PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to continue play with broken strings?

POGO
06-02-2005, 08:27 AM
I posted this on a different forum and I realized it was the wrong forum so here is the question.

I played a match last night, and during the middle of a rally my string popped. The center cross string popped. While playing with the broken string, I was able to hit some wicked top spins, almost a kick serve where the ball goes to one direction and bounces in another direction. I kept hitting like this until I won the point.

My opponet stated that it was illegal that the momment I popped the string the game must stop and replay the point.

He stated that playing with a broken string is like playing with a racket strung spegetti (sp) stringing because of the unpredictable spin one can hit with.

So what are the rules exactly about this?

Is he right?

TwistServe
06-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Here is my response again.

Hhaah thats a complete joke.. You can play with a broken string if you want, even after the point.

Remember in the olympics, Moya vesus Massu! Massu broke a string on match point and started pushing the ball back. Moya is so nervious he just pushes the ball back too! Then moya moves into the net try to end the point, and Massu hits a sweet passing shot with the broken string!

But you don't really want to play with a broken string because its impossible to control. The spin may be unpredictible and that is a disadvantage for you too.

POGO
06-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Ditto.

I knew it. He was giving me some BS because he was loosing ;) hhaha.

equinox
06-02-2005, 09:07 AM
I posted this on a different forum and I realized it was the wrong forum so here is the question.

I played a match last night, and during the middle of a rally my string popped. The center cross string popped. While playing with the broken string, I was able to hit some wicked top spins, almost a kick serve where the ball goes to one direction and bounces in another direction. I kept hitting like this until I won the point.

My opponet stated that it was illegal that the momment I popped the string the game must stop and replay the game.

He stated that playing with a broken string is like playing with a racket strung spegetti (sp) stringing because of the unpredictable spin one can hit with.

So what are the rules exactly about this?

Is he right?

He's partly right. It's against the rules of tennis to continue playing with a broken string once you become aware of it.

You can finish the point on which you broke the string. He's wrong about replaying previously completed points which were played with your now illegally strung racquet. All points played with your now illegally strung racquet still count.

OTH, he's within his rights to refuse to continue the match until you fix your now illegally strung racquet. If you can't comply with a legally strung racquet. You may have to forfeit the rest of the match.

If this is a national association sanctioned match or league, i'd ask for the umpire etc.. and abide by his ruling.

POGO
06-02-2005, 09:17 AM
I made a mistake. I meant that we must replay the point where my racket broke the string, not the entire game.

Max G.
06-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Basically - you can finish the point with the broken string, that's legal.
You have to get a properly strung racquet for the next point though.