PDA

View Full Version : String Tips To Not Breaking Strings

mr33
10-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Hi All

I am using Yonex RDS001 (Hewitts old one) and due to the square/rectangle head I constantly break strings whenever I shank in the square part. I am getting better at hitting more central, but none the less it is still very expensive :s I also am using a 16 Gauge Big Ace, which is nice and last 2-3 weeks. I also am looking at buying a re-stringer and using Big Banger Original 15 Gauge. Does anyone else have any tips that will reduce the amount of strings I break? It can be anything as long as it helps me not break strings.

Cheers ;)

Irvin
10-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Switch strings. Many poly strings are prone to breaking in that manner some more than others. You may also want to try Kevlar.

Irvin

dgdawg
10-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Switch strings. Many poly strings are prone to breaking in that manner some more than others. You may also want to try Kevlar.

Irvin

Irvin is correct in that, poly's are more brittle and more pron to breakage @ the hoop. The energy from the ball doesn't get dispersed throughout the string bed.
Try tubing the problematic grommets. That should help.

drakulie
10-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Hate to sound rude here, but stop shanking.

Another thing you could do to minimize the effect shanking has on the string is to tube it. (although this wouldn't be very advisable)

(edit, ddawg already advised tubing it)

carry on.......

Radicalized
10-06-2010, 07:31 AM
My brother does something similar all of the time. When practicing, he'll often go for wild shots trying to give the ball crazy spin. It amuses him I guess. It usually sounds like a bomb going off because of the contact on only a few strings at extreme angles to the stringbed--outside of the sweetspot. That is the best I can describe it quickly. Sometimes the strings break if he hits in that area, sometimes not. Maybe you can add some string savers. But if you're contacting strings in a similar manner, the only obvious thing to do is keep your eye on the ball and approach the ball more directly. I restrung half-a-dozen racquets in the first 6 weeks of tennis this season just because of his fascination with "trick" shots. This is with polys, regular synthetics, multis--you name it. He did it with an USRSA (at least once #2) top durability string. Anything will go when you apply that much "shearing" force to a few strings in that region. Perhaps your case is magnified because of the Yonex design "squaring" off parts of the head. I've never used a Yonex.

dgdawg
10-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Hate to sound rude here, but stop shanking.

Another thing you could do to minimize the effect shanking has on the string is to tube it. (although this wouldn't be very advisable)

(edit, ddawg already advised tubing it)

carry on.......

haha....tubing's a pain in the azz....
your stringer may charge you some long bux

Power Player
10-06-2010, 07:38 AM
I never broke a string like that until I got my Tfight (oddly a little yonexy at the top) and it happened last weekend on a fairly new set of Black Magic.

drakulie
10-06-2010, 07:42 AM
haha....tubing's a pain in the azz....
your stringer may charge you some long bux

LOLz>>>..

I have a few customers I regularly string for, and I tube a few grommets for them. However, these are customers who use natural gut. I will typically tube on the tie off in the head.

As you said, some places do charge for tubing. One store in my are charges $1 per tubed grommet. I do it for free, but all within reason.

Radicalized
10-06-2010, 07:55 AM
You should note your swing style. Aside from an off-center hit, how do you normally approach the ball (with the racquet that is)?

dgdawg
10-06-2010, 08:04 AM
LOLz>>>..

I have a few customers I regularly string for, and I tube a few grommets for them. However, these are customers who use natural gut. I will typically tube on the tie off in the head.

As you said, some places do charge for tubing. One store in my are charges $1 per tubed grommet. I do it for free, but all within reason.

I'm actually finding myself just grinding out the cracked/broken grommet and replacing it w/a new one. Seems to be easier and gives a little better look.

Funny you mention the natty/tie-off tubing. I did this on a frame of an open player who had me string 5lbs above the high end. I thought it would help protect the natty from the knot. He adamantly requested I never do it again.
I explained why I did it and asked what his apprehension was for me not doing it.
His response was:because it's not normal.
I happily offered to restring it gratis (lab/mats) as I took it upon myself to do this. he didn't take me up on it (thankfully)
I've strung his frames about 4 times sense then.

drakulie
10-06-2010, 08:18 AM
^^^Doesn't look natural? LOL. It is hardly noticeable. People I do it for strongly appreciate it.

