PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Donny0627
09-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I am a new stringer(5 rackets maybe). I am using a gamma progression 602 II. When i go to tension a string, I make sure tthe bar is horizontal. but, when i remove the the flying clamp to move it onto the string i am tension and the string adjacent to it, the bar drops lower. (to make this less confusing: i remove the flying clamp and bfore i reclamp it it drops significantly). What do i do in this situation? one time, i removed the clamp and the bar dropped so far that the string snapped.

do i:

a: ratchet the bar back a bit and re-set it at horizontal(this has caused me some problems)

b: leave it(this has broken a string during stringing)

c: do what i am currently doing, and have something(such as a box) slightly under horizontal so that when the tension bar drops it is stopped.

Kevo
09-23-2010, 04:23 PM
How are you clamping the strings. Are you seeing drawback from flying clamps shifting orientation perhaps? In any case, you should let the bar alone most likely. There's probably something else going on that's not related to the bar if a string is snapping on you. That shouldn't happen.

technoob10
09-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Are your clamps gripping tight enough?

Donny0627
09-23-2010, 06:26 PM
I am seeing drawback but it isnt horrible. And yes i am fairly positive my clamps are tight enough.

Radicalized
09-24-2010, 04:03 AM
Wait. This is happening with Pro Hurricane 18 (1.20mm), as in your signature?

With these clamps?

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_product/602-1.jpg

Count your clicks. If you open the clamps, and turn the knob to right until the clamp isn't clicking and it is totally tight, how many clicks do you come up with? Let's see how much you have the clamps tightened, more or less.

Is your clamping procedure correct? Are you sure you have the process of tensioning, clamping with correct placement on adjacent strings, and lifting the bar up, down pat?

GPB
09-24-2010, 04:11 AM
This happens sometimes with me (usually on the first mains) and I just re-horizontalize the bar. I'm interested to see what the consensus opinion is.

Radicalized
09-24-2010, 04:18 AM
when i remove the the flying clamp to move it onto the string i am tension and the string adjacent to it, the bar drops lower. (to make this less confusing: i remove the flying clamp and bfore i reclamp it it drops significantly).

I should add, when you say significantly, how many degrees do you presume below level?

Donny0627
09-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Wait. This is happening with Pro Hurricane 18 (1.20mm), as in your signature?

With these clamps?

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_product/602-1.jpg

Count your clicks. If you open the clamps, and turn the knob to right until the clamp isn't clicking and it is totally tight, how many clicks do you come up with? Let's see how much you have the clamps tightened, more or less.

Is your clamping procedure correct? Are you sure you have the process of tensioning, clamping with correct placement on adjacent strings, and lifting the bar up, down pat?
When i tested the clamps i got approximately 10 clicks. And, i have watched videos of yulittle and my clamping sequence is the same.

Donny0627
09-24-2010, 11:03 AM
I should add, when you say significantly, how many degrees do you presume below level?

Honestly sometimes it drops until it hits the desk which i is sitting on(first few mains). Other times maybe like 10-20 degrees.

Also, i would like to add that this only happens on the first 5-6 mains. Then it progressively gets better

Radicalized
09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Just so you know, I am not a pro stringer, but I believe my stringing is of quality. That is just a disclaimer so you can measure my words against the others on this board who do multiple racquets a day.

I have to admit, I'm a bit puzzled, Donny0627. First of all, and I am noting that I don't know for sure that ALL of the Gamma composite clamps are identical or accurate in this area, but that would be rather tight (not what would be expected) to me if we were on the same page with the "number of clicks." If I have the lever open on my clamps and turn the knob all the way (and I should have used this word before) clockwise, until it won't turn any more (clamp is at tightest point), I'd have to turn it back counterclockwise something like 30+ in the number of clicks to get into a reasonable clamping setting.

Anyway, I don't want to supercede your real issue with what is written above, but to be honest, I can't make out why it is dropping that much or breaking a string--that is unusual, as you know--and PH yet. I've had it drop a little, but yes, you are right in thinking that is extreme. I've had it drop a few to maybe 10 degrees, but you're talking 25+ hitting the table.

:arrow:Note: I don't want you to think I'm questioning your intelligence or anything like that. I'm just trying to throw anything at you that I might have missed in my though process.

