PDA

View Full Version : LaserFibre ML200 TT Info

Lakers4Life
10-02-2010, 09:00 PM
A friend of mine recently purchased a used LF ML200 TT. He had me take a look at it and I have some question regarding using the drop weight. We checked the tension and it was off by 5 lbs and the lever arm was not level. Does the drop weight arm have to be level like other drop weight machine?

Technatic
10-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi Lakers4life

Wat is the difference when the lever is horizontal?
The tension should be independent of the angle of the lever because this is an automatic CP dropweight.
It is very difficult for such a dropweight to be 5 lbs off.

mad dog1
10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
yeah, on the laserfibre, due to the dual pivot design, the lever arm does not have to be level. it pulls to the reference tension throughout the range of motion. not sure why it's 5 lbs off. sounds really strange as the drop weight should be accurate.

LMW
10-03-2010, 05:53 AM
I own a LF machine. The scenario that was described is impossible, unless, the mechanism is damaged, the weight was not set properly, or gravity works differently at this location.

Love50
10-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Are you using something like a tension calibrator? Sometimes those have to be calibrated too...

Lakers4Life
10-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Those not familiar with a LF ML200 TT, it does not have marks on the tension arm like other brands. It comes with a yard stick like guage. We set it to both the ends of the weight, at the bottom end it read ~59 lbs at a set reference tension of 55lbs. On the top end it reads ~53 lbs. Both times the tension arm was well above horizonal level. During stringing the tension arm would be at different levels.

I used a digital scale that I checked with my Wise 2086 Pro and pre-determined weights, so I know it's accurate.

tball
10-08-2010, 06:22 PM
For tennis, 2 weights are used on LaserFibre: the thin and the thick. Are you using both?

Love50
10-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Like tball said, there should be two weights attached together. When you set the reference tension that you want, you are supposed to line up the measurement on the "yard stick" with the base of the weights.

Given the above, are you saying that you set the reference tension to 55 lbs and your measuring device said it was 59 lbs? If that's the case, I don't have an answer for you.

The arm doesn't have to be level but it shouldn't be extremely angled either. Something like a 30 degree range would be ok.

Lakers4Life
10-09-2010, 08:43 AM
For tennis, 2 weights are used on LaserFibre: the thin and the thick. Are you using both?

Yes, Both weights were used.

Like tball said, there should be two weights attached together. When you set the reference tension that you want, you are supposed to line up the measurement on the "yard stick" with the base of the weights.

Given the above, are you saying that you set the reference tension to 55 lbs and your measuring device said it was 59 lbs? If that's the case, I don't have an answer for you.

The arm doesn't have to be level but it shouldn't be extremely angled either. Something like a 30 degree range would be ok.

I have two digital scales, both are accurate. I just wanted to verify the tension arm does not have to be level like other drop weight machines. This my first time using a LF ML200TT, so I wanted to be sure. On other DW machines I've used I set the weight to the mark on the bar and it's pretty close to refference tension.

I'm still not sure why it's off by so much. Though the "yard stick" is for a Stringway machine, but I'm told it's the same as a LF "stick". For now we marked to tension rod since my friend usually uses 55 lbs.

Charles Borchers
10-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I think the machine is fine. The problem is that you should only use the large weight for your ref tension of 55 lbs. If you use both weights you'll be off about 5-6 lbs. Placing the yardstick graduated number at the bottom of the weight is correct.If you look at the yardstick you'll see pictures of the small, large, and combined weights to the left of the 12-23, 20-68, and 66-80 markings. So if you only use the large weight and line up the bottom with 55 you should pull 55 lbs.

Cheers,
Charlie B

Love50
10-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I think the machine is fine. The problem is that you should only use the large weight for your ref tension of 55 lbs. If you use both weights you'll be off about 5-6 lbs. Placing the yardstick graduated number at the bottom of the weight is correct.If you look at the yardstick you'll see pictures of the small, large, and combined weights to the left of the 12-23, 20-68, and 66-80 markings. So if you only use the large weight and line up the bottom with 55 you should pull 55 lbs.

This is not correct. From the manual:

B1 Adjusting the tension.
* The tension can be adjusted between 4.5 and 37 kg or 10 to 81 lbs in 3 steps:
- Small weight: 4.5 to 10 kg. or 10 to 22 lbs.
- Large + small weight: 10 - 31 kg or 22 to 68 lbs.
- Large + small weight + extra small weight: 31 - 37 kg or 68 to 81 lbs.

Charles Borchers
10-09-2010, 05:31 PM
My machine is the MS200TT and only uses one small weight. If the ML200TT uses two small weights, then my information is indeed wrong and I apologize.

Charles Borchers
10-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Let me try to clarify my thinking on the stringway weights. I have always thought of the "large+small" weight as one large weight since you can only use the large half when it is screwed to the small one.When I bought my machine ten years ago I also got the "extra small " weight which I always wrongly thought of as my only small weight.So in my unique way of describing the weights when I say "large+small" I am describing the large+small+extra small combination.Confused yet? Using all three weights and lining the bottom of them up to the 55 lb mark on the ruler I get 60 lbs. Lining them up at the top I get 54 lbs. These readings are similiar to the readings obtained by the OP. Reading back through the prior posts, I don't think that the OP was using three weights, so my readings are useless.

Love50
10-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Your explanation about the weights you have makes perfect sense. My machine only came with the large + small (it's a few years old so perhaps they tweaked the package - you get less for more!).

Based on the wording in the manual, I would guess that if you have all three weights attached, 55 lbs is not a valid reference tension. In other words, the markings on the "yard stick" are only valid from 68-81 lbs.

Doesn't explain the OP's observations though :-)

TennisCJC
10-11-2010, 10:54 AM
I have LF too. Use the big+1 small weight and measure from the tension device pivot rod to the bottom of the weight to set the desired tension. Agree, it should only be 5 lbs off if you are using an extra small weight to go up into the 68 to 81 range. If you have a big chunk + 2 little chunks in your weight take off 1 of the little chunks and it should be good to go. If you don't have 2 little chunks, I don't have a clue - back to your calibration is off or remote possibility that tension arm has been worn thru years of use which is unlikely. LF/Stringway are built like rocks and you shouldn't see any degradation of quaility for about 10 years unless you are string rackets at a commercial rate - say 150+ rackets per year.