PDA

View Full Version : Nadal forehand

panatta
06-02-2005, 02:18 PM
A month ago I saw Rafael Nadal on tv. I was very impressed with his forehand and now I'm trying to imitate it. I changed my old eastern grip in a western one and the swing is now similar to that of Rafael, but.. my forehand is now less powerful and slow.
I see that my opponents now find much more difficulties in hitting the ball due to my charge of topspin, but.. what about the speed of the ball?
Nadal (and many other spanish and argentinian players) is able to reach great ball-speed with his forehand although his balls are full of topspin.
Before, with my eastern grip, I was able to play almost 10-15 forehand winners in 2 sets. Now I can hardly play 2 or 3 forehand winners with my new western-Nadal grip, but I would like to insist, because I find this new way of playing tennis very amazing..
Can you please help me to find more power for my f.h.?
Thanx in advance.
Bye!

Jonnyf
06-02-2005, 02:24 PM
remember to drive through dats all i can say

Cobrien
06-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Try a demo of a racquet with a lower swingweight.

Most of the Spanish/Argentinian players use light and nippy racquets.

Jonnyf
06-02-2005, 02:29 PM
not true nadals is about 320 g or 330 i read

Marius_Hancu
06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
logical compromise between speed and spin. you can't have both at the max at the same time.

his is a "reverse FH," a la Grosjean, Sampras, JCap, Sampras.

and some of them executed it with an Eastern grip, thus no need to change grip that much.

panatta
06-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Thank you for your suggests, but.. I already have a light racquet and now I'm thinking to buy a Babolat Aerodrive. Sure there are some technical reasons if I lost ball-speed with my new grip. Probably I'm hitting the ball such as I'm still using an eastern grip. Maybe I have to change something in my swing or follow through or things like that.
Did anyone of you change your grip in a western one? How did you reach power with this grip?

BigbangerNYC
06-02-2005, 06:31 PM
A month ago I saw Rafael Nadal on tv. I was very impressed with his forehand and now I'm trying to imitate it. I changed my old eastern grip in a western one and the swing is now similar to that of Rafael, but.. my forehand is now less powerful and slow.
I see that my opponents now find much more difficulties in hitting the ball due to my charge of topspin, but.. what about the speed of the ball?
Nadal (and many other spanish and argentinian players) is able to reach great ball-speed with his forehand although his balls are full of topspin.
Before, with my eastern grip, I was able to play almost 10-15 forehand winners in 2 sets. Now I can hardly play 2 or 3 forehand winners with my new western-Nadal grip, but I would like to insist, because I find this new way of playing tennis very amazing..
Can you please help me to find more power for my f.h.?
Thanx in advance.
Bye!

THE CHANGE OF GRIP FROM EASTERN TO WESTERN HAS A LOT TO DO WITH THE SPEED OF THE BALL. WITH EASTERN GRIP YOU HIT MORE FLAT BALLS (WHICH HAS MORE VELOCITY) THAN WITH WESTERN GRIP (WHICH CREATES MORE TOPSPIN).

THE TOPSPIN SHOTS ARE INDEED SLOWER IN COMPARISON, BUT DIP MUCH FASTER AND WHEN THE BALL HITS THE COURT, IT BOUNCES HIGHER AND FEEEL MUCH HEAVIER TO RETURN THAN A FLAT BALL (BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!)

I USED TO HIT FLAT TO SEMI-FLAT FOREHANDS, SO I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR DILEMMA IS....

I NOW CAN HIT EXTREMELY HEAVY TOPSPIN SHOTS WITH GREAT VELOCITY BY PUTTING MORE SHOULDER INTO THE SHOT AND ROTATE MY HIP MORE AGRESSIVELY.

panatta
06-03-2005, 02:27 PM
thank you BigbangerNYC. I've just tried to hit with more shoulder and hips.. and the results are encouraging. I'm trying to put also more wrist than I was used to.
Monday I have a final.. hope to play a lot of forehand winners! :-)

BigbangerNYC
06-04-2005, 08:16 AM
thank you BigbangerNYC. I've just tried to hit with more shoulder and hips.. and the results are encouraging. I'm trying to put also more wrist than I was used to.
Monday I have a final.. hope to play a lot of forehand winners! :-)

GREAT!!!! Good luck on your tourney this Monday. If you want to "flick your wrist" make sure don't do too much of it, otherwise you'll be "slapping" instead of "guiding" the ball ,which will greatly effect consistency.

Just make sure that you aim at the coming ball with your opposite shoulder (all pros do this for both backhand and forehand) and then when making contact rotate your hip and upper body and pretend like you hit the ball with the other (hitting) shoulder. By doing this, you will "put your shoulder" more into the ball and make the completion of your swing more fluid.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

panatta
06-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks BigbangerNYC, but I lose 6-3 2-6 5-7. I needed many winners, because my opponent did't take any risk and ran, ran, ran. The drive was quite good, I had problems with my serve (only 2 aces) and athletic condition. Playing the forehand with this new western grip and push the ball with great power involves a very good athletic condition. Infact, after 2 hours of match I started to have difficulties in finding energies to push my forehand.
But I'm quit happy anyway... it was a good match and I played well. From this match I learned that I have to improve my athletic condition. What have I to do to improve it? Run? Lift heavies? Where can I find a good training method for my condition?
Bye!

