PDA

View Full Version : NorCal league survey results

OrangePower
10-05-2010, 07:24 AM
NorCal created a survey to solicit feedback on some USTA league issues. Results are out and can be seen here:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=QZZABCQ7m6pF8QKvgQMjbF2EUE9d3kDVsvAfX9Z gdqI_3d

Some of the interesting parts:

1. Majority like the competitive aspects of league and would rather have a playoff than just crown the winner of each local area regular season - see questions 4 and 10.

2. Majority have no problem playing weaker competition - see question 6.

3. Majority thinks self-rating irregularities are common, and a significant amount think it is routinely abused - see question 7.

Me personally, I find it amusing that the majority is ok playing weaker players but is so concerned about the possibility of playing a stronger self-rated player. I think people are too focused on winning playoffs versus improving and enjoying the game. But that's just me and clearly the majority opinion is not with me.

dudeman01
10-05-2010, 09:13 AM
I can see why some people don't mind playing weaker competition because a lot of first-year bump-up's are getting creamed by average, mediocre but experienced guys at their rating.

beststringer
10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
NorCal created a survey to solicit feedback on some USTA league issues. Results are out and can be seen here:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=QZZABCQ7m6pF8QKvgQMjbF2EUE9d3kDVsvAfX9Z gdqI_3d

Some of the interesting parts:

1. Majority like the competitive aspects of league and would rather have a playoff than just crown the winner of each local area regular season - see questions 4 and 10.

2. Majority have no problem playing weaker competition - see question 6.

3. Majority thinks self-rating irregularities are common, and a significant amount think it is routinely abused - see question 7.

Me personally, I find it amusing that the majority is ok playing weaker players but is so concerned about the possibility of playing a stronger self-rated player. I think people are too focused on winning playoffs versus improving and enjoying the game. But that's just me and clearly the majority opinion is not with me.

2. Even the last ranked teams have semi good players so it's not like the whole team sucks all the time.

3. self-rating is abused. it's a lot more apparent in combos where you have 3 matches instead of 5.