PDA

View Full Version : Can Head LiquidMetal racquets be hazardous

La Bomba
06-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Can head lm racquets be hazardous How they contain lm?

fishuuuuu
06-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Liquidmetal is just about as dangerous as any other racket, depending on your techique. However most LM rackets to me are very forgiving and don't present any real physical harm.

The "supposed" Liquidmetal in the rackets is injected into the ridges of every LM Racket at the 10 o' clock, 2 o' clock, 5 o' clock, and 7 o' clock locations and helps to reinforce the racket at the moment of impact by assuming solid shape from a previously liquid shape.

Personally to me, this is just marketing and the racket is just some silicone and graphite. While I could be crazy.... no it's just marketing =P

Here's a little experiment I did a while back... you might be interested. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=49123)

And just if you're wondering, yes, the racket was already cracked severely without a warranty. Or well... I bought it overseas and I wasn't going to go back to Hong Kong to replace it.

AndrewD
06-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Well, unless you try to ingest them they should be pretty safe lol.

Seriously though, the whole liquidmetal concept doesnt mean there's anything sloshing around inside but if you're concerned have a look on the TW main page for the LM racquets and it will explain the technology for you. Does the Liquid Metal actually do anything? That I dont know, although it does obviously affect the way the racquet plays. In relation to other Prestige racquets I dont think the change has been a particularly good one.

Return_Ace
06-02-2005, 12:40 AM
hey fishu you bought your racket in Hong Kong..where? My parents say that HK isn't really to be trusted do to the amount of fake/cheapie stuff there.

TennsDog
06-02-2005, 08:05 AM
LiquidMetal isn't a 'part' of the racket that you can look at and find. It is more of a description of the process by which the racket is made. There is no actual liquid metal inside the racket. The only metal that is in liquid form at room temperature is mercury (element-wise), which is hazardous and so Head would be sued and put out of business in a second for selling those.