Just to make sure we're on the same page: So, whether 2-piece or 1, you have your two center mains starting at the head or throat (I didn't look at the pattern for your racquet). You pull the laced 2 center mains tight. You then clamp the center two mains together, leaving space for the next clamp on the starting loop side. You lace the next main, left or right and tension it, using the ratchet, if necessary to get the bar horizontal. You then clamp it to the center main as close as possible to the frame. You lift bar and release the string. You then rotate the racquet and tension the string already on the other side. You clamp that string with the clamp you initially started with on the center mains. You lift the bar. And you continue, lace, tension, and clamp, always having two strings clamped together, and always trying to get the bar about horizontal.

Have you ever tried putting some ink on the string, such as on the start loop to see if the string is moving on you? You said you thought your clamps were tight, so I'm assuming no. Just putting the idea in a question form.

I apologize for the long format thought process. I'll try to work it out later. In the meantime, maybe someone with special experience will drop by.

Bedrock
09-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Hard to say what you are doing wrong. I have the same machine and do not meet any issues like this.
It seem like you use only one clamp :)
Or the clamp which is fixing the middle main is not tight enough.

Radicalized
09-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Sorry to keep adding. Please confirm your stringing process--clamp and tension method--as I wrote out an example above. This way, I and others, like "Bedrock" above could make more pinpoint observations. Also, you said you are new to stringing. Is the stringer new? Did any lubricants or such get on the clamps from the string or elsewhere? Just throwing darts here. Maybe one will hit.

Donny0627
09-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Well first of all id like to say thanks to all of u for helpin me out(u have no obligation to help some random guy on the internet with his problems)

radicAlized, i misread you post. When testing the clamps i thought u meant to loosen them until the clicking stopped And the screw turned freely. I realized my mistake, so now i did it the right way(open the clamp, and turn clockwise until the knob would not move anymore). I now got 35.my bad sorry for the confusion.

As for my stringing process, yes i am doing it right and i am following yulitle's video for starting mains with flying clamps

Radicalized
09-24-2010, 03:36 PM
No problem, Donny0627. Anyway, 35 clicks makes sense. Thanks for checking that again. Sorry if I confused you the first time. Anyway, for a thin string like 1.20mm, you might want to go a little tighter. Try a few more clicks "clockwise." The last "thinner" string I did was like 1.22 or something. I think I might have been in the 33 "clicks" or slightly lower area. I'm just putting it that way because I'm not sure how else to describe the clamp setting, but you know what I'm talking about now. I forget the exact #. Sorry. Also, you note your process is correct. So, I'm baffled. Maybe check with others about the string's properties in the "strings" section of the board. I've seen that YULitle video. Well, for now, I'll say, assuming the clamps are clean and all of that, wipe down your string before the next job, tighten the clamps a little as noted in this post, and maybe try clamping and tensioning the conventional flying clamp method listed above instead of using the YU method. It can't hurt. Gotta go. Not as much help as I had hoped.

Donny0627
09-24-2010, 05:53 PM
wEll i strung another racket tonight. And, after setting the clamps around 33-34 clicks, i didnt have much of a problem. Also, bfore releasing tension i marked the string to track slippage. The strings would only move in the clamps around a milimeter. Thanks again everybody, but i think the real problem was just clamp tightness, as many suggeted but i dismissed :/

on a side note for anyone tht may have this problem in the future:
i tlked to a local stringer(hes been doing it for 30+ yrs.) about this problem, he recommended tht i get a third flying clamp. So, when i am doing the middle mains(middle 6 or so), i could clamp the same set of strings twice(2 different clamps). Then only move one of the clamps to the next pair.(sorry if this is really confusing

Radicalized
09-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Ok, Donny0627. I've got you on what the stringer told you. Before running out and spending about $40 on another floating clamp (Gamma in this example), try another click or two tighter. I'm usually doing 16g or 17g. You're all the way down to 18g. (I know I sometimes state the obvious.) Well, until the next time. Hope all continues well with your future racquets.

Donny0627
09-25-2010, 04:48 AM
O man wow am i making this hard on you. I totally forgot to mention in like 6 posts above tht i have been using mostly 16g synthetics for practice(not the 18g polyester tht u think i am using) I totally messed that up. Ur last post reminded me tht i still hadnt informed u of tht...

Radicalized
09-25-2010, 10:34 PM
I totally forgot to mention in like 6 posts above tht i have been using mostly 16g synthetics for practice(not the 18g polyester tht u think i am using)

No big deal, Donny0627. I think you know now where you need to be. With all the comments in your thread, the result is all that matters.