PDA

View Full Version : This is a stupid question but oh well

akj27
06-01-2005, 07:42 PM
When practicing with my friends, Im easily a level 4.0, my backhand/forehand/volley works like a charm, i rarely miss,(only thing i cant do is slices) but, when playing competitevely, i get desperate, and start playing like a 3.0. I know this may sound stupid, but has this ever hapenned to you guys?

ProStaffTour90
06-01-2005, 08:13 PM
of course, it's happens in any sport. Dealing with a competitive situation is part of the sport. How you play in a competitive situation is the treu measure of your abilities.

Unfortunately, i haven't overcome this myself yet, so i can't give you any advice on how to get over it.

Prince_of_Tennis
06-01-2005, 08:33 PM
All the time...How will can you handle the pressure. If you are thinking about "ok ok imma get this next ball or please serve go in" then of course its going to get to you. Just build confidence play a lot! Put stuff on the line like pushups or something.

theace21
06-01-2005, 10:10 PM
It is called match toughness. Playing to your ability not your opponents...Play tournaments, challange matches, league matches etc. Able to relax and have confidence to hit the correct shot at the right time takes many tough matches....Won't happen next week....Good Luck

Exile
06-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Put stuff on the line like pushups or something.

That is just a waste of time, you'll end up doing more push ups than actual practice that way, not so much the nerves, but the fact that it's just PRACTICE!
You don't need to put things on the line during practice.

JUst play more competitive tournies. that all you need.

dickbarney
06-02-2005, 04:30 AM
You have identified your weakness - how you play when you play for points - and that you are not working on that issue during pratice.

I would change how and what you pratice to mostly praticing playing points under a lot of different conditions - i.e. pratice playing tie-breakers, score ping-pong style, hit the ball over the net 5 times then play out the point....etc.

gscone
06-02-2005, 07:03 AM
As one of the other posters stated- Play more and more so, play against players that are better than you to build match toughness. We all grow through this stage....Good Luck..

TennsDog
06-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Heh. I've never heard of a 4.0 w/o slice. You may want to start working on that shot.

akj27
06-02-2005, 08:29 AM
well, thats what my coach said, he said i hit likea 4.0, but i cant hit slices, thats why im not a 4.0

highsierra
06-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Play more matches with your friend, and don't be afraid of losing a lot of them in the first few weeks. I was exactly like what you described about 6 months ago when started playing again after a long layoff. I felt really good about myself when hitting rallies but then in a match, not even a real competition, my play was miserable. My shots were so tentative, I couldn't swing fully. I pushed myself to keep playing matches and bite the losses. Four months later I started feeling the big improvement. Now I hit the ball almost as relaxed and hard during matches as during warmup rallies. Not quite the same yet so I'm still working on it.

papa
06-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Well, one of the problems here, and we all have been through it, it that we have a tendency to think of the "whole" match/the outcome and not thinking in terms of just playing the "present" point. It doesn't matter what has happened already in the game or what might happen in the "next" point - easy to say, but hard to do at times. The only point that is relative, in any match, is the point your presently playing - its the only one you can do anything about. This is one of the major reasons people can play well in practice or just hitting but when it counts, they fold their tent --- too much thinking going on about the wrong things. I remember a coach of mine who used to tell me that "everytime you start thinking we get into trouble, just go out there and play the d--- game".

montx
06-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I think the slice is probably the most important defensive shot in tennis. My backhand slice keeps me in the point tons. It is important for the crucial points of the game, where you can make sure you return.

MegacedU
06-02-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm exactly the opposite, I play well under pressure and like hell with my friends.

Return_Ace
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
I know exactly how you fee ajkl........when in school i play so consistently with friends and can rip off winners from anywhere in the court :) however under pressure in competitions i just tense up and don't play my best game ....... it's very frustrating :(