PDA

View Full Version : "o3 Tour" or "o3 Red"

Bench43
06-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Hello everyone, Im new to the boards.

Just wanted to get some opinions on this subject. I have demo'ed every racquet that I think might work for me.

I have found the o3 red to be a little too powerful, the o3 Tour was great but just a little less power than I would want. (gave me some shoulder pain).

So the question is... should i buy the red and string it super tight or buy the tour and string it for a little more power?

thanks for your help everyone

finesse15
06-01-2005, 05:00 PM
When I was younger and started to get serious about tennis, I needed a players racquet instead of a tweener. Obviously it took awhile to find the best racquet for me, so I had to string my tweener at a high tension for control, and I found that the stringbed lost a lot of feel and pop, making the raquet dead and hard on the arm ... so if I were you I would go for the O3 Tour.

Bench43
06-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks. Thats what I thought too. So maybe string the tour at the low-end.
I was also thinking that this way as my swing develops I can just adjust the strings tighter and have a good players racquet.

hummer23
06-01-2005, 05:21 PM
yup, or try a more powerful strrin, like a multifilament, gut perhaps, or luxilon alu power. these are all ways to get a littel more pop, but the o3 tour isnt too underpowered. you should be fine when you grove your strokes to make the most of what it gives you.

POGO
06-01-2005, 05:24 PM
It really depends on you. I have demoed the O3 red, and I found it to be too poweful of a racket for me. All my groundstrokes would go way long. If you have compact swing then perhaps the red will be good for you.

When I demoed the O3 tour, it was the perfect stick for me. Lots of spin, bite and control.

foetz
06-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone, Im new to the boards.

Just wanted to get some opinions on this subject. I have demo'ed every racquet that I think might work for me.

I have found the o3 red to be a little too powerful, the o3 Tour was great but just a little less power than I would want. (gave me some shoulder pain).

So the question is... should i buy the red and string it super tight or buy the tour and string it for a little more power?

thanks for your help everyone

there will be an o3 white. a version between the tour and the red so just wait a bit...

POGO
06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
there will be an o3 white. a version between the tour and the red so just wait a bit...
I hope there will be an O3 tour longbody soon.

Bench43
06-01-2005, 06:16 PM

No way. when? where did you find out?

Bench43
06-01-2005, 06:37 PM

Actually now that I think about it more, I think the tour would be better for me in the long run. Maybe it would force me to improve my skills and then when i do, i wont have to buy a new racquet.

AndrewD
06-01-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm surprised you found the 03Tour to not provide enough power. How did you feel about the weight?

Although its a good racquet in stock form it does seem to suffer from not having a touch more weight up top. The swingweight is good and 11.6 ounces isn't anaemic but if you add an extra 6 grams you'd keep it under 12 ounces and improve stability and power. If you want a 'player's' frame that would mean bumping it up to, roughly, 12+ ounces which would increase the power quite a bit and not require you to mess around with the string tension too much. It is a relatively flexible frame (by today's standards) so you wont get the kind of grunt that the PD standard offers at a lower weight and lower swingweight. I realise it has a bad reputation for arm troubles although much of that can be attributed to incorrect stringing but, have you given the PD standard a trial?

Regardless, if you do stick to the 03 range the decision you make between the Red and the Tour has to be based on their fit for your game today, not in a year or two. You might never be able to generate enough power from the Tour and that will just limit your enjoyment. However, you might find you dial in your strokes and learn to control the Red (how was each frame strung?). It all depends on the way you hit the ball. Are your strokes full or are they compact (nothing wrong with either and they bear no relation to your ability)?

Let us know that and we'll be able to give you far more insight.

Bench43
06-01-2005, 10:16 PM
well about my swings, thats the whole thing is that im so new to tennis I havent really developed an iron clad swing style. Im still pretty flexible. I much prefer the way it feels to swing hard and fast, but at the same time i like to feel the ball pop off the racquet.

so I guess to answer your question, I can swing either way

IceT
06-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Hey, how about getting the red and add some weight to make it 11 oz (exactly between red's 10.5 oz and tour's 11.5 oz weight).

