PDA

View Full Version : rule question

gem
06-02-2005, 09:15 AM
I only play casually and am wondering what the ruling is in what I assume is an unusual situation, but one that must occur on a rare occasion. I returned my opponents serve with a high lob with plenty of Back spin. the ball landed in my opponents court but the back spin caused the ball to jump back into my side of the court without my opponent touching it. If I fail to return the ball to my opponents side do I lose the point?

TennsDog
06-02-2005, 09:19 AM
This isn't that unusual. I had this happen a couple weeks ago, but on a low, slow slice shot by my opponent. If it bounces back to your side, your opponent is still responsible for hitting it. If he fails to make contact, it is your point. This is the only situation in which it is legal to reach across the net to make contact with the ball.

FedererUberAlles
06-02-2005, 09:29 AM
You can't touch the net when you reach over, though.

TwistServe
06-02-2005, 09:30 AM
You can always reach across the net but only when the contact is made from your side (so the followthrough can be over the other side). If the ball bounced in your court but then bounced back because of the spin I don't think the opponent is allowed to attempt to touch the ball because that is reaching over!

predrag
06-02-2005, 11:28 AM
You can always reach across the net but only when the contact is made from your side (so the followthrough can be over the other side). If the ball bounced in your court but then bounced back because of the spin I don't think the opponent is allowed to attempt to touch the ball because that is reaching over!

The ONLY time when you are allowed to reach over the net and make a
contact on your opponent's side is the situation described.
When the ball bounces on one's side and backspin (or wind) carries it over
the net to opponent's side, one is ALLOWED to reach and spike the ball,
as long as he does not touch the net or the opponent's court, while the ball
is still in play.

regards, Predrag

TwistServe
06-02-2005, 12:07 PM
When the ball bounces on one's side and backspin (or wind) carries it over
the net to opponent's side, one is ALLOWED to reach and spike the ball,
as long as he does not touch the net or the opponent's court, while the ball
is still in play.

regards, Predrag

WRONG! Read section 24 and 25 of the rules of tennis PDF. You are clearly WRONG! There are other situations where you can reach over the net: http://dps.altdc3.va.twimm.net/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_4198.pdf

Under 24g - Player loses point if - The player hits the ball before it has passed the net

Under 25e - A good return if - The player's racquet passes over the net after hitting the ball on the player's own side of the net and the ball hits the ground in the correct court

Situation one: Ball bounces on your side of the net but because of spin, bounces back.. You're allowed to reach over because it has already passed the net!

Situation two: Ball bounces on your side of the net, you swing and then reach over to the other side such as a long slice. You're covered because you made contact on your side of the net, and the ball has traveled over the net to you.

predrag
06-02-2005, 12:12 PM
WRONG! Read section 24 and 25 of the rules of tennis PDF. You are clearly WRONG! There are other situations where you can reach over the net: http://dps.altdc3.va.twimm.net/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_4198.pdf

Twisty I would suggest that you read my response again:

Key phrase is:
reach over the net and MAKE A CONTACT ON YOUR OPPONENT'S SIDE

Regards, Predrag

TwistServe
06-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Twisty I would suggest that you read my response again:

Key phrase is:
reach over the net and MAKE A CONTACT ON YOUR OPPONENT'S SIDE

Regards, Predrag

If thats what you meant, then I got it WRONG!

ChrisNC
06-02-2005, 12:22 PM
To OP: It's your point if they don't make contact before it bounces the second time.

Clarification of last several posts: Your swing may break the plane of the net (but not touch the net) while swinging, as long as contact is made on your side of the net. The only time you are allowed to reach across the net to make contact is the situation described (still cannot touch the net). There, I think that covers it.

:-)

ChrisNC
06-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Oh, as a side note:

24 f. The player or the racket, whether in the player’s hand or not, or anything
which the player is wearing or carrying touches the net, net
posts/singles sticks, cord or metal cable, strap or band, or the opponent’s
court at any time while the ball is in play; or

combined with

11. BALL IN PLAY (OLD 17)
Unless a fault or a let is called, the ball is in play from the moment the
server hits the ball, and remains in play until the point is decided.

USTA Comment 11.1: Is a point decided when a good shot has
clearly passed a player, or when an apparently bad shot passes over
the baseline or sideline? No. A ball is in play until it bounces twice or
lands outside the court, hits a permanent fixture, or hits a player. A ball
that becomes imbedded in the net is out of play.

Ever hit a dropshot and the opponent, running full tilt, was able to barely flick the ball back over, but then ran into the net? Even if the ball has bounced once on your side and there's no way you'd get to it, it's your point.

papa
06-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Predrag and ChrisNC are absolutely right. Thats why you see the balancing act sometimes at net - player is trying to maintain balance untill the second bounce - longest fraction of a second you'll ever experience.

gem
06-03-2005, 06:11 AM
for the responses.