PDA

View Full Version : Would training for TABLE tennis conflict with tennis playing?

06-02-2005, 04:39 AM
I am interested in buying a TABLE tennis robot machine to train seriously for table tennis at home.

I would appreciate comment from good tennis players who are also good table tennis players on whether this serious training would hinder my tennis game.

Marius_Hancu
06-02-2005, 04:59 AM
It really depends how fanatical are you about your tennis game. Because it would be influenced by your table tennis, but perhaps not enough for you to notice or bother. Wristy motions, that's the danger.

oumpapa
06-02-2005, 05:10 AM
In general any type of training that involves a ball will be good for you.
Good table tennis players usually are quick learners when it comes to tennis.
It's true that you use the wrist more in table tennis, but the hand eye coordination practice plus the training in judging angles, speed and spin can be directly used in tennis or any other ball game. At the same time you will benifit from the swift reactions that you gain from playing table tennis.
Anything that improves your motor skills will of course be good for you on the tennis court.

tom-selleck
06-02-2005, 07:06 AM
yeah, i think table tennis would be great training/background for actual tennis... just wondering if it will fit in my living room.

but the hand eye and having to react quickly would really help and i don't think the wristiness is a big deal (as opposed to squash, which i think might affect your groundstrokes).

tom-selleck
06-02-2005, 07:13 AM
one more thing...... when i play people better than me, i feel rushed and "handcuffed" alot and i would assume that table tennis would be tremendous for that...... just look at what federer does when he's under heavy pressure. it's all hand/eye, reaction time and racquet head speed.

equinox
06-02-2005, 07:36 AM
When my team was playing vic pennant at dingly tennis club.
Dingly had nice table tennis setup.

My doubles partner loved TT, but steadfastly refused to even consider playing me in a quick game during the rain delay.

Said it would put out his judgement of distances or something.

joe sch
06-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Fred Perry was a champion in both table and court tennis !

fist pump
06-02-2005, 09:10 PM
i dont think it will bother your tennis much but badminton is another story....