PDA

View Full Version : Any Last Minute Advice?

Honestlybad
06-02-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm playing in my first futures tournament on Saturday. Any last minute advice?

moosryan
06-02-2005, 07:19 PM
ok just hit the f'ing ball. play YOUR game. play like you practice. i didn't do any of this stuff in my first futures. i got really nevervous and got bageled

Mahboob Khan
06-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Always practice before your match (the amount of time you practice will be factored how early or late the match is).

In the warm up and in the first 2/3 games try to gather cues about your opponent such as his favorite shot, his weaker shot, his tactics, his first serve, his second serve; his movement; how he handles your shots deep down the middle; how he responds to wider shots; does he like angles? how he plays the 30-all point, the deuce point, how he responds to 3 all games, 4 all games? Some players show vulnerability at certain stages of the match; find those stages and capitalize on them.

If you are playing against someone who has a huge serve, try to hold your own, and take the set to a tiebreaker. Normally huge hitters make stupid mistakes in tiebreakers! You should be a smart player knowing, "who is doing what to whom?"

After the match, scout your next opponent. Pick up cues about his game plan, his playing patterns, etc. Let's say his second serve is a weaker shot; and he loves to hit his forehands inside out. After you have picked up these cues, organize a practice session for yourself working on:

-- ask someone to second serve you. You cream the return down the line! On a second serve, down the line return from both deuce and ad, is an effective tactical ploy.

-- ask someone to blast insideout forehands (to your backhand assuming you are right-handed); you return BH down the line.

If possible, always practice before and after your matches! This was the strategy I followed with my dauther, Sarah Mahboob, and she turned out to be the youngest National clay court and hard court ladies champion in our tennis history. She is only 14.

Andres
06-03-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm playing in my first futures tournament on Saturday. Any last minute advice?

Yes. Enjoy! :)
That's all you need. You gotta came out, play YOUR game, and have fun!!

Jonnyf
06-03-2005, 11:54 AM
good luck in the future i'm rootin 4 u

FREDDY
06-03-2005, 02:23 PM
good luck. my first tournament is coming up. hopefully i dont choke up. naw nvm i wont. lol. i AM READY. you should be too. expected the expected i always say. expecting to lose then you prolly will... so dont. just have fun.