PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Tennis Rules

Bench43
06-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Just wondering about the break down of Games, sets, and matches.

this is how Ive been playing with my friends:

-best 2/3 games wins the set
-7 sets in a match
-first to 4 wins the match

this is probably totally wrong. Im sure there are different breakdowns with where and what level you play at.

(by the way I have no doubts about how the GAME is played)

Grimjack
06-02-2005, 04:52 PM
-7 sets in a match

I'm genuinely curious...first to four what?

First to four points (must win by two) wins the game.
First to six games (win by two, unless you want to use a tie-breaker (don't ask)) wins the set.
Matches are decided by playing best 2 of 3 or best 3 of 5 sets.

The match is the whole shebang, unless you're playing a tournament. I'll leave you to figure that bit out for yourself.

MegacedU
06-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Don't worry. You'll get this okay?

-First to 6 games wins the set (Must win by two. Play a 7 point tiebreak)
-Best of 3 OR best of 5 sets in a match. (Usually 3)

(First to 4 WHAT)

Grimjack
06-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Oh, NM about four what. I just now saw that you were just using two lines to say best 4 of seven. Cool.

Bench43
06-02-2005, 05:01 PM
cool ok

i totally got the game itself... love, 15, 30, 40, game...duece, ad... all that stuff.

ive just been playing best 2 out of 3 games wins the set and... well you got the rest.

so why are there 7 slots on the scoreboard on my tennis court. I assume now that you explain it that it is for the games in a set... ive been using it to count sets in a match.

Duh!

Grimjack
06-02-2005, 05:46 PM
so why are there 7 slots on the scoreboard on my tennis court. I assume now that you explain it that it is for the games in a set... ive been using it to count sets in a match.

Duh!

Could also be that they just repainted a used little league baseball scoreboard. LL games are traditionally 7 innings.

MegacedU
06-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Prosets are 8 games and only one of them is played in some leagues. I'm assuming you have slots for 1-7 and then a slot that says 'set' aka the eighth game.

Thereallovebone
06-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Just wondering about the break down of Games, sets, and matches.

this is how Ive been playing with my friends:

-7 sets in a match

this is probably totally wrong. Im sure there are different breakdowns with where and what level you play at.

(by the way I have no doubts about how the GAME is played)

Just curious, have you ever seen a match on TV?