PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Rackets Especially The i.prestige

Feņa14
04-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Hi,

I am currently a 5.0 - 5.5 player who uses heaps of Topspin and I struggle to find a racket that I can keep the ball in with, I used the POG OS and did OK but the ball still went long. I then went to the i.prestige mid strung with Big Banger original at #62 and can't generate any spin at all which once again fires the balls out. With both rackets I have to take a short swing and just poke it in which just isn't my game. with the i I just slice the ball to keep it in. I have even tried clipping the white tape on the net which still doesn't help me very much. I however love both rackets a lot in all other areas.

So I need your help in choosing me a racket that will help me.

I was thinking of a POG mid as I love the POG OS

Anyother suggestions or ways to help me keep the ball from going long and yes I have have lessons to try and fix it but it hasn't helped yet!!!

Thanks for your help!!!!

Liam

stevewcosta
04-19-2004, 01:43 PM
I would stay away from OS racs., but then again a 5.0 - 5.5 should be able to use any rac. and be consistent. Wish I could play at that level. Try the PS 6.0 85 or POG Mid.

Feņa14
04-19-2004, 01:49 PM
stevewcosta,

I am thinking about the POG mid as I believe the Spin will be good for me to keep the ball in play.

What string and tension would you recommend if this was my new racket?

Cheers,

Liam

spinbalz
04-19-2004, 01:54 PM
You look like a candidate for a Völkl C10 Pro Tour (bruguerra's racquet after his Yonex period).

stevewcosta
04-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Liam,
I don't know much about strings. I've always liked Prince Syn. Gut 16G close to max. tension on every frame I've used. Good luck.

sanitarium
04-19-2004, 02:10 PM
odd for a 5.0 - 5.5 player to be having such problems....

an i.radical will offer more control and spin - try that, or LM if you prefer.

ucd_ace
04-19-2004, 02:44 PM
You're a 5.0-5.5 player and can't find a racquet that you can keep the ball in with? How does that work? You can't be a 5.0-5.5 and not be able to keep the ball in the court. Sounds like it's probably more of a technique thing. Trying to clip the nets? Again, that doesn't sound like a 5.0-5.5 player. Trying to clip the nets with a heavy topspin shot... so it's still going up at that point?... none of this makes sense... this post is flawed...

Flatspin
04-19-2004, 03:31 PM
A 5.0 + player that cannot keep the ball in play! What laughs ...you're killing me .....roflmao!

ProStaffTour90
04-19-2004, 03:40 PM
You would probably be able to get away with any kind of 'players' racquet, e.g, Tour 90 (or 95), Volkl C10 PT, POG Mid, all great racquets for control, little demanding though!

ProStaffTour90
04-19-2004, 03:41 PM
A 5.0 + player that cannot keep the ball in play! What laughs ...you're killing me .....roflmao!

I really don't understand these ratings you guys have, is it the higher number the better or the lower???

sanitarium
04-19-2004, 04:00 PM
FOREHAND: Strong shot with control, depth, and spin; uses FH to set up offensive situations; has developed good touch; consistent on passing shots
BACKHAND: Can use BH as an aggressive shot with good consistency; has good direction and depth on most shots; varies spin
SERVE/RETURN OF SERVE: Serve is placed effectively with the intent of hitting to a weakness or developing an offensive situation; has a variety of serves to rely on; good depth, spin, and placement on most second serves to force weak return or set up next shot; can mix aggressive and off-paced service returns with control, depth, and spin
VOLLEY: Can hit most volleys with depth, pace, and direction; plays difficult volleys with depth; given opportunity, volley is often hit for a winner
SPECIAL SHOTS: Approach shots and passing shots are hit with pace and a high degree of effectiveness; can lob offensively; overhead can be hit from any position; hits mid-court volley with consistency; can mix aggressive and off-paced service returns
PLAYING STYLE: Frequently has an outstanding shot or attribute around which his game is built; can vary game plan according to opponent; this player is 'match wise,' plays percentage tennis, and 'beats himself' less than the 4.5 player; solid teamwork in doubles is evident; game breaks down mentally and physically more often than the 5.5 player

