PDA

View Full Version : Was it my Stringing or the String? Or the Way I Hit the Ball?

*breaksracquet
09-24-2010, 06:19 AM
The Story....

I played again last night with a new setup, FXP 17 Mains @ 57 lbs and Solinco Tour Bite 17 Crosses @ 54lbs with one of my relatively new racquets (see signature). I am a relatively heavy topspin player from the baseline but I generally have an attack game. Anyways, I played last night and then POP! 2 strings break at the same time! I was puzzled by this. Both strings that broke were mains, one in the center (where you would start your mains, then skip one main, and then another broken string). The break was in the dead center of each string and in the center of the frame (so it was a square hit, not a mishit). What kinda makes me mad is that the string only lasted about 6 hours and Tour Bite isn't cheap :evil:. The strings didn't begin to notch yet before it broke.

The Questions....

When strings double break like this, does it relate to my string job (I personally string on my own). Did I possibly string the FXP too high as it relates to a thinner gauge? I regularly string around 54/55 lbs. with FXP mains. I strung this setup around 57 lbs. Could it have been the FXP string? I bought 10 packs of FXP in bulk around early June this year and have gotten through 6 packs using half sets each time I string. So I guess I string rather frequently. Are the strings considered old or do they have a long shelf life? Am I not storing the strings properly? I have a roll out off brand craftsman-type work bench and store the strings inside a drawer. I didn't notice any kinks in the string and I am usually very gentle when stringing. Should I look to buying a thicker gauge multi now? OR am I totally over-analyzing the situation and just say I broke two strings at the same time, which is pretty awesome.

I know it is a lot of questions, but I have had this happen to me twice now with the FXP. The first time it happened around 12-15 hours, which I thought was normal. This time it took half the amount of time, which worries my stringing abilities.

Thanks!

*breaksracquet
09-24-2010, 06:56 AM
These are the strings that broke, but in the center, not near the frame...

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff326/flypino227/320VO2-2.jpg

mikeler
09-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Sometimes I break 1, 2 or 3 strings. I don't think that reflects on my stringing technique. Higher tension will result in quicker breakage. My current strings (Maxim Touch 17) typically break about a set quicker for each pound I go up in tension. The strings you have are not old. If you are storing the strings in the A/C you should be just fine. If your work bench is out in the garage, then I'd consider moving your strings indoors. Make sure not to drink too many IPAs before stringing. :)

MAX PLY
09-24-2010, 07:23 AM
It just happens sometimes. You likely hit the ball just so--I have done it tons of times even with very fresh strings (I also play with very thin sythetics or gut---I usually break within 10-12 hours of play anyway)--six hours of heavy topspin could easily wear out a set of 17 gauge enough to cause the breakage on a particular shot. It could be a bad set of strings too, but since you got 6hours of play, I doubt it---I wouldn't obsess too much unless it becomes chronic. Take it as a badge of honor--a tribute to your mighty strokes. :)

*breaksracquet
09-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Sometimes I break 1, 2 or 3 strings. I don't think that reflects on my stringing technique. Higher tension will result in quicker breakage. My current strings (Maxim Touch 17) typically break about a set quicker for each pound I go up in tension. The strings you have are not old. If you are storing the strings in the A/C you should be just fine. If your work bench is out in the garage, then I'd consider moving your strings indoors. Make sure not to drink too many IPAs before stringing. :)

The bench is inside and stored in my guest closet. I roll it into the living room to watch tv as I string. And no IPAs were consumed during the process of this string job...:D.

mikeler
09-24-2010, 07:57 AM
The bench is inside and stored in my guest closet. I roll it into the living room to watch tv as I string. And no IPAs were consumed during the process of this string job...:D.

Gotcha. Sounds like more of a fluke thing. By the way, the MT 17 I use is very consistent with breakage in a full bed. They go about 10 or 11 sets every time. When I used synthetic gut, sometimes it would break after 4 sets, other times it might last 10 sets.