I think that would be your happy medium.

Or... since you're a beginner (like me), maybe you just need a little bit more topspin to control the power.

foetz
06-02-2005, 04:28 AM
No way. when? where did you find out?

mashona washington is playing it already.

THE ANIMAL
06-02-2005, 04:43 AM
If you add weight to the red you will be getting even more power forget about that.

If you want more power from the Tour add some weight a little to the head at 3 and 9 and maybe use leather and overgrip adding more weight to keep same balance. That will give you some more power also try using gut in the mans with say Alu power in the crosses as well this will boost power considerably and give you loads of spin potential say at 55lb but wont last long.

GregOz
06-02-2005, 05:21 AM
I dont think Id be recommending the 03 Tour to a beginner. It is a good racquet for a wide range of playing levels and styles but just starting out in the game I dont think its the best option. Speaking as a coach Id be much happier to see any of my beginners select a more moderately priced racquet so they can develop their strokes before moving on to something so pricey. I would also advise them against buying a frame that doesn't suit their current playing ability. When you do develop your strokes and your game you might well find that the 03Tour is nothing close to what you need.

Leave the lead tape out completely. As someone new to the game you don't want to be worrying about either lead tape or string types and gauges. Just put in a nice, reasonably priced, durable 16 gauge string (Prince Duraflex is cheap and A1 quality) and concentrate on playing. No point in buying a racquet, as a beginner, that you have to modify. If you need something with more power, then buy something more powerful. TW has an excellent range of lower priced and liquidation frames that would be ideal.

If, however, you are set on one of the two racquets then go with the 03Red. If you are brand new to the game you could do with a bit extra help and, in all likelihood (If you're anything like the rest of us) you'll want to change frames in a few seasons time anyway. By that stage you will be ready for something less powerful.

Bench43
06-02-2005, 05:42 AM
Greg, thanks for the insight. I am kind of set on the o3's because money is no object what so ever. Someone is buying me any racquet I want up to $250.

Now, about the red. Maybe I will demo it again but it just had way too much power. I could not keep the balls in the court with that thing. now mind you I hate demos. I hate that lingering thought that maybe you just THINK this is not a good racquet but REALLY they just did a bad stringing job.

Also Id like to add that many pros and tennis shop folk have told me that they think more powerful racquets are more for older people who have problems generating their own power. Well in that case Im only 24 and I have no problem generating power if I want. Tell me your thoughts on this.

thanks for everyones help btw!

Bench43
06-02-2005, 05:54 AM
By the way. I dont really get why they say any certain racquet is only good for advanced players. what does that mean about the racquet, what about it makes it not good for intermediate or beginners? Is it hard to use? and what if you use it and have not trouble with it. Am I missing something? Do I just THINK it plays well? maybe I have no idea.

GregOz
06-02-2005, 06:19 AM
Well, any player can use any racquet. It's just that some racquets work best in the hands of more advanced players than those just starting out or of intermediate skills. The major factor is the sweetspot. Advanced players hit the sweetspot regularly, less advanced players dont. If a racquet has a small sweetspot and you can't hit it regularly then the racquet is a bit too demanding for you at that particular time.

Of course, you can train yourself to hit it but, lets be honest here, not everyone who plays tennis has athletic ability so, even if they try their hardest they just wont find that spot regularly. That limits their ability to fully enjoy the game and is so silly when there are loads of frames on the market that would make life easier for them. Utilising a larger sweetspot also removes the requirement that you swing faster than is natural, for you, to generate power and spin. A lot of players who use a 'demanding' raquet can't naturally generate power without 'overswinging' which leads to way too many errors and is the main reason why they find themselves tiring after a set or, worse, experiencing aches and pains in wrist, arm and shoulder. Its not the weight of the racquet, its the effort they have to put in to get a reasonable return out of it.

You just have to be realistic about your capabilities and also willing to accept the little extra help that a less demanding frame can offer. Then you can keep good form on your strokes and remove one cause of unforced errors.