Jonnyf
06-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Unlucky with your tourny but was it smart to change grip just before a tourney final

papa
06-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Just make sure that you aim at the coming ball with your opposite shoulder (all pros do this for both backhand and forehand) and then when making contact rotate your hip and upper body and pretend like you hit the ball with the other (hitting) shoulder. By doing this, you will "put your shoulder" more into the ball and make the completion of your swing more fluid.

Good post - on the backhand side you have to aim the hitting shoulder at the ball which I'm sure you know. Putting the shoulders and hips into the shot certainly is a necessity.

Marius_Hancu
06-08-2005, 03:37 AM
check this too:

Sharapova's forehand
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=27848

BigbangerNYC
06-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks BigbangerNYC, but I lose 6-3 2-6 5-7. I needed many winners, because my opponent did't take any risk and ran, ran, ran. The drive was quite good, I had problems with my serve (only 2 aces) and athletic condition. Playing the forehand with this new western grip and push the ball with great power involves a very good athletic condition. Infact, after 2 hours of match I started to have difficulties in finding energies to push my forehand.
But I'm quit happy anyway... it was a good match and I played well. From this match I learned that I have to improve my athletic condition. What have I to do to improve it? Run? Lift heavies? Where can I find a good training method for my condition?
Bye!

Well, trading a match for proper hitting techniques that will make you a much better player is a small price to pay in my opinion. From what stated, seems like you played against a pusher/counterpuncher who just put and kept the ball in play, waiting for you to make errors on your own (which you probably did). To win agaisnt pushers and counterpunchers, you have to play the net at each and every oportunity and to keep the ball deep on their side so as to cut down their time to react. Remember that a pusher/counterpuncher's shots are usually with no or very little pace (since they use your own pace to push the ball back), so take advantage of this fact. Another note: No-pace balls are more difficult to hit than you think. Most beginners and intermediates oftern sail long short and no-pace balls. The reason is that they hit without any or with little topspin and/or try to kill the ball for point thinking it is a sitting duck. Don't do this, when facing a short and/or no-pace ball, placement (and thus setup for the next kill-shot), and not power, is critical. Just hit it deep and to his backhand or away from him (to make him reach) and play net.

As for conditioning, these are the must:

(1) run often (1 or even 2 miles a day helps)
(2) skip rope (great for footwork)
(3) run side to side (laterral) and touch the court with your hand when reaching the doubles sidelines (this helps your footwork and bedning your knees)
(4) run forward to the net, touch it, and the run back to the baseline sideway and touch the ground, and repeat. (this helps you to get to the net quick and to "pedal back" for deep lobs.
(5) Shuffle with cross-steps while rotating your torso (this will greatly prepare you for running shots.
(6) any other training to increase your stamina.
(7) drink a lot of water. For every 1 pound you lose in training, you'll need to replace it with 16 ounces of water, that's the proven formula.

IF you want to lift weights, do not lift heavily but lightly with more reps to build muscle endurance.

Remember, you're not training to become a bodybuilder (by the way bulky muscles will prevent you from being flexible and reflexive which are two critical components in tennis). Have you seen any great tennis player with muscles like those of Arnold Schwarzenneger? Of course not.

Good luck and look foraward to hearing form you again.

Andres
06-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Try a demo of a racquet with a lower swingweight.

Most of the Spanish/Argentinian players use light and nippy racquets.

Not me, I'm using a 12.6 oz. racquet (360 g) :P

Jonnyf
06-08-2005, 01:04 PM
it's fine don't listen to Cobrien he has no idea

Return_Ace
06-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Have you seen any great tennis player with muscles like those of Arnold Schwarzenneger? Of course not.

Funny you should say this ........... I was just going to comment on how the size of Nadal's Bicep affects his game, surely a muscle of that size helps in producing power?

panatta
06-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Changing my grip during a tournement was not a logical decision, of course. But I thought that in the final I would have probably met that guy, who had beaten me 2 times in a row in the last 2 years in tournement. I thought I had no much chances to beat him without changing something in my tennis. If I had energies also after the two hours of match, I'm sure I would have won. He had great problems to be regular. He did errors that otherwise he wouldn't have done. My new forehand's spin forced him to errors and he was very frustrated about it.
I decided to change my grip and try to hit a "heavier" forehand. Of course I could also decide to change my tennis and invent me like a serve and volley player, but this would have been a little bit more complicated.. :-)
Now I have time to take confidence with my new grip and my new forehand.. and.. anyway.. I reached as well a final.
Thank you all guys.. I like this forum... :-)

BigbangerNYC
06-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Funny you should say this ........... I was just going to comment on how the size of Nadal's Bicep affects his game, surely a muscle of that size helps in producing power?

Nadal's biceps are firm and look big when flexed. If you look at his biceps in relaxed state they aren't that huge as those of a body builder. Bulky muscles slow you down.

sandro
06-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Coraggio... ;-)

tangies08
06-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Never try to use too much wrist. You really have to rotate and whip with a western. Take balls high and whip through.

panatta
06-12-2005, 03:54 PM
How can I whip without using much the wrist? I thought whipping comes from the use of the wrist...