A 5.0 is a very incredible player, capable of making almost every shot consistently and has a couple powerful weapons (big serve, big forehand.) a 5.0 doesn't struggle to keep the ball in the court and isn't searching for a racquet. A 5.0 struggles to take down 6.0 players, who are trained at a national level intensively, not working on topspin... lol

Datacipher
04-19-2004, 05:13 PM
I am a 5.0 player and coach and I have extremely high swing speeds...as a result...some days I also struggle with my ti radical OS, it's just a tiny bit too powerful despite my heavy spin...although general consistency is not a problem...sometimes the ball will go long on shots that I do not properly set up for...and sometimes i dont' hit the short angle T shots as precisely as I would like.... usually if I string below 65lbs. Switching to various player racquet mids has shown promising results over the years. Also I have at times gone as high as 75 lbs with the oversize head.

Nevertheless, there is definitely a technique problem here. You definitely won't (in my experience) generate spin as easily with the prestige as with a POG OS, but you can generate PLENTY with good techique and high swing speed....actually with lots of swing speed and timing you generate tons with anything. On sunday I had fun playing/coaching some 3.5-4.0's hitting with a slightly warped wooden Dunlop. I could still hit the ball so heavy that it was unreturnable by players at that level, and really only slightly less heavy than the radical OS, but you really have to nail it...ha ha

And yes, I think you must be overrating...so common a problem...the 5.0-5.5players I play with are open tournament players, most are either teaching pros, college players, or high ranked sectional juniors and no...they don't try to clip the tape!? They can all hit pretty much all the shots, some just do certain ones better than others particularly under pressure. We can all rip the ball and pretty much make it do whatever we want...other than small refinements most of these guys never think about mechanics, which were long ago mastered....

You say you get tons of topspin...but I think you can get more....ask yourself this..."am I swinging faster than Agassi, Phillipoussis, Gonzales, etc?" I can guarantee you're not.....so the question is "how do they keep it in?"

If you are 5.0-5.5 you must compete and/or practice with other 5.0+ players...what do they do?

ibemadskillzz
04-19-2004, 05:24 PM
you mean you're a negative -5.5 player. I understand. Need new rackets to keep the ball in. I suggest that you start out with Junior 25 inch rackets for ages 5-10. If that doesn't work just keep telling everyone that you're a 5.5 playing in the pro tour.

schaaf
04-19-2004, 05:38 PM
You do not have any room to talk mr. "Nationaly ranked junior who can not return a serve."

Your attitude twards everything but your damn playstation SUCKS.

VTL
04-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Give him a Break! He's from England

Datacipher
04-19-2004, 11:07 PM
You do not have any room to talk mr. "Nationaly ranked junior who can not return a serve."

Your attitude twards everything but your damn playstation SUCKS.

Hmmm... well there's definitely something fishy about a junior who would work hard enough and play well enough to get a national ranking and then declare this nonsense:

"If you use Babolat Pure Drive, it will improve your game. For example a low rank junior in their section can be a top player nationally. It has power and control. I do not use the racket though. That's why roddick and Moya, Kim Clijs., Harker, and alex corre. Are playing at that level. If I used it I would be number one player in the world, But I don't like tweener rackets."

Unless the ranking came in the under 4yrs old division.....

Hawaii 5.0
04-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Well aside from going to opposite ends of the players racquet spectrum just about any players frame sits between them as far as headsize,beam width,flex and string pattern.There are tons of frames that stick out in my mind(Tour 95,RDX 500 mid,RDX 500 MP HD,NXG MP,either Diablo,LM Prestige MP,LMRadical MP,T90,HM 200g).You might like the T90 becuase of the medium string pattern,nice power and all around ease of use for a players frame.You might like the RX 500 Mid,Diablo for it's groundstrokes.I mean the players market is peaking right now with tons of frames to choose from.If you can't find a frame now then you might never.Again as iterated earlier spin is much more a matter of technique than racquet, but some factors that help are weight,flex.There are also some things to consider.Spin is not control and if this overhitting is a consistent thing I might consider taking a major look at your game cuz I'm a solid 5.0 player and I never have sessions like this(maybe a game or so or a few minutes of laziness, but part of being at that level is consistency,the ability to correct yourself, and the control to keep the ball in play,find ways to win outside your norm.If all 5.0+ players played bad consistently then the rating should go up to like an 10-11.0.

