PDA

View Full Version : Federer racquet

5.0 TopDog
04-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Have anyone notice Federer racket at the bottom throat where the main string come into the racket have some source of material that I believe that is used for extra cushioning for the string..? I wonder what it is exactly..

ProStaffTour90
04-19-2004, 11:38 AM
They're leather power pads, i'm not sure whether they offer extra power or act kinda like a shock absorber. :?

brijoel
04-19-2004, 11:38 AM
they are just little pieces of folded leather. they were used on wood racquets all the time. some people think they make the racquet feel softer, etc.
i cant attest to any real difference in feel when ive played with identicaly strung racquets, one with the pads and one without, but it's all preference.

BreakPoint
04-19-2004, 12:56 PM
I think the leather pads on the wood racquets (and I assume for some graphite racquets, too) were used to keep the strings from rubbing against the frame whenever you hit the ball since wood racquets didn't have grommet strips. This is suppose to help prevent strings from breaking at those friction points where the strings meet the bare frame.

Hawaii 5.0
04-19-2004, 12:57 PM
The reason for having power pads is becuase in the mains in the throat they get the most use and the leather is kinda a shock absorbing grommet rounding system to make less of an angle for those strings as they go around the turn.Most people use power pads in the inner throat mains and 2 outside main grommets which are sometimes notorious for snapping gut becuase of the sharp angle the gut must go around.The basis for technolgies like MP,Woofers,rollers,etc, to round out the grommets,whether they move or not.

James Brown
04-19-2004, 05:56 PM
so how do you make these and apply them? (details for us newbies? :>)