PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question -- crossing over the net to hit a ball

HitItHarder
09-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Just like the title says -- in a USTA unofficiated league match, who makes the call as to whether a player reached over the net to hit a ball?

Is it the player who hit the shot (similar to the double bounce or double hit call) or can the players across the net make that call?

Thanks ... HIH

spot
09-27-2010, 02:57 PM
THe player who hits it has to call themselves for it. Which is why I personally think the rule should be done away with for unofficiated matches- some players just consistently ignore the rule since its hard to tell whether contact was made before an invisible line was crossed and it gives them a significant advantage. (in doubles at least)

woodrow1029
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
THe player who hits it has to call themselves for it. Which is why I personally think the rule should be done away with for unofficiated matches- some players just consistently ignore the rule since its hard to tell whether contact was made before an invisible line was crossed and it gives them a significant advantage. (in doubles at least)
But if you change it to where the opposing player calls it, you will see a lot more issues with certain players calling it ever time it's close.

Remember, you can follow-through with your racket over the net after hitting the ball. Most of the time, unless it's really, really flagrant, the player is waiting till it crosses, and it looks the other way to the opposing player.

If both opponents are back near the baseline, how is it possible they can tell for sure if the net person hit it before the ball crossed the net.

The way it is now causes much less problems than if the opponents were allowed to make the call.

spot
09-27-2010, 03:09 PM
woodrow- in my world the part where you aren't allowed to cross the net would be the part eliminated. To me since there are some people who just don't ever call themselves for it to me it would be better to just let all players do it.

CP3
09-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Interesting: so as long as the point of contact between ball and racket is before the net, it's a fair shot?

woodrow1029
09-27-2010, 03:37 PM
woodrow- in my world the part where you aren't allowed to cross the net would be the part eliminated. To me since there are some people who just don't ever call themselves for it to me it would be better to just let all players do it.
Oh, ok. That makes more sense to me than my original idea of what you were saying.

woodrow1029
09-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Interesting: so as long as the point of contact between ball and racket is before the net, it's a fair shot?
You are correct. The only time you can hit the ball on your opponent's side of the net is when the wind or backspin carry it back over after it has bounced on your side. You still can't touch the net or your opponent's court however.

thehustler
09-27-2010, 09:49 PM
You are correct. The only time you can hit the ball on your opponent's side of the net is when the wind or backspin carry it back over after it has bounced on your side. You still can't touch the net or your opponent's court however.

Technically you could go around the net post, stand in the doubles alley and hit the ball into the net. That's only in singles though. In doubles you'd have to stand outside the alley and hit the ball. It's completely legal to do, but the odds of that ever happening are quite a long shot.

HitItHarder
09-28-2010, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the responses. We have a match tonight (USTA Combo) and a couple guys on our team believe one of the players on the other team is something of a habitual offender of this rule.

I have told them before it is difficult to tell for the reasons Woodrow noted above and to just play on without worrying about it. But I wanted to make sure of the rule before I tried to reinforce this tonight.

I kind of like Spot's point about just doing away with the rule and allowing it in unofficiated matches as long as you don't come in contact with the net. At least it would level the playing field and just let everyone do it.

jswinf
09-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Maybe you can't call an opponent for reaching over the net to hit a ball, but if they're doing it a lot you can whine about it, ask them "are you sure you didn't reach over the net to hit that?" and try to get it through their pointy little head that they shouldn't do that. Might help.

Although it's hard to enforce, I wouldn't want to see the 'over the net' rule done away with. I've had experience with chumps who belly up to the net, stick their racket over with both hands, and mis-hit the ball straight down. Hard for them to miss, hard for you to defend. After all, maybe an opponent doesn't always call themselves on returning a ball a little after the second bounce. Should we just say,"Oh, 1 bounce, 3 bounces, what's the big deal?"

Here's a question: can you make a call on an opponent who hits the net, I mean really whacks the sucker or runs into it, and acts like nothing happened? Or do they always have to call that on themselves?

polski
09-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Maybe you can't call an opponent for reaching over the net to hit a ball, but if they're doing it a lot you can whine about it, ask them "are you sure you didn't reach over the net to hit that?" and try to get it through their pointy little head that they shouldn't do that. Might help.

Although it's hard to enforce, I wouldn't want to see the 'over the net' rule done away with. I've had experience with chumps who belly up to the net, stick their racket over with both hands, and mis-hit the ball straight down. Hard for them to miss, hard for you to defend. After all, maybe an opponent doesn't always call themselves on returning a ball a little after the second bounce. Should we just say,"Oh, 1 bounce, 3 bounces, what's the big deal?"

Here's a question: can you make a call on an opponent who hits the net, I mean really whacks the sucker or runs into it, and acts like nothing happened? Or do they always have to call that on themselves?

I have definately asked an opponent if they made contact before or after the ball crossed the net. I remember an opponent one time actually stood back, looked at the net, and agreed that he in fact had hit it before it crossed...very noble.

I would be in favor of doing away with the over the net rule altogether...follow throughs included.

I'd also like eliminating let cords on serves. Just like in volleyball & DI mens tennis, where agreessive serving can be rewarded by the occasional lucky bounce.