BLiND
04-20-2004, 02:52 AM
I too have a very simular problem, but I am only a 3.5 player :-)

I have a Radical OS, and its not great for spin... which is why I am going to switch to a Yonex which has looser string patters. I'm also changing to a smaller head size (98", or 103" I'm not sure), to try and quell that sweetspot POWER from the OS head.

Good luck, but best thing you can do is try other rackets... borrow some from friends, or goto a shop and borrow them.

tarheelbornjohn
04-20-2004, 04:37 AM
I think he should just take more lessons and become a 6.0 player. They don't tend to hit as many long as 5.5 players.

gofederer
04-20-2004, 05:02 AM
i thought i was 4.0+ but i realized i had over-self-rated after reading various posts here and there about the ntrp in the us written by tournament participating amateurs... i now think i might be a 3.0 or even 2.5... overrating seems a common problem for tennislovers outside the us... there seems a huge perception gap on the numbers between these tournament players and pure self-raters, which is understandable because of the tendencies toward opposite directions... liam might be a really very good junior of 5.0+ and talking modestly about himself, but there really is this puzzling usta number thing especially for people outside the us like me and him... despite all that, i still enjoy playing with those "players' racquets best suited for 5.0+ players" like 6.0 85, tour 90, etc... :wink:

Feņa14
04-20-2004, 08:50 AM
I actually play for the County and have a LTA Rating of 3.4 which I have been told by a member of the USTA is about a 5.0 (check out the LTA website to be sure). I am a serve and volley player who has an excellent slice as I have mentioned which I use to finish of every single one of my points. I am trying to generate the consistancy on my groundstrokes so that I can set more chances up at the net, I am trying to mix my length and angle to further my chances at the net but when I don't meet my requirements I often loose the points by being unable to play the way I want. I would say that my groundstokes are probably of a 4.0 or less but I find that not a problem if I can maintain that level and let myself use my weapons that you have talked about and they are my slice, serve and touch at the net. In all of those I would say that I am a 5.0 player.

I think that the ROK or POG mid will help me best.

Liam

IV10Spro
04-20-2004, 09:10 AM
You are probably more than likely a high 4.0 or 4.5 her in America. I know the two systems because I somehow ended up with a UK rating of 1.5 a few years back by playing a few events the Gyro Someting or other tour. that converts to about a 5.5 her in the US.

So, people give the guy a break not knowing how the systems convert.

About the racquet, I hate to tell you it isn't the racquet hitting the ball out. You yourself know the answer and that is to practice the groundies until they catch up with the rest of your game. Stringing the sticks tighter might help. A new racket will only give you confidence that you can now produce a consistent shot when you could do it all along, you just didn't believe you could.

gofederer
04-20-2004, 10:20 AM
the lta (british equivalent of usta) says an old 1.5 (before october 2003) is now a 3.1... liam, there's no 3.4, only 3.1 & 3.2 on old or new ratings... anyway from what iv said, liam seems qualified to call him a 5.0...

IV10Spro
04-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Sorry, I didn't know the systems changes again.

Is this system the one the ITF is trying to get going globaly?

matchpoints
04-20-2004, 11:06 AM
if it's going long, instead of slowing down your swing, have you tried to hit through the ball more? kinda like if you imagine having to hit through 6 balls behind the target ball and now having to hit through all of them.

I have a similar problem as you and refuse to slow down my swing or hold back.

Cheers.

Feņa14
04-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Cheers matchpoints,

That seems like a very good idea. I will practice that and maybe that can help me mix my pace and can keep my oppent guessing to further my chances at the net.

I am usually good when I think about things from that perspective. It appears that this problem is more common than I thought.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for the tip!

