PDA

View Full Version : Going to Nationals what are you takes?

monkeyisland90
10-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Ok, My second year at usta and our 3.5 team is going to nationals in october. I initially thought this was huge because the word "nationals" implies that you made it pretty far and seeing other sports mentioning nationals seems like a big thing. But more I've been thinking about I realize it is a good experience and will improve your game as well but doesn't seem like you are this special player who is considered good. I say this because I play in this local league all year around and I see that these local players who don't even play in usta win all the players that go to nationals.. and my initial thought was that they probally will play differently if put under the spot or win for the team etc... but I don't think that's the case.. Kind of reminds me of when you see local basketball players in brooklyn who never will get a chance at nba but they got tons of talent just probally no finances or direction... I saw this guy who was a 4.o player who went to nationals and had great record in usta but the local record was just mediocre... So with that said and done I think i'll just try to have fun cause tucson doesn't seem to have anything fun except hot weather..

Jimmyt
10-02-2010, 02:40 AM
hi , enjoy yourself at nationals you get a chance to be part of something that is pretty nice , i went a couple times at 5.0 a few yrs ago as the singles player for a couple of teams representing florida, the team support/practice sessions before/during the event is great. you get to meet a lot of nice folks from around the country .. my experience was great both times i went,,, good luck

innoVAShaun
10-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Good luck man... Some of my 4.0 team from last year are playing 4.5 there also. Representing Mid-Lant.

burosky
10-07-2010, 02:37 PM
It all depends on how you look at it. Think about the journey to get there. Everyone who plays USTA leagues would know this already but for those that don't, your team has to win your local league first. Your team then represents your local league at districts. If you win districts, your team will then represent your district at sectionals. If you win sectionals, your team will then represent your whole section at nationals. If you win nationals, that means your team is the number 1 team among all the 17 USTA Sections.

In the grand scheme of things that may not be a big deal but nonetheless it is a huge achievement. Even being able to represent your section is a big achievement in itself.

sphinx780
10-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Loved hitting up mixed nationals in Hawaii...once another good destination spot comes up...it's fun to go. You meet some fun people when going, get to play some good tennis and the team atmosphere is cool too. Throw in some cocktails and it's a fun vacation. For some, it's not as much fun, to each their own.