PDA

View Full Version : Clamp "just under the teeth." Why?

sstchur
09-22-2010, 07:20 PM
In this Yulitle video: http://www.youtube.com/yulitle#p/u/23/XICQOhCb6VI

He mentioned (around 1:25 - 1:40) that you want to clamp "just under the top of the teeth." Not all the way down and not at the tips.

Why is this? I base this on nothing really, but it /seems/ to me that further down would hold better. My clamps seems to hold better further down anyway, but perhaps it is because they aren't as good quality as others.

In any case, what is his reasoning for saying this?

mikeler
09-23-2010, 04:42 AM
I always clamp mine on the lower part of the teeth just because I'm worried about slippage. Of course, I just string my own so I'm the only customer that needs to be satisfied with the end result.

drakulie
09-23-2010, 08:30 AM
In any case, what is his reasoning for saying this?

I would imagine that the reason for this is because the lower he goes in the jaw of the teeth, the more pressure on the string, and as a result it might crush the string. This is just a guess. I would also guess he doesn't want to clamp at the tip of the teeth because the diamond coating is less in that area and there would be slippage.

Irvin
09-23-2010, 08:53 AM
I think 'Gamma Tech,' a mechanical engineer for Gamma Sports, has stated that you would let the string go down in the clamps and not at the top of the clamp.

I would never grip the string at the top of the clamp. I am surprised 'YULitle' said that since he is using a Gamma machine.

Irvin

sstchur
09-23-2010, 01:59 PM
I think 'Gamma Tech,' a mechanical engineer for Gamma Sports, has stated that you would let the string go down in the clamps and not at the top of the clamp.

I would never grip the string at the top of the clamp. I am surprised 'YULitle' said that since he is using a Gamma machine.

Irvin

So are you saying that you think Gamma Tech recommends putting the string a bit further town towards the bottom of the teeth?

rich s
09-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Has anybody ever used wire cutters?

Where is it easier to cut the wire? At the tip of the cutter or down closer to the jaw/pivot? Why?

Irvin
09-24-2010, 01:33 AM
So are you saying that you think Gamma Tech recommends putting the string a bit further town towards the bottom of the teeth?

That is correct.

Irvin

Irvin
09-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Has anybody ever used wire cutters?

Where is it easier to cut the wire? At the tip of the cutter or down closer to the jaw/pivot? Why?

Closer to the pivot point because of leverage, unless if your cutters are worn.

Irvin

rich s
09-24-2010, 04:15 AM
Closer to the pivot point because of leverage.....

yes, leverage / mechanical advantage....... that is why it is better to put the string lower into to clamp..... the mecahical advantage gained due to it's lower position in the clamp holds the string tighter.........

origmarm
09-24-2010, 04:45 AM
I always tend to go lower in the clamp also and I've never had issues. I don't think it really matters that much providing you adjust the clamp accordingingly.

drakulie
09-24-2010, 05:31 AM
I always tend to go lower in the clamp also and I've never had issues. I don't think it really matters that much providing you adjust the clamp accordingingly.

Same here. I place the string low in the clamp. Then again, the babolat Clamps are awesome and require very little pressure to ensure there is no slippage.

Gamma Tech
09-24-2010, 06:00 AM
I would definitely clamp below the teeth on the mains because you have the most surface area of diamond coating= more gripping. but gripping on the teeth will hold the string too.
bret