The 03 Tour has a generous sweetspot, although I still believe it is too headlight. Still, for your standard of play that shouldn't be a concern (at the moment). If you go with the frame, drop the tension right down low, below the recommended lowest tension and then gradually work your way up to the point where you feel yourself having to swing all out on your shots to generate pace and depth.

I wouldn't consider the 03 to be a demanding racquet in any shape or fashion. However, it is very unclear just what your standard of play is. You said you were just starting out but if you were then you wouldn't be hitting long with the 03 Red because its too powerful, you'd be doing it because you dont know how to keep the ball in the court. If you do have some tennis experience then that changes matters completely.

By the way, demo racquets are notoriously badly strung. If they have decent string in them they're often left until they break. So you really have no idea what tension the racquet is when you use it. Next time you demo ask them if they can put the racquet on their machine and tell you what the exact tension is. If you find its in the lower range then you'll have a good reason for the extra power you're experiencing.

Bench43
06-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Man, thats great information. I really appreciate it. I played a match today against one of my more skilled friends, and really liked the racquet. I did find that I was having to put more into it, but it didnt bother me at all. I played for about 2 hours with no pain afterward. I think the pain in my shoulders I mentioned in another thread about the tour, was attributed to me trying to practice serves and going way beyond my skill level and trying to kill the ball. Im trying to play like a pro when im an amature.

Now, I think I will buy the o3 tour now that I have played with it, but I will probably demo the red one last time and ask them to check the tension like you said (had no idea they would do that.) But the truth of the matter is, if I cant hit the ball pretty hard I dont think I would have much fun. I dont want to run around tapping the ball back and forth like I was in a retirement Home. The people I play against (my friends) play a pretty fast game and hit some heavy balls.

Now the biggest problem here is this... after I buy a racquet I will never know that it really was the best for me because of the high likelyhood that most of my demos needed to be restrung. I guess I just have to accept that reality and move on or inherit alot of money to keep buying racquet upon racquet.

I dont know maybe i have it all wrong about how slow the game would be with a high powered stick.

I do know one thing though... my 3 year old daughter could probably hit the ball into the woods with that o3 silver.

RafaN RichardG
06-02-2005, 03:05 PM
yeah i wouldnt reccomend it for a beginner either, but if thats what you want, why not go with it! also ive heard talk about an o3 tour oversize. now since the o3 red has too much, and the o3 tour, too little power, then you might want to wat for the OS o3 or the o3 white. usually the oversized racquet have a larger sweetspot and more power, probably better if youre just starting and not used to small(er) sweetspot. and yes mashona washington IS using an o3 white, its on the princetennis website- if you didnt believe the person who posted it before, plus theres pictures http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=rog16405241612.france_tennis_french_ope n_rog164&prov=AP
its not the clearest, but you get the picture. anyways the o3 white would probably be the best choice 4 u though... hope this helps

drak
06-02-2005, 04:03 PM
If you add a total of 5-6 grams at the 3 and 9 positions the power level goes up considerably - I was surprised how much (too much for me). I will probably take about half of the weight off and try that. I liked it in "stock" form but was just experimenting with the added head weight, I'll take half off next time I hit and then if I don't like that just go back to stock. I really like the frame and it is perfect for adding a very modest amount of weight - you don't have to load it up.

About stringing, after having it strung at 57 with a BB ace/Duraflex hybrid I think next time I'd add at least 3 pounts of tension - I have a feeling these string up looser than most frames because of how you have to string it.

Drak

Safina
06-02-2005, 06:09 PM
sorry//// wrong thread.......

bamboo
06-02-2005, 09:30 PM
yeah i wouldnt reccomend it for a beginner either, but if thats what you want, why not go with it! also ive heard talk about an o3 tour oversize. now since the o3 red has too much, and the o3 tour, too little power, then you might want to wat for the OS o3 or the o3 white. usually the oversized racquet have a larger sweetspot and more power, probably better if youre just starting and not used to small(er) sweetspot. and yes mashona washington IS using an o3 white, its on the princetennis website- if you didnt believe the person who posted it before, plus theres pictures http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=rog16405241612.france_tennis_french_ope n_rog164&prov=AP
its not the clearest, but you get the picture. anyways the o3 white would probably be the best choice 4 u though... hope this helps
I just switched from a POG OS to the 03 Tour. I'm a 4.0 with heavy spin, and I'm really pleased with it. I think lower level players could use it, because it cuts through the air fast. I don't understand some players saying it lacks stability stock - it seems rock solid to me, and a unique feel - I find it comfy, not muted. It is slighly better at all things than the POG OS except serves where it's way better - Prince's 800 power level seems a little low, but it has a lot of control if you spin it - not a flat ball hitter's racquet.

