PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone choke up the handle to volley?

twocents
06-02-2005, 05:28 AM
I played with a Demo "PLUS" (4.0 Sr. #1 doubles) last night.
Lost in a third set tie breaker on Hard true. I lost a few points in quick exchanges (usually my strength) and shots into my body due to the length.
All of a sudden I have a Huge serve (usually my weakness) but not volleying all that great. What about choking up on the handle to volley ?
Thanks for any responses.

oldguysrule
06-02-2005, 07:27 AM
It looks like Nadal chokes up on his racquet for volleys. I think he plays a standard length and still moves his hand up on the grip a little bit.

TommyGun
06-02-2005, 07:27 AM
do it all the time, and so did a ton of all-time greats (Norman Brookes the most famous, well, after me LOL!). I have played with 28" frames fo most of my life, and found that chocking up is more of a necessity rather then a luxury. More in dubs then singles.

A small sacrifice for the added reach, power and victory!

jayserinos99
06-02-2005, 01:09 PM
i don't like using extended frames so when i got to try the pog lb i couldn't volley with it unless i choked up the handle about an inch to get the right feel. i couldn't see why you shouldn't choke up; if it works stick with it in this case.

kabob
06-02-2005, 01:25 PM
I use an extended frame (Fischer Pro Tour Extreme FT 95) and never choke up. Reaction and racquet placement were off at first but after practicing and learning to hit a bit more away from my body, I hit groundstrokes and volleys the same as any standard length racquet.

Fuzzless
06-02-2005, 02:25 PM
not to change the subject or anything, but the court is "har-tru". i think, anyway.

Matt_Williamson
06-02-2005, 02:53 PM
No, No, No... Bad, Bad, Bad.... learn to volley efficiently with underspin. 85% of junior and club players cannot volley. Your game will vastly improve if you take the time to learn a correct volley. Good luck.
MW

J D
06-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Twocents, the only problem you might encounter with choking up, besides the obvious one of grip changes, is a slight lose in stability by removing your hand from the racquet butt. One of the negatives of longer frames is a lose of mobility and choking up will certainly solve the problem. Chang used to choke up on his stretch frames for second serves.

I've played with longer frames for years and it didn't take too long to get used to volleying with them. Given time, you'll eventually adjust, also. Now the only time my PD+ feels a bit sluggish is on high backhand reflex volleys. Still, for my game, the pluses of a + frame definitely outweigh the minuses.