Liam

sanitarium
04-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Liam this relates back to intial swing technique, your balls are going long with not enough spin. You don't want to compromise more swing speed... like i'm sure i'm not the only one who would suggest instead of swinging THROUGH the ball try more of a BRUSHING up against the ball from behind, so you swing UP more then OUT and if you have a high swing speed it's impossible to not generate heavy topspin.

my opinion.

@wright
04-20-2004, 02:17 PM
I thought you used "heaps of topspin", that should be enough so you can use any player's racquet to keep the ball in.

spam
04-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Liam in a previous thread you said you were rated at 5.1 by the LTA,now you have miraculously reached 3.4??? -that is an impossible leap in 2 weeks!!!.All that after having no lessons!!!3.4 is a v high standard and would equate to a 5.0 US rating .lta 1point anything is pro -level or 7 US.Which county do you play for and how long have you been playing tennis?Your name should be on the lta ratings lists under your true rating should it not?Also pure serve volley junior county players are almost unheard of.On the new scale you would now be a 7.1.

Feņa14
04-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Well for a start of my name isn't really "Liam Curran", so that could make quite a difference don't you think? :) .

Liam Curran is a boy who died in 2002 of ilness aged 15 he had the ilness since he was 3 and was an extremely good friend of mine, he used to also post on these boards from time to time.

Just so you know.

@wright
04-21-2004, 08:23 AM
But Liam, you posted before about a female player you liked and then commented how bad her name would sound with Curran as a last name, i'm confused.

christo
04-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Come on guys, he's using METRIC ratings.

@wright
04-21-2004, 10:27 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=4157&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=0

DOH! A slipup! If you're going to lie in your posts, remember it!

Datacipher
04-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Reading this guys posts it's pretty obvious he is either

1. a little kid with a bad attitude who is just spouting off

or

2. an adult posing as better than he is and again spouting of

Of course you always get people like this, but you know if you want honest and useful advise about playing better, it helps if you are honest about where you are. Since nobody knows you, what is the shame in saying for example, I'm a 2.0 and I haven't figured out how to get a serve in the box yet....

As for the story of the little boy who died, that is a very sad story, but you know if he actually posted here, don't you think that maybe you shouldn't continue to post under the same name? It's confusing to others and somewhat presumptuous with respect to your friend. I might suggest the name "in memory of LC" or something to that effect?

Feņa14
04-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Datacipher,

I think that I will change my name to words of that effect, Liam loved these boards and he did use the name Liam Curran and always read the boards, he didn't post that often. I continue to think about him every day, "in memory of LC" will sum up the way I feel.

Thanks for the advice,

Adrian

stevewcosta
04-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Dude,
This whole situation is wiggity wacked! I'm Rick James B-tch! YEEEAAYYYAAHHH, What!?

@wright
04-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Hold my drink, *****, I'm Rick James!

stevewcosta
04-21-2004, 01:04 PM
L'il John is giving out free pints of Samuel Jacksons!!! I'm a 6.0 crack head.

ProStaffTour90
04-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Datacipher,

I think that I will change my name to words of that effect, Liam loved these boards and he did use the name Liam Curran and always read the boards, he didn't post that often. I continue to think about him every day, "in memory of LC" will sum up the way I feel.

Thanks for the advice,

Adrian

But how dya explain the thread where you were on about Coria's wife, you even signed it off Liam!

Datacipher
04-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Datacipher,

Thanks for the advice,

Adrian

fair enough, your welcome and I am sorry to hear of your loss...

K!ck5w3rvE
01-24-2005, 12:55 AM
You use "heaps of topspin" and "finish off nearly every point with your slice"......I'm getting contrasting vibes here...

hummer23
01-24-2005, 09:24 AM
still with the i prestige mid, but dont use that big banger string, its very powerful. laso switch to a poly in 17 gauge for more bite. taht should give you more spin and you can keep the ball in play. before you guy anything else, try that combo. some cheaper poly 17 at 62ish.

Serve-And-Volley
01-24-2005, 04:33 PM
I would go with something like the Slazenger Pro X1 or the Volkl Catapult 10. I have demoed the Slazenger and own the Catapult 10 and I can apply a lot of topspin especially with the Catapult 10. I also think the POG mid would be ok but first give the Catapult 10 a demo.