IceT
06-03-2005, 12:36 AM
But the truth of the matter is, if I cant hit the ball pretty hard I dont think I would have much fun. I dont want to run around tapping the ball back and forth like I was in a retirement Home.

The O3 Red is not that powerful.

My previous stick is Prokennex 5g, which is 8pts HL and low powered. I can hit well with it, but I'm looking for bigger headsize (sweetspot), but not too big, so I switch to the O3 Red. I can still whack the ball hard and keep it in the court if I do it properly. It surely is more powerful, but at 3pts HL, it's far from a granny stick. I think it's comparable to Dunlop 300G, which is a lightweight player stick, but the O3 Red has a bit more power than 300G.

Several people in this board who have used the O3 Red (TwoCents and IndianTwist, if my memory serves) don't seem to think it's too powerful. And if you read TW's review, even the testers who are 4.0 and up didn't think it's too powerful.

But hey, everybody is different. If you feel more comfortable with the tour, go for it. For me, I chose the O3 red because of the bigger sweetspot, and I can always add weight later on.

Indiantwist
06-03-2005, 05:07 AM
This may not be most appropriate thread but can some1 compare for me O3 Red and Aero pro Drive Standard and Pure Drive Team Plus.

I have demo'd all these 3 and here is my take...

Most of my O3 red shots lacked depth but racquet has a good sweet spot and comforatble. Serves are good. return of server and off centre hits are good.

Pure Drive Team PLUS :--> I was slightly over hitting not by much. Serves have depth but NO penetration (no heaviness). Very good @ net . Offcentre and return of serve are good.

Aero Pro drive Std :--> I could not get grip on serve with this one. Ground strokes are good. excellent control. Good @net . No probs with Offcentre hits and return of serve.

Iam in search of that magic stick that would move me to next level.i think i can generate power on most shots. there are times when i am caught (lack of footwork or misjudgement) and thats when i try to block/push ball back.

edge
06-03-2005, 05:11 AM
I see nothing wrong with developing your strokes with a player's racquet. In fact, in the days of wood, that's what everyone did. If you develop your strokes with a tweener, you'll have the tendency to have muted shorter strokes because the racquet is providing much of the pop. If you develop with the O3 Tour, you must swing big to get the ball moving and that's how you want to develop your strokes. I see so many juniors with short crappy swings because they developed with tweeners. The ones with full swings developed with player's racquets. Tweeners are for mature players who have loss a little speed in their swing.

Bench43
06-03-2005, 05:51 AM
I see nothing wrong with developing your strokes with a player's racquet. In fact, in the days of wood, that's what everyone did. If you develop your strokes with a tweener, you'll have the tendency to have muted shorter strokes because the racquet is providing much of the pop. If you develop with the O3 Tour, you must swing big to get the ball moving and that's how you want to develop your strokes. I see so many juniors with short crappy swings because they developed with tweeners. The ones with full swings developed with player's racquets. Tweeners are for mature players who have loss a little speed in their swing.

Thats my take on it as well. something someone else said (cant remember who) really threw me back toward the red just a little. I think they said that if I had problems Keeping the ball in the court with the red, thats just because I cant keep it in, not the racquet having too much power.

Also something else scares me about the o3 tour. Someone said its a racquet for players with alot of spin. NOT for players who hit flat shots.

