PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Rope

KingBugsy
04-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Does anyone jump rope to help with their tennis conditioning? Has it helped your footwork and or stamina? Would anyone consider it preferable to running or jogging?

ncchetty
04-19-2004, 03:48 PM
For sure, jumping rope is better than jogging. Various parts of your body is being worked upon.

I read somewhere that hopping with the rope is even better.

orange223
04-22-2004, 10:12 AM
I bikeride, rollerblade, and do a toning workout for my tennis conditioning. When I do jump rope, I have a small clock with a 2nd hand where I can see it. I step through the rope for 30 seconds, then jump rope normally for 30 seconds, alternating for 8-12 minutes. Killer workout for me and helps my court stamina.

brtennis
04-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Check out tennis.com working out with Mary Joe Fernandez:

http://www.tennis.com/workouts/default.sps?iType=1498&icustompageid=2871

I have incorporate it in my 10 min. warm-up routine. It works for me.

Tiff7
04-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Jumprope at least 3x a week and you will see it will greatly improve your game - it's known as a "heart healthy" exercise. My friends and I meet at least twice a week before playing (different courts across Long Isalnd,NY) and we jumprope for like half an hour. My friends claim they are getting much faster!

andfor
04-25-2004, 08:00 PM
I jump rope a lot. I'll pyramid from 100, 200, 300 400, 500 back down to 100. I take about 20 seconds to 1 min. rest in between sets. I do this about 3-4 times a week and it takes about 25 - 30 min.'s for the workout. That may sound like a lot but take it slow at first and work up to it. It is better than jogging for me, I have tendonitis in my right knee and jumping rope does not bother it, jogging however does. If possible try to find a semi-soft or cushioned surface to jump on. A mat, wooden deck, piece of ply wood etc. reduces impact. I would also suggest mixing in some aerobic exercise such as stationary biking, walking or jogging as much as you can. That is if jogging does not bother you. e.g. 3-4 times a week anaerobic (Jumping, line touch drills etc.) and 2-3 times a week aerobic (biking, walking, jogging etc) or visa versa.

Whatever you decide to do, do something on a regular basis to supplement your fitness. Many tennis players are in notoriously poor condition and can be beat by an opponent in better shape. Especially in the upcoming HEAT of the summer months. Prime tennis playing time!

PHSTennis
04-29-2004, 07:34 PM
My coach told me to get a jump rope I play 2 singles my barricades are crap in about 2 months... Im going to do Cross Country next to condition.. all 3 of my coaches say jump roping will help my game.. just got some off ****. :)

joe sch
05-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Using a weighted jump rope also help give your shoulder a great workout. Skipping, jumping, sideward skipping, alternating leg forwards (almost like short kicks) are all great to add to your jumprope workouts. Double jumps and hand crossovers are some of the more advanced routines. I personally prefer leather ropes and weighted handles.