PDA

View Full Version : Built In Clamps or Seperate

mr33
09-27-2010, 04:26 AM
Hi TW

When purchasing a drop weight string machine, is having the seperate clamps better than the built in clamps?

Cheers ;)

P.S.
Sorry if there is an actual name for them :S

mr33
09-27-2010, 04:30 AM
Couldn't find the edit button :S (lol) I am trying to keep to a cheaper budget! Is there any major difference between a 400 drop weight and a 900?

Cheers ;)

Irvin
09-27-2010, 05:03 AM
By separate clamps I think you are referring to flying or floating clamps, and built in clamps you are referring to fixed clamps.

I think fixed clamps are much more versatile than flying clamps. You usually get what you pay for though.

As far as a 400 and 900 drop weight, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Irvin

Nuke
09-27-2010, 05:04 AM
Fixed clamps ("built in") are better than floating clamps ("separate").

COPEY
09-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Don't be misled into thinking the more money you spend on a machine, the better string job it'll yield. Higher priced machines typically give you more conveniences, ease of use. Having said that, fixed, high-end clamps will secure a racquet better and are easier to use than floating clamps, but the clamping system on a $200 stringer can definitely get the job done.

You'll find lots of great info on these boards regarding machines in a variety of price ranges. Figure out what you need (stringing for yourself, stringing for a team, stringing for yourself & just one or two others, etc.), do a little reading, and make a decision.

Regardless of what machine you decide on, after a little practice (and more reading/viewing instructional videos), you'll be fine. By all means keep asking questions, but I highly recommend a little research first. ;-)

Bedrock
09-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Fixed clamps hold one string. Floating clamp fixes strings by holding on two strings(next to each other).
The floating clamps are t more convenient, since you can use them on top of strings (not necessary under). This gives you a bit more comfort while doing cross.
You always can add fixed clamps latter buying them separately.

struggle
09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Fixed clamps hold one string. Floating clamp fixes strings by holding on two strings(next to each other).
The floating clamps are t more convenient, since you can use them on top of strings (not necessary under). This gives you a bit more comfort while doing cross.

i don't buy into this at all. the fixed clamps are not normally located in the area you are weaving crosses, they are located in the area of the already tensioned crosses. yes, there may be a very slight hindrance at times, but i would not consider floating clamps superior by any means.

floating clamps are quite adequate in the hands of a capable user, but fixed is the preferred default i'd say.

Nuke
09-27-2010, 10:13 AM

Huh? You can always add floating clamps, but if you buy a machine that doesn't come set up for fixed clamps, you generally cannot add them later.

drakulie
09-27-2010, 10:16 AM

I just got an ice cream headache.

Rabbit
09-27-2010, 10:57 AM

You can? Damn, I should never have gotten rid of my Tremont wind-up stringing machine. I could have simply upgraded the clamps and tension head and presto! a Babolat Star 5 for $110 + $500 for the Wise + ???? for the fixed clamps clamp upgrade.

BTW - who makes this fixed clamp upgrade?

Bedrock
09-27-2010, 11:34 AM
You can? Damn, I should never have gotten rid of my Tremont wind-up stringing machine. I could have simply upgraded the clamps and tension head and presto! a Babolat Star 5 for $110 + $500 for the Wise + ???? for the fixed clamps clamp upgrade.

BTW - who makes this fixed clamp upgrade?

To be more precise have to say that some machines allow to add fixed clamps. I'm talking about Gamma Progression II only, which in my case came with a rail that allows to mount on it fixed clamps.

Bedrock
09-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Modern design allows to modify(upgrade of downgrade) stringing machine easily.

struggle
09-27-2010, 11:40 AM

To be more precise have to say that some machines allow to add fixed clamps. I'm talking about Gamma Progression II only, which in my case came with a rail that allows to mount on it fixed clamps.

that's a very specific mod available to one particular machine(s).

one generally saves LOTS of money, buying such basic features up front, and not adding them later.

edit: yes, i know i use too many commas, /sigh/,,,

Bedrock
09-27-2010, 01:20 PM
There is an example of how the Gamma Progression 2 602 can be upgraded:
http://www.mercantila.com/p/gamma-progression-602-stringing-machine-66495?utm_source=Amazon_Product_Ads&utm_medium=Shopbots&utm_term=www.mercantila.com&utm_campaign=11795057__gamma_progression_602_strin ging_machine_66495

see both images

When you buy machine over TW
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamma_Progression_II_602_Stringing_Machine/descpageGAMMA-602.html
you are getting the machine shown on first reference without fixed clamps.

So if you buy just camps later you can upgrade it.

TW probably just did not refresh the picture.

It is possible to buy this model with and without fixed clamps and modify configuration as you wish.

I personaly own this machine and know exactly what I'm talking about.

struggle
09-27-2010, 01:34 PM
^^^^^^^ yep. all you say is true.

