PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Lenght Question

joe gomes
06-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Can the Length of racquet be increased?

rich s
06-02-2005, 01:00 PM
how much do you want to spend?

anything can be done depending on how much you want to spend.

joe gomes
06-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Lengthing Prince Triple Threat Rebel 27" to 27.25

hummer23
06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
that isnt going to do much. a quarter of an inch isnt really anything that is worth considering paying money over. if you are looking for more leverage, consider a 27.5 inch frame, or adding lead, but .25 inches is not goign to effect the frame except for raising the swingweight a bit.

joe gomes
06-02-2005, 03:41 PM
I thought a longer/ modified butt cap of some sort would be an inexpensive way to go.
I play a lot of doubles and the 27.5 is a bit long at the net.

Speedy_tennis
06-02-2005, 04:07 PM
i extended .5 inch my 2x i prestige mid

Gaines Hillix
06-02-2005, 04:15 PM
It can be increased if it's a sold foam handle. You can use a section of heat shrink sleeve over the butt end of the racquet as a mold. Shrink it in place with a heat gun, but stop before you get to the end. Trim to the desired length. Then screw two lag screws into the butt end of the racquet(actually might be better to do this first). Predrilling a couple of holes of the appropriate size would make this part easier. These should be trimmed as close to the length you want to add as possible(they can be longer on the side that screws into the handle). Then mix a two part epoxy and pack it into the sleeve and around the lag screws. Wait for the epoxy to dry and then cut off the heat shrink sleeve and trim the end to the length and shape you want. You may have to use a hack saw.

joe gomes
06-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Thanks Gaines!
Some one should design a new but cap that can extend the length of a racquet.
He or she would make a fortune.

splink779
06-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Ok, I extended one of my LM Rads in a VERY crude way, but it worked perfectly. Take off the butt cap. Put something inside the butt cap that is .5 in and perfectly flat. I cut up some pieces of a flat wooden ruler. Then, while I was sitting on the couch and looking at a candle burning on the table, and so I thought, pour the hot candle wax into the butt cap to fill any gaps left between the wood and the sides of the butt cap. I filled it so that it was level with the wood. Then I put the butt cap back on the handle. Granted it didn't fit as snugly but enough of the cap overlapped the handle. I secured it to the handle with two small nails and four staples. I put the grip back on and this thing has not budged and it has been perfect. This is the easiest way, but don't try it unless you can afford to mess up one of your racquet's butt caps.

Gaines Hillix
06-03-2005, 05:06 AM
Thanks Gaines!
Some one should design a new but cap that can extend the length of a racquet.
He or she would make a fortune.

Joe, that might very well work for some people, but there might be durability issues for big hitters. Some people hold the racquet way down on the butt end and really crannk on it when they hit the ball. Butt caps are only held on with 4 staples. It's worth experimenting with just using a standard butt cap as the other poster suggested. My suggested method is for something permanent that you want to be sure will hold up.