PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Machine Expertise Needed!

the-last-samurai
10-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Hello friends,

I am in need of a stringer since my old klippermate has finally died (rest her soul) and I humbly ask for your guidance as to the best options for a stringing machine that would fit into a budget of ~$700. It would also be great if you guys could provide the best places to purchase these machines! Thanks in advance.:grin:

Kevo
10-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Depends on what's important to you, but I really like my Stringway machine. It's right in line with your budget, and it's built very well. The only real complaint I have with mine is that they build them with sharp corners on the single action clamps. I think the older design did not have the sharp edges. I have stuck myself a couple of times.

If you go with the double action clamps, then it shouldn't be an issue.

tennisace23
10-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Hello friends,

I am in need of a stringer since my old klippermate has finally died (rest her soul) and I humbly ask for your guidance as to the best options for a stringing machine that would fit into a budget of ~$700. It would also be great if you guys could provide the best places to purchase these machines! Thanks in advance.:grin:

I'm in a similar situation but my klippermate is still working, I'm just frustrated with how long it takes. My budget is about the same as yours, but I have not yet decided between a top of the line drop weight (linear clutch and 6 point fixed clamps, such as pioneer dc plus) or a crank, such as the revo 4000 or gamma equivalent. I definitely want to be able to speed up compared to my klippermate, which I suppose the clutch will allow for, I'm just weighing pros and cons. I know a crank will be faster, but more maintenance, more moving parts, and therefore more things that can go wrong in the long run. My decision making continues. Alpha is out of the dc plus right now anyway.

Parker512
10-02-2010, 06:44 AM
do you want crank or dropweight or electronic?

Larrysümmers
10-02-2010, 07:28 AM
how did she die? or did you take her to the stringing vet for an excuse to get a newer model ;)

the-last-samurai
10-02-2010, 08:20 AM
it would be nice to change to electronic for a change since I'm lazy = P Crank is ok too. The alpha revo 4000 and the gamma x-st are definitely in consideration and I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some models to scrutinize. I also would like to know about anyone's experience with electronic stringers in this budget range. Thanks everybody!

In response to how my klippermate died, the clamps weren't cutting it anymore and the base had started to break off (after +15 years of good memories + the deepest loyalty a man can experience). So I had to put her down (rest in peace):cry:

Parker512
10-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Here sp tennis is know as good customer service http://www.sptennis.com/stringer.asp#Jive. This one has great reviews her on TT but eagnas has bad customer service http://www.eagnas.com/com910.html. My personal favirate from eagnas its $200 over budget but here http://www.eagnas.com/smart600.html. Heres one thats only $60 over budget http://www.eagnas.com/com3800.html. The last ones a little edgy.

tennisace23
10-02-2010, 08:36 AM
it would be nice to change to electronic for a change since I'm lazy = P Crank is ok too. The alpha revo 4000 and the gamma x-st are definitely in consideration and I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some models to scrutinize. I also would like to know about anyone's experience with electronic stringers in this budget range. Thanks everybody!:

I'm definitely not an expert, but just in my opinion, you're not going to get a true electric constant pull for $700 or less. I think the cheapest one that is constant pull (although I saw some people say that even this one isn't "truly" constant pull) is the gamma progession II els for $1079. I believe that pretty much anything cheaper than that is electronic lockout (basically same as crank, except it's pulled electronically).

I'm also looking at the revo 4000 and the gamma progression ST II (basically identical to x-st except for base). One thing that I've read is that the new brake on the gamma, is much more reliable than the screw-type brake on the revo.

aussie
10-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Just as a matter of interest, if you are the original owner Klipper have a lifetime warranty on the K'mate and its accessories. This would cover the clamps and the machine itself and even though you still may want to get a new machine, Klipper may well replace the machine and clamps which you can then easily offload to recover some of your outlay on the new machine. Worth an email to Klipper - Dave there is very helpful.

jgrushing
10-03-2010, 05:57 AM
I'm in a similar situation but my klippermate is still working, I'm just frustrated with how long it takes. My budget is about the same as yours, but I have not yet decided between a top of the line drop weight (linear clutch and 6 point fixed clamps, such as pioneer dc plus) or a crank, such as the revo 4000 or gamma equivalent. I definitely want to be able to speed up compared to my klippermate, which I suppose the clutch will allow for, I'm just weighing pros and cons. I know a crank will be faster, but more maintenance, more moving parts, and therefore more things that can go wrong in the long run. My decision making continues. Alpha is out of the dc plus right now anyway.

If your aim is speed, I don't really understand how a drop weight linear clutch could lead to greater speed. IMO, fixed clamps aren't faster. They actually get in the way to me.

I've strung on different stringers, from my home Klippermate to Prince Neos and other crank machines. Once again, IMO speed comes from weaving technique and not much else. My Klippermate doesn't do anything slowly by its nature. It's all my technique. I can string the easiest racquets in about 22 minutes. But that limit is not because of the machine, it's because I'm no faster than that.

If you want pure speed, I guess I'd go spring and brake. Dropweight clutches are easy but slower than an experienced stringer on a Klippermate cam style gripper to me.

I've been through your thought process several times over 20 years. After testing machines and letting the buying frenzy die down, I've always found that I just wanted a sexier machine.

I'd be interested to hear what happened to the Klipper. Mine's 20 years old and good as new.

TNIipc2731500
10-03-2010, 08:00 AM
I have the perfect solution, go to mutualpower.net and buy one of the crank machines, not electronic crank machines. It worked great for me for 3 years and still does. It should be $660 with shipping and handling. After the three years I upgraded by buying the head wise tensioner on tenniswarehouse as a add on and it turned my machine into a high quality electronic stringing machine.

stringwalla
10-03-2010, 08:04 AM
I used a crank for many years before we moved into the electronic age about 13 yrs ago. I think for "stretchy" strings, the crank tends to lock out before the string has fully stretched and you have considerable relaxation following the clamping (tension loss).

For the budget minded home stringer, I would recommend the best drop-weight machine available (quality clamps are key) for the constant pull results. I guess a stand would be nice as well.

I know the crank machines look more professional vs drop-weights, but as I stated above, have an undeniable drawback.

Sorry I'm not familiar with brands quality and options

Ash_Smith
10-03-2010, 08:13 AM
The Tyger machines are the best value vs quality machines out there at the moment, the StringProfi-630 is in your price range and is an excellent machine for the money. A guy brought one to a stringing course I was running last weekend and i got to have a little play, for the money it's excellent, with good clamps and bases, a foot pedal and all the tools etc. I was very impressed.

Ash

tennisace23
10-03-2010, 10:57 AM
If your aim is speed, I don't really understand how a drop weight linear clutch could lead to greater speed. IMO, fixed clamps aren't faster. They actually get in the way to me.

Well for me, I pretty much always use a different string every time I string, so the issue is that if I don't guess the right amount of slack, I need to life the drop weight and do it again. That time it takes adds up and is tedious. I don't have experience with any other machine, but it seems like a drop weight with a clutch would help save me some time with that issue. I haven't decided on a machine yet. I definitely want fixed clamps an 6 pt, but haven't decided on the tension is set. The reality is that I primarily string for myself, so it's not like I'm going to get my money back quickly or anything, it would just be nice to string on a better machine.