice that goes deep and stays very low requires a near-virtical hitting face and the racket head goes from high to low, but drives through the ball much more. The wrist should naturally pronate down causing the hitting surface to face straight up after the follow through with an extended arm pointing forward. It took me a while to realize just how not-open the racket face needs to be for this type of shot.

erik-the-red
06-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I recently started to develop my slice.

I had a wrong formula in my mind.

With topspin, it is imperative to hit as early as you can.

WIth backspin / slice, it is imperative to hit as LATE as you can.

Jonnyf
06-02-2005, 11:47 AM
all u have to do is remember to push through the ball

akj27
06-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Alright, i practiced with my cousin today, and im pretty sure i got it, but, it doesnt go as deep as i want it to go, i keep doing dropshots

Cobrien
06-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Try to come across the ball more. You're probably just cutting the ball.

Jonnyf
06-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Callum u never slice

Cobrien
06-02-2005, 02:26 PM
All I did against you on Wednesday was slice.

Jonnyf
06-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Callum plz leave this out of the boards

jokin

Bungalo Bill
06-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Try to come across the ball more. You're probably just cutting the ball.

I guess if your trying to put side spin on it this is ok. But to hit a driving slice this wont really help.

montx
06-02-2005, 03:28 PM
whoever asked about the grip also made a point, use a continental grip for slices

TennsDog
06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
If you keep hitting the ball with no pace and short, try flattening out your racket face (more than you think necessary to hit slice) and focus on going through the ball more rather than breaking your wrist down.

Kana Himezaki
06-03-2005, 03:15 PM
If you really want to just start focusing on depth, just try this:

-Get your racquet over the ball, as you would for a normal slice. Racquet face in the same position.

-When the ball is coming toward you, simply move out from your upper position and just try to push through the ball. Don't focus on brushing under at all.

Moving down from above when pushing through will generate a small amount of underspin. All the extension will give you depth. Start from there, and gradually increase the underspin while increasing the depth. Often, the depth is more important than a huge amount of spin anyway. Also, the spin on the ball will carry it a little, so depth isn't too hard.

Jonnyf
06-03-2005, 03:17 PM
i know soz about Cobrien (he's at mine 2moz) so we can slap him