PDA

View Full Version : Body in the way of my Western forehand

newshound
06-01-2005, 05:48 PM
I find when I go severely western, my body gets in the way of my follow-thru and the ball goes into the net. There must be an easy solution to this, right?

takeuchi
06-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Like your body blocks your arm? If so, maybe you are arming it and aren't rotating your body.

paulfreda
06-01-2005, 07:39 PM
With an open stance your arm should be free to hit a windshield wiper or a drive towrard the target, no ???

Are you hitting it out in front ??

POGO
06-01-2005, 07:58 PM
It sounds like you are not using your trunk and shoulders to help drive the ball. When preparing to hit the ball you left shoulder should be pointing to the ball, and after contact and follow through your right shoulder should be pointing to the net.

If your body is in the way, then it sounds like you did not rotate your upper body, meaning your right shoulder is not pointing to the net.

Marius_Hancu
06-01-2005, 11:13 PM
well, re-assess your point of contact. it might be simply too close to your body.

Kana Himezaki
06-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Besides point of contact, I believe the main problem is no torso/shoulder rotation. That should be the key point of ANY open stance shot. Not only will rotating into the ball provide much better results, you'll find you're not hitting your body anymore.

TennsDog
06-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Your shoulders should rotate along with your arm/racket. I am also curious: is your body in the way during the shot or just the follow through. It doesn't seem like that should matter much if you have already made contact before. Perhaps I am wrong, hard to tell without seeing or experiencing it. But definitly work on getting those shoulders turned.

Ryoma
06-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Agree. Looks like you are arming it. For righty to hit an open stance forehand, most articles talked about the unit turn (The whole body turns as a unit with the chest facing to the right side.) But it seems that nothing is mentioned about the hip turn. There is 2 check points:
1. right hip is pointing toward the right sideline at the start of stroke.
2. right hip is pointing toward the net.

Make sure the stroke is initiated from the hip. The major different is that you should be able to generate much more power with less effort. Give it a shot!