PDA

View Full Version : My Forehand is always landing short!!

dbcontrol
06-02-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm presently having difficulty achieving consistent depth on my forehand. It always seems to land around the edge of the service box. It may have something to do with my swing, because i tend to not get low enough with the racquet and go straight thru the ball, even though i finish over my shoulder. I also use an extreme western grip, so perhaps that has some bearing. Any suggestions appreciated

Honestlybad
06-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Take a bigger swing, i.e. extend your racquet back further.

dbcontrol
06-02-2005, 06:08 PM
I do have quite a big swing: i take the racquet high but then never seem to get to the bottom of the swing. I've seen videos of my forehand and it doesnt look rite. Any tips on how i can make it more conventional, lo to hi?

Honestlybad
06-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Force your wrist down right after your wind up.

RafaN RichardG
06-02-2005, 06:15 PM
the most important thing with a wester grip is to make sure you hit the ball in fron of your body! even further in front than an eastern or semi western grip. and because of the grip you have to accelerate through the ball as much as possible to get more depth because most of the balls action is from the "brushing" of the strings on the ball, so it takes away power. also you have to have a big "low-to-high" swing. kepp hittin hard and good luck.

ps. bending your knees, getting low, and pushing from the legs helps a bunch.

RafaN RichardG
06-02-2005, 06:16 PM
oh yeah one more thing- keep your form consistent. sometimes kicking the bad habit is hard, but its worth it.- taking your racquet back further cold help, as someone said before, however do it quickly, otherwise it cuts away precious time.

Honestlybad
06-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Right, a good way to adjust to hitting far in front is to try to hit it an arm's length in front of your body.

dbcontrol
06-02-2005, 06:18 PM
I also tend to be a bit rigid on my forehand, i've been trying to get looser. Could that help?

RafaN RichardG
06-02-2005, 06:20 PM
yes, be very fluent, haha youll never see a pro thats stiff. (look at federer)

Honestlybad
06-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Loosen up your grip.

BigbangerNYC
06-02-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm presently having difficulty achieving consistent depth on my forehand. It always seems to land around the edge of the service box. It may have something to do with my swing, because i tend to not get low enough with the racquet and go straight thru the ball, even though i finish over my shoulder. I also use an extreme western grip, so perhaps that has some bearing. Any suggestions appreciated

YOUR PROBLEM IS COMMON WITH BEGINNERS AND INTERMEDIATE PLAYERS. THE PROBLEM AND/OR CURE DOES NOT LIE WITH HAVING A BIGGER SWING. BALL LANDING SHORTER THAN INTENDED IS CAUSED BY NOT HITTING THROUGH THE BALL ENOUGH AND NOT HITTING THROUGH THE BALL IS A PROBLEM WITH NOT TRANFERRING THE WEIGHT TO THE FORE FOOT PROPERLY DURING AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER CONTACT.

NEXT TIME TRY THIS: HIT YOUR SHOTS WITH YOUR USUAL GRIP AND BRUSH UP THE BALL (TO GENERATE TOPSPIN) BUT ALSO PRETEND LIKE YOU ALSO PUSH THE BALL TOWARDS THE NET. bY DOING THIS, YOU WILL NOTICE THAT THE WEIGHT TRANFER WILL BE AUTOMATIC AND THE BALL WILL GO DEEPER.

GOOD LUCK!

POGO
06-02-2005, 06:29 PM
YOUR PROBLEM IS COMMON WITH BEGINNERS AND INTERMEDIATE PLAYERS. THE PROBLEM AND/OR CURE DOES NOT LIE WITH HAVING A BIGGER SWING. BALL LANDING SHORTER THAN INTENDED IS CAUSED BY NOT HITTING THROUGH THE BALL ENOUGH AND NOT HITTING THROUGH THE BALL IS A PROBLEM WITH NOT TRANFERRING THE WEIGHT TO THE FORE FOOT PROPERLY DURING AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER CONTACT.

NEXT TIME TRY THIS: HIT YOUR SHOTS WITH YOUR USUAL GRIP AND BRUSH UP THE BALL (TO GENERATE TOPSPIN) BUT ALSO PRETEND LIKE YOU ALSO PUSH THE BALL TOWARDS THE NET. bY DOING THIS, YOU WILL NOTICE THAT THE WEIGHT TRANFER WILL BE AUTOMATIC AND THE BALL WILL GO DEEPER.

GOOD LUCK!IN OTHER WORDS, FLATTEN YOUR SHOTS A LITTLE FOR MORE DEPTH:)... Ouch I think my ears are ringing now ;)

BigbangerNYC
06-02-2005, 06:46 PM
IN OTHER WORDS, FLATTEN YOUR SHOTS A LITTLE FOR MORE DEPTH:)... Ouch I think my ears are ringing now ;)

NO ... YOU DON'T NEED TO FLATTEN IT OUT FOR MORE DEPTH SO LONG AS YOU YOU HAVE PROPER WEIGHT TRANSFER AND HIP ROTATION. IF YOU NOTICE, PROS HIT HARD HEAVY TOPSPIN FORHANDS WITH EXTREME WESTERN GRIP AND THEY CAN DO THIS BECAUSE OF THE THINGS I MENTIONED EARLIER.

dbcontrol
06-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys, i'll give it a go

twocents
06-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Aim 6 to 7 feet over the net.

jimiforpres
06-03-2005, 02:06 PM
I used to have that problem to. All you need to do is hit more outward. Also it helps to use your legs to lift the ball.