Thoughts :?:

stc9357
06-03-2005, 07:50 AM
Bench if you purchase the racket right you can the prince 03 for 130.00 brand new online and since the person will spend up to 250 you could chip in and get two 03 since your set on it. Do a search and I think somebody here can help with the method or you can go to tennis.com go to their forum for rackets and gear and they have a topic on how to get your rackets the cheapest way possible online brand new.

stc9357
06-03-2005, 08:15 AM
For all of you prince 03 tour lovers go to e r a c k e t s . c o m. Thjey have the 03 tour for 130.00 then go to m i d w e s t s p o r t s . c o m and they will beat that price by 10% good luck me personal my racket is the flexpoint tour but if I demo the 03 tour and like it better then I will by one.

stc9357
06-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Sorry tennis warehouse if they change my stuff email me at stc935703@yahoo.com will hook up with the info. While you there I'm trying to sell two i s6's and one Ti. Radical, and one prince more balance 950 inquire and I will give info on those.

GuyPerez
06-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Your information is incorrect on the o3 pricing at that store. TW will pricematch anyhow. You are giving flase information. I called them myself.

stc9357
06-03-2005, 01:27 PM
My bad I got my info from tennis.com forums there.

GuyPerez
06-03-2005, 01:40 PM
honest mistake. let's just all be sure to give TW the last call. Personally I like the Vantage custom frames - sweet and no giant holes!

O3&200G
06-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I found O3 tour oversize which comes 27.5in. 300g and 107sqin in Japan coming out in July.

Bench43
06-04-2005, 04:24 AM
I bought the o3 tour, and Im already thinking of exchanging it. I wonder if I will EVER decide on a racquet and actually string it.

POGO
06-04-2005, 04:38 AM
I bought the o3 tour, and Im already thinking of exchanging it. I wonder if I will EVER decide on a racquet and actually string it.
what didn't you like about it?

Bench43
06-04-2005, 04:49 AM
well actually I never strung it. there was nothing i didnt like about the demo.
but when i bought it i demoed an ncode and i havent played with it yet, but bouncing the ball on it just seems so much more... well i dont know the word to use, it felt cushy and comfortable. is that flexible? i dont know.

like i said i havent played with the ncode yet, and nobody seems to like them, and its the n5 which is probably too powerful for me.

twocents
06-04-2005, 05:40 AM
Just My 2cents:
I thought the O3 REd was a great racket because I ONLY KNOW how to hit with topspin (moderate/extreme) and for that reason it's great. I couldn't generate enough pace on my serves it was too light. It was great for volleying because it is so manuverable. It was too light to block back serves at a 4.5 level. It was great against lower level players.
The Tour was more of an advanced players racket it was more solid and generated less pace. That's good if you can generate your own power on each shot for the entire match. It was better for blocking shots and could create a lot of topspin as well. The HOLES make a big difference.
In the meantime, after demoing an Aeropro once I decided to demo it again. I didn't realize this time it was the "Plus" version.
I'm considered a benchmark 4.0. Last Thurdsay we were the "lambs" against a teaching pro and another 4.5. I used the Demo. We ended up losing 6-4, 7-5. I raised my game to a higher level with the "PLUS". You still have to generate the power but you also get a lot of power in return. It doesn't feel like 11.3 oz because of the Aerodynamics in the throat similar to the Holes the O3 has.
To me weight wise it was no different than the Tour but supplied a HUGE amount of power and spin. You do have to hit with topspin though.
Bench43 does that mean you are rates a Bench mark at 4.3 ?
good luck

RafaN RichardG
06-04-2005, 05:49 AM

I just switched from a POG OS to the 03 Tour. I'm a 4.0 with heavy spin, and I'm really pleased with it. I think lower level players could use it, because it cuts through the air fast. I don't understand some players saying it lacks stability stock - it seems rock solid to me, and a unique feel - I find it comfy, not muted. It is slighly better at all things than the POG OS except serves where it's way better - Prince's 800 power level seems a little low, but it has a lot of control if you spin it - not a flat ball hitter's racquet.

Bamboo, i was actually referring to what Bench said. thats not what I personally feel about the racquet. im far more advanced than him/her and i think it feels fine. but i think in the first few posts Bench said that he/she found the o3 red too powerful and the o3tour not powerful enough. i was simply repeating what Bench said.