PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "Help me choose a racquet" thread

Ash Doyle
06-02-2005, 08:08 AM
I've been flip-flopping between three different racquets lately, and I don't feel totally comfortable with any of them. I'm hoping you guys can point me toward a racquet that works for me.

I use a strong eastern forehand that I hit relatively flat. I use a one-handed backhand where the shots are probably evenly divided between flat and slice. I usually end up at net on about half of my points, and slice approach shots on forehand or backhand side. I rely heavily on my serve to force errors. Big, flat first serve, and a slice second serve.

The four racquets I've been rotating between lately are a Wilson HPS 6.1 18x20, A POG OS, and a POG Series 90.

I feel most comfortable with the POG Series 90. The weight feels about right, although a fraction of an ounce lighter would be nice. I have great control with this racquet, and can generate the pace I need without too much effort. My problems with this racquet: I'd prefer it a hair less heavy, and with a touch more power.

The POG OS is nice, and gives me the power I like, but I can't serve well with this racquet. I don't know why, but I have problems serving well with any oversize racquet. Groundstrokes feel ok, but the oversize head makes it a little cumbersome. My problem with this racquet: The size. It just feels slow, and I can't serve my best with it.

The Wilson HPS 6.1 18x20 is OK, but it's just too headlight and lacking in power. I've tried leading it up, but it just doesn't work for me. It may be the dense string pattern.

Over the past few months I've swapped in other racquets for short spans of use too: Dunlop Maxply McEnroe: nice feel, but I'd prefer something more headlight. Prince Mono: Slightly unstable feeling. Babolat Pure Drive: Not a solid feeling hit. Yonex RDX 300: Same thing, not solid feeling.

My complaints aren't major, and I can play fine with any of my three main racquets. I would just like to find a racquet that I feel completely comfortable with, and I'm hoping that the combined wisdom of you guys on the board can help me out. My one criteria that can rule out a racquet instantly is weight. Ever since I began playing I've used racquet around 12 oz. and over, and most (not all) racquets that weigh less just don't feel right to me. I hope you guys can help me out with some suggestions. I've thought about trying out the Prince O3 Tour, but I've heard mention that it is too headlight and whippy.

Thanks for reading this long, rambling post.

HeavyBall
06-02-2005, 08:54 AM
If the Pog has a Leather grip, replace it with synthetic. It will be a little lighter, but you shouldn't lose much power, as the sw won't change much.

If you still need a little more power, add a little lead at 12 (not too much, it will get heavier than it was).

Tennis312
06-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey Ash,

Our games sounds fairly similar. I, too, have been struggling and trying racquets lately and can offer a few thoughts. There are plenty of opinions on this board, so you will hear from lots of others. I was a Pro Staff Classic 6.1 user. I loved the racquet, but found it was a little too heavy and was hurting my shoulder so I had to switch. And, unlike you it seems, I have never been fond of Prince racquets.

You might want to try the Volkl Pro C10 and related Volkl's. I really like the C10 -- does everything well and provides great touch. I never even considered Volkl until reading this board and I ended up loving it. Although not similar, I also liked the Wilson ncode 6.1 Tour. More of a challenge than the Volkl, but when you hit it right, it is a lovely racquet, and a server's dream -- ball goes where you want with pin-point control. I haven't tried the 95 version of the nCode, but I assume it is more forgiving. I also liked the Head Liquid Metal, though not as much as the Volkl or ncode. I tried, but was not enamored of, the PS 6.0 classic, Prince POG, or the Yonnex player's model. Nothing terribly wrong, I just didn't get a good feel from them. Same for the Slazenger Pro X-1,which lots of folks like. For some odd reason, I had no control with that racquet.

Fuzzless
06-02-2005, 02:37 PM
consider demoing the Slazenger Pro X1 if you really need a new racquet. i read in a comparative review that it had great maneuverability and adequate power. it is 12 oz.

volleyman
06-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Your game sounds similar to mine - you might demo the Slazenger X-1 and the Wilson PS Tour 95.

Honestlybad
06-03-2005, 07:28 AM
You just have to pick a racquet and stick with it. It takes about a month to "grow into" a new racquet. Switching racquets often is not good for your game.

AndrewD
06-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Ash Doyle,

Speaking as another A.D let me say, your experience sounds almost identical to my own over the past 10 months. Tried the POG OS -loved the balance but same problem with serving, just too big for me-, tried the Volkl t10mpGenII - too low powered and flexy- and have been using the Head Prestige mid (prestige pro and lm prestige) - great balance, can generate good power but would like something with just a 'hair' more punch and perhaps just slightly larger in headsize. I also own a Prince Mono and love it for my volleys and slice backhand (never used better for those shots) but in other aspects its a bit limited.

As to weight: using a synthetic grip will lower the weight noticably but make it more head light. I tried the LM Prestige with leather and it immediately felt sluggish. Taken away and weight is good. The POG midplus is only rated as 12.1 ounces so if you take much away it will go into the weight bracket you said you dont like.

Power: if you aren't getting it as easily as you'd like, with the POG midplus at 93sq then perhaps just a slight jump up to 95sq would do the trick. I found the Mono at 97sq was my absolute limit although, strangely, the Volkl at 98sq felt far larger and lacking in control. Otherwise, how are you stringing the pog midplus?

Just a query though: Have you tried the Prince TT Warrior and Head LM Prestige midsize? The Warrior is larger so will offer more power than the pog midplus but not so much its uncontrollable and is known for offering good spin. The Head LM Prestige mid Ive found to have good spin potential despite the 18x20 string pattern and good power. Might work better for you than me as the balance is very nice.

Oh, and have you tried the Diablo mid? All reports are that it is a much improved version of the pog mid with better comfort and more power.