Rabbit
09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
There is an example of how the Gamma Progression 2 602 can be upgraded:
http://www.mercantila.com/p/gamma-progression-602-stringing-machine-66495?utm_source=Amazon_Product_Ads&utm_medium=Shopbots&utm_term=www.mercantila.com&utm_campaign=11795057__gamma_progression_602_strin ging_machine_66495

see both images

When you buy machine over TW
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamma_Progression_II_602_Stringing_Machine/descpageGAMMA-602.html
you are getting the machine shown on first reference without fixed clamps.

So if you buy just camps later you can upgrade it.

TW probably just did not refresh the picture.

It is possible to buy this model with and without fixed clamps and modify configuration as you wish.

I personaly own this machine and know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm sure you do. I think the point is that your machine is by far the exception and not the rule. The implication you made was that ANY dropweight or other machine could be upgraded for fixed clamps and this is certainly not the case.

struggle
09-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi TW

When purchasing a drop weight string machine, is having the seperate clamps better than the built in clamps?

Cheers ;)

P.S.
Sorry if there is an actual name for them :S

to the OP:

generally (always) one would prefer fixed clamps, but floating clamps will also work just fine.

COPEY
09-27-2010, 02:24 PM
mr33...here's a perfect example of what you need to be mindful of when researching information on these boards. Sometimes you'll get misleading or erroneous information. Other times you'll see opinions stated as fact. If you read enough you'll learn to separate fact from opinion for the most part, but when you can't, ask a question. Look for names like Mansewerz, Rabbit, jim_e, Irvin, drakulie, VGP, Bud, Gamma Tech, Yulitle...the list goes on, but you'll see the patterns.

In my opinion, regardless of what machine you buy you simply can't go wrong. ANY machine will allow you to string racquets, which is the bottom line after all. What I recommend you do is educate yourself with respect to stringers in general, then figure out what features are important to you and your needs.

Bedrock
09-28-2010, 10:00 AM
regardless of what machine you buy you simply can't go wrong.

Agree. The major consert is not to damage a frame. Any machine allows to do stringing just fine. Get 6 points, that is more important that type of clamps.

COPEY
09-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Get 6 points, that is more important that type of clamps.

Hehe there have already been post wars waged with respect to 2-point/6-point mounting, so I can't say I'm inclined to go down that road.

Just to restate, in my opinion ANY machine...2-point, 6,-point, 12-point - it doesn't matter, will allow you to successfully string racquets if used correctly.

jim e
09-28-2010, 11:12 AM
mr33...here's a perfect example of what you need to be mindful of when researching information on these boards. Sometimes you'll get misleading or erroneous information. Other times you'll see opinions stated as fact. If you read enough you'll learn to separate fact from opinion for the most part, but when you can't, ask a question. Look for names like Mansewerz, Rabbit, jim_e, Irvin, drakulie, VGP, Bud, Gamma Tech, Yulitle...the list goes on, but you'll see the patterns.

In my opinion, regardless of what machine you buy you simply can't go wrong. ANY machine will allow you to string racquets, which is the bottom line after all. What I recommend you do is educate yourself with respect to stringers in general, then figure out what features are important to you and your needs.

COPEY is correct. Any machine will allow you to string racquets.Its all if used correctly as he stated.irregardless of the points Its how you get there with the machine that you use. Personally myself, I like the extra features and is well worth it for me, even though I no longer string the great # of racquets like I once did in the past.If I was restricted on a machine purchase, the bare minimum for me would be 6 point suspension mounting, fixed clamps, and a good brake system, but thats me.Everyone is different on what they are comfortable using.I am very comfortable using a high end machine, and can string very fast and consistant which is important. If you can string consistant on a low end machine, and feel comfortable doing so, then the job will be most likely proper, but if you are not comfortable with the machine you have at hand, then different results may occur.
Some will disagree with me on this,(I expect it here, and thats okay), but you do get what you pay for.If you think you would be stringing for a while,and limited funds, then try to get used and get as much as you can as far as features.
Being new to stringing, using a low end drop weight, and if say for instance you string a good # of O Port racquets, it may get very frustrating in the beginning attempting to string the cross strings by holding onto the racquet to keep it from rotating, while keeping the drop weight bar horizontal, and then clamping properly with the floating clamps, and that can be a little overwhelming.Yes it can be done and very efficiently, but thats usually by people here that are experienced enough stringing, as they know enough from experience over time.
My best suggestion to anyone wanting to purchase a machine, is to actually watch someone string, no matter what machine it is, then you have an idea of what is required to do, and will know some of the features avail. and what they are for, and then you could decide what features are worth to you for the job that is to be done.

Bedrock
09-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Personally I do take in account this parameter. It is important for me to protect the frame from being damaged (accidentally).
I can trust my 7 years old daugther to string racquet on Gamma Prog II 602 with 6 points (with a little help from my side).