PDA

View Full Version : "String Job"

verbouge
09-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Say, here's a thought. It's a little thing, but some of you may have thought of this, too: Is there any other phrase that can be popularized for putting in strings other than "string job"? It just sounds so pedestrian and unglamorous. I've been using the phrases "string installation" or "stringing" lately, when talking about or emailing about, well, string jobs. Again, just a thought.

Can we not do a better "job" at describing what we do?

Dave in Oregon

airman88
09-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Why not stringification?

verbouge
09-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Why not stringification?
That made me laugh! Either you are joking, or that is not quite it.

:-)

Radicalized
09-25-2010, 04:02 AM
I'm not a pro stringer, but I do string for myself and some others here and there. When they ask me to string, they'll always just say "restrung." I don't think I could change any of their terminologies. They know they can't do it or wouldn't want to try. Sometimes simplicity works. I had a friend who pumped gas in high school. On his resume, he wrote, "petroleum transfer engineer." I still laugh at that. What we really are is "racquet lacers and weavers." We have a pattern. We have a medium (string). We have a specified shape (the frame). We lace our mains and weave our crosses--not much different from a basket weaver really, if you've ever seen the process, in general terms, even with tying knots. It's one of those "behind the scenes" processes that magically happens for the racquet owner. They just want it done. I've never sensed a lack of "morale" among the stringers on this board. So, for the good of your idea, I've posted my selection. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but rather stating what I see.

Radicalized
09-25-2010, 04:25 AM
And what you need to do Verbouge is create yourself a logo if you don't have one. Take a shot like this and turn it into a graphic, because that's where it's at. I think the average player probably thinks of the string bed as a flat plane.
http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_big/LMRADO-6.JPG

verbouge
09-25-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm not a pro stringer, but I do string for myself and some others here and there. When they ask me to string, they'll always just say "restrung." I don't think I could change any of their terminologies. They know they can't do it or wouldn't want to try. Sometimes simplicity works. I had a friend who pumped gas in high school. On his resume, he wrote, "petroleum transfer engineer." I still laugh at that. What we really are is "racquet lacers and weavers." We have a pattern. We have a medium (string). We have a specified shape (the frame). We lace our mains and weave our crosses--not much different from a basket weaver really, if you've ever seen the process, in general terms, even with tying knots. It's one of those "behind the scenes" processes that magically happens for the racquet owner. They just want it done. I've never sensed a lack of "morale" among the stringers on this board. So, for the good of your idea, I've posted my selection. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but rather stating what I see.
"Restringing". I like it. Also, the logo idea, what a great idea! Thanks, Rad.

Irvin
09-26-2010, 11:05 AM
How about installation of the horizontal plane spherical deflection mechanism? But when you hit the ball are the strings horizontal or vertical? Or could they be angled? That is it, most of the time there is an angle so it would be installation of the angular plane spherical deflection mechanism. Darn I think we need to have a vote. I think we also need to come up with new terminology for a stringer. I never know if people are talking about the person or the thing.

Irvin

verbouge
09-26-2010, 10:23 PM
How about installation of the horizontal plane spherical deflection mechanism? But when you hit the ball are the strings horizontal or vertical? Or could they be angled? That is it, most of the time there is an angle so it would be installation of the angular plane spherical deflection mechanism. Darn I think we need to have a vote. I think we also need to come up with new terminology for a stringer. I never know if people are talking about the person or the thing.

Irvin
Your sarcastic point is well taken, Irvin. Maybe we can hand this job or blow this job over to someone who would rather just call it a string job. Do you get MY point? ;-)

SoBad
09-26-2010, 10:27 PM
the racquet has a master technician appointment

D-man
09-27-2010, 02:43 AM
Your sarcastic point is well taken, Irvin. Maybe we can hand this job or blow this job over to someone who would rather just call it a string job. Do you get MY point? ;-)

A string job sounds painful... :shock:

beernutz
09-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Racquet Rejuvenation
String Revival

Stinkdyr
09-27-2010, 07:28 AM
String Replacement
String System Upgrade
Stringasm

coachrick
09-27-2010, 07:43 AM
" Makin' squares "

Rabbit
09-27-2010, 08:10 AM
String Intallation Engineering

verbouge
09-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Racquet Rejuvenation
String Revival

String Replacement
String System Upgrade
Stringasm

" Makin' squares "

String Intallation Engineering
Why do I feel like Bonnie and Clyde's car after the ambush? I'm laughing my guts out over here. OK OK, I GIVE IN!!!

Some types of "jobs" cannot be improved upon.

Next subject........

airman88
09-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I have used stringify all week and it seems to be working well with customers.

verbouge
09-27-2010, 10:12 PM
I have used stringify all week and it seems to be working well with customers.

Forget it, Airman. I'm going to stringjob those racquets and bring them all to stringasm! I give in. It's just better this way. Honest. I'll even clean up the mess.

Dave

airman88
09-27-2010, 10:41 PM
I think stringasm only works when you are using some expensive natty gut or maybe top of the line multis.

I mean you can't use stringasm when stringifying with prince tournament nylon.

verbouge
09-27-2010, 10:57 PM
I think stringasm only works when you are using some expensive natty gut or maybe top of the line multis.

I mean you can't use stringasm when stringifying with prince tournament nylon.

But can I use "string job"? How about "stringsturbation" when using lower quality materials??

Centered
09-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Tensile fiber analysis, individuation, and technical inputting — with the extrication of superfluous bits.

aussie
09-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Dave, my dilemna is whether it is 'string job' or 'stringjob'. Can never quite make my mind up!! Either term works for me and I'm sure all on this forum know what we mean when we say something like a replicable stringjob. Seems to work well and is a descriptive and succinct term. aussie.

verbouge
09-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Dave, my dilemna is whether it is 'string job' or 'stringjob'. Can never quite make my mind up!! Either term works for me and I'm sure all on this forum know what we mean when we say something like a replicable stringjob. Seems to work well and is a descriptive and succinct term. aussie.
Thanks, Aussie. I've let go any earnest attempt at discussion about this. The crowd has spoken. And if that many people say basically the same thing, they are usually right. Not always. Germany in the 1930's comes to mind........

I hope you're well down under. Am hoping to have more spirited discussion regarding other things this upcoming autumn.

Dave

aussie
09-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks, Aussie. I've let go any earnest attempt at discussion about this. The crowd has spoken. And if that many people say basically the same thing, they are usually right. Not always. Germany in the 1930's comes to mind........

I hope you're well down under. Am hoping to have more spirited discussion regarding other things this upcoming autumn.

Dave

Not to mention WMD's in Iraq!! Life is great in Australia even with the minority Government we have with a female Prime Minister!! Seriously though, doesn't matter what color of Government we have, this country just rockets ahead and even middle income earners have a very enviable lifestyle.

Actually Dave, did you ever get an ERT 300? When I get around to it I'll kick off a thread about comparing the DT/string bed tension shown on the ERT300 with the tension I've just strung a frame with. Poles apart.

Anyway, stay happy in beautiful Oregon. Probably get to the US again next year although probably fly to Chicago and do a driving vacation from there. John (aussie)

kdurham
06-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Auugh!, I can't believe I read all of the posts. I feel like I have been "strung-along" till the end. Leaving and not coming back. ;~)

fortun8son
07-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Sounds like you are strung-out.
Methadone may help.

verbouge
07-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Seems we've all done a good "job". Gotta "hand" it to us. He he.

I've moved on, by the way. A string job is a stringjob is a .....word. It's what we do with it that matters.

fortun8son
07-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Seriously, I just offer to do a 'stringing'.

dancraig
07-04-2011, 12:59 AM