PDA

View Full Version : Please do not delete. Super RD90 vs RDX500mid

alltogether
06-02-2005, 07:14 AM
I first posted this message at the Pro's Racquets and Gear forum by mistake. Reposting here.

Has anyone tried both these racquets?

I used to use the PS6.0 85. Loved it, but a bit underpowered for tournament play when under pressure. Switched to the Yonex RDX-500 because one reviewer described it as a modern, more forgiving PS6.0 85.

Has worked out OK. But I miss the weight of the PS6.0 85. Rather than mess around with lead tape, I was thinking of getting a couple of second hand SRD-90s.

Appreciate any comparisons you may have on the two Yonex racquets. Thinking in terms of weight, balance, feel, and stiffness.

Thanks.

BLiND
06-02-2005, 07:43 AM
You'd rather change your racquets than experiement with lead?... your mad.

Bora
06-02-2005, 10:43 AM
But then again, he changed racquets because someone said RDX-500 was a more modern and forgiving PS 6.0 85. I second the motion, you are mad.

RafaN RichardG
06-02-2005, 05:47 PM
geez dont make fun of the guy, hes just asking your advice. i tested the yonex rdx 500 midplus. its not all that, thats probably why hewitt has his super rd90 painted as a rdx 500. if you like the yonex rdx 500 i would def reccomend the super rd 90, its much more stable.

Redflea
06-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Rafan RichardG...RDX Mid Plus and Mid are about as unalike as two racquets from the same company could be, IMHO...love my Mid, didn't care for the MP at all. Should not assume trying the mid is a proxy for the MP or vice-versa...

Michelangelo
06-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Yeah. I've demoed both RDX500 midsize and midplus (16x19). It might be due to my previous experience of Pro Staff 85, however, despite they belong to the same product line, I felt that these 2 rackets performed substantially differently. The midsize is sure one of the most confortable player racket with plenty of control, while the midplus constantly gave me excess power (thus I hit almost every ball long) with slightly-better-than-average control.

alltogether
06-03-2005, 06:51 AM
Thanks to those who came to my defence. I feel the love....

To my detractors (I must respond..), obviously you're not old friends of the PS85 looking for something a bit more powerful and forgiving when the going gets tough. I bet there's a legion of us out there.

Also, have you tried making a racquest heavier using lead tape without altering the balance and swingweight (yes, theoretically you can alter static weight without altering the swing weight)? Not as easy as you think.

The RDX500 mid has been compared to the PS85 by a number of people, including the official playtesters and independent playtesters at TW (go to TW's page on the RDX500).

Plus, Yonex introduced a 90" 18x20 model that did not do well. I thought I saw it at TW not long ago, but seems to have been removed. The opening line was something along the lines of "SRD90 and PS85 fans have been waiting for this....". I think the racquet was designed for Mary Pierce when she was switching from her PS85 to Yonex.

All said.....I am turning into a racquet junkie in my pursuit of the holy grail. Blame the tools, not the carpenter, right?

Bora
06-03-2005, 07:36 AM
I have a client who is in the same boat, except he is trying to replace the PS 6.0 95. So far he tried the Volkl Tour 10 MP. He likes it for serves but misses the feel of the ProStaff. He has recently settled on the Tour 95, cause he wanted something lighter with a similar feel. I have a SRD95 which I think is a bit too heavy for me, it weighs 12.8 ounces. In honesty, I don't think it is much more solid than an RDX500 mid.

I really would like to know how you can alter the static weight without changing the SW and the balance, cause I used to be pretty damn good at physics and I just don't see how.

What I would suggest is for you to get some of the extra heavy Babolat lead tape and stick some at the throat of the racquet close to the balance point. You might just get the feel you are looking for.

Michelangelo
06-03-2005, 08:10 AM
You can add extra weight to alter the static weight as well as either keep the swing weight or balance point unchanged, but I believe it shouldn't be able to achieve both at the same time (think about the moment arm, equivalent to the location you add the extra weight. Too bad I'm too busy at my school papers recently, no time to prove it).

alltogether
06-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Bora, I picked this up from ******************.com.

Apparently there is a point called the axis of rotation, which is just above the index finger when you are holding the racquet. About 4" up from the but of the grip. I don't understand the physics (I think there was even a formula) but can understand that the AOR is roughly the point where the racquet swivels just when you are ploughing through the ball.

I've tried it and it seems to work. Adding weight around the throat, around the balance point, increases the static weight and the swingweight. If you really lay it on thick, I think you'll soon find the racquet feels a little clumsy.

What I'm considering with my RDX500 mid is add a little bit of lead tape around 3 and 9 o'clock to add stability and balance this with weight at the but of the handle. This should bring up the static and swing weight. Then finetune the static weight by adding weight at the axis of rotation.

But if the SRD Tour 90 has a nice weight and balance, then I'd rather not mess around with the RDX and get a bunch of SRD Tour 90s. They way I see it, it's kind up like souping up a Toyota to get the performance of a BMW. I'd rather just buy the BMW if I can find it.

Bora
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Like I said, you are still going to alter the SW when you add weight. AOR is kinda besides the point of my earlier post. Adding the weight at the throat does increase your SW but not as much as adding at the racquet head. Its main advantage is that it gives you that nice "solid" feel and the plow through effect for cheap.

I understand picking up some new sticks for cheap might be very attractive to you but I happen to think that the RDX500 Mid is a better racquet than the SRD Tour 95 (I haven't hit with the 90)

alltogether
06-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Apologies. If you add weight around the axis of rotation, the increase in swingweight is minimised. Much less than adding at the balance point. Try it to believe it.

lacoster
06-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Plus, Yonex introduced a 90" 18x20 model that did not do well. I thought I saw it at TW not long ago, but seems to have been removed. The opening line was something along the lines of "SRD90 and PS85 fans have been waiting for this....". I think the racquet was designed for Mary Pierce when she was switching from her PS85 to Yonex.

All said.....I am turning into a racquet junkie in my pursuit of the holy grail. Blame the tools, not the carpenter, right?

That Yonex was the RDti-70, which was 88 sq. in. with 18x20 pattern. It did well on the market actually; it was Richard Krajicek's and Mary Pierce's racquet. It was introduced over six years ago.
________
BUY MAGIC FLIGHT LAUNCH BOX (http://www.vaporshop.com/mflb-vaporizer.html)

christo
06-03-2005, 07:33 PM
I went from the ps 6.0 85 to the RDX 500 mid as I like the smaller head size frames, the RDX is a little easier to swing but lacks the solidity of the ps.
Then I found the RD7, ah ha I thought to myself, this is the ticket, heavier and stable. I went out and found 3 of them. Aftera couple of weeks I started to feel a twinge in my elbow, call it coincidence or whatever but I now have a Ulnar Collateral Ligament strain. It sort of runs around the elbow and can be quite painful. So I returned to the RDX mid ( strung with gut) and put a little lead tape at 3, 9 and 12. Definitely more solid, feels pretty damn nice.
Anyone want to buy a couple of RD 7's ?

sw00sh
06-04-2005, 09:36 AM
have you tried changing the RDX mid grip to leather? I did and now my sticks weight at 12.5~12.6oz (two rackets). I played with SRD Tour 90 brieftly before. I just bought it to try after hearing wonders about them. I like them a lot but just couldnt stand the 'disentegration' of the grommet at the bottom of the head near the throat area, they keep breaking, so I decided to sell them off. I remember they are more manuverable than RDX Mid and more heavier, but they do comes originally with the Yonex Black leather grip. So when I got my hands on the RDX, first thing I do is to replace it with the leather grip. So far I do think stability wise I have no problem with it comparing with SRD Tour but only its more head heavier than the SRD Tour, which is the manuverability wise.

hope this helps as general info.

alltogether
06-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks Christo.
I'll try the lead tape around the head

Thanks Swoosh
I do have a leather grip on now. Helps.
The SRD Tour 90 sounds really tempting. Leather pads under the bottom grommets may help the grommets last longer.