Radicalized
10-06-2010, 08:26 AM
His response was:because it's not normal.

He probably has OCD.

dgdawg
10-06-2010, 08:34 AM
^^^Doesn't look natural? LOL. It is hardly noticeable. People I do it for strongly appreciate it.

haha....Agreed!!!!
I find it comical how freaky some ppl get.
This same guy wondered why I strung his frames differently (he had 4)
I said I didn't. I always mount the frame w/the but cap pointing up.
One of his frames pointed down (my bad for missing that)
That bothered him more than me so he had me flip it around. I had to identify the grip he had first so I could order one.
What ever makes the customer happy, I always say......:shock:

p.s.-I said I could use the same grip but told him sometimes the tape stays on the handle and that needs to be removed separately.
He felt the grips would be diff size and had me re-grip all 4
.......again...whatever makes the customer happy!!!!

Radicalized
10-06-2010, 08:41 AM
^^^^^^OCD again.

Dr. Radicalized

drakulie
10-06-2010, 08:51 AM
^^^Jeez, ddawg. What a ******.

Anyway, customers are very picky, and as you said, "whatever makes them happy".

dgdawg
10-06-2010, 08:59 AM
^^^Jeez, ddawg. What a ******.

Anyway, customers are very picky, and as you said, "whatever makes them happy".

hahaha.....I can do anything, drak...cha-ching!!!!

diredesire
10-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Isn't the cross section of the RDS001 triangular? That's likely your culprit, not the shape of the head. The triangular cross section allows the ball to strike the string much nearer to the frame/grommets, which allows for a much higher shear force.

If you are prone to breaking strings (and want more durability), including with shearing, your best bet is to actually find a denser string patterned racquet (IMHO). It will reduce (but not eliminate) shearing due to the increased likelihood of striking more strings at once (reducing deflection), and the denser string pattern will also restrict movement (in more ways than one), which will allow you to continue using thin gauged strings, instead of going for super thick ones.

mr33
10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the comments! I am going to ask my stringer for tubing and I will try some non-poly strings. Any recommendations?

Cheers ;)

Radicalized
10-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have jumped in between your posts, but I was being serious. I'm absolutely sure you will run into people with this condition, and that will account for specific unusual requests, beyond any beliefs about racquet customization.

dgdawg
10-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have jumped in between your posts, but I was being serious. I'm absolutely sure you will run into people with this condition, and that will account for specific unusual requests, beyond any beliefs about racquet customization.

Without a doubt.
I have 250+ customers, and 250+ personalities.
I believe 80% (or more) of this game is mental. Strings on a frame come in contact with the ball (this being the objective, anyway) every time the ball crosses the net.
My objective is to do my best to make my customer as comfortable (mentally and physically) with his/her equipment as I can.
I do this happily.
Time is money, and my labor rates are reasonable. Most players, 99.9% of the time understand this and are happy with the service.
I've had ppl say "Dick's is $5 cheaper". I politely encourage them to do what they feel most comfortable with.
My objective is not to be cheaper than everybody. It is to offer quality service, at a reasonable cost, with rapid turnaround, in a convenient location.

mr33
10-08-2010, 11:07 PM
My swing may be causing the problem. I have been playing more powerful and hitting a large amount of off-forehands. I also figured out whenever I dont look at the ball I snap strings, to add to my bad news I broke one today when I was serving :( I was playing of my nut too :S

Radicalized
10-09-2010, 07:20 PM
My swing may be causing the problem. I have been playing more powerful and hitting a large amount of off-forehands. I also figured out whenever I dont look at the ball I snap strings, to add to my bad news I broke one today when I was serving :( I was playing of my nut too :S

This may be a somewhat useless post, but I will say, Mr33, that I was reminded of your thread today. In my first post of this thread I mentioned my brother's "swing" in breaking his strings constantly. He did it again today, and I knew it was going to happen as the racquet approached the ball. He was in his "exaggerated swing mode" at that moment. The only reason I note something so "anecdotal" is not to just have something to write, but rather to point out that a particular approach/type/angle of a swing can make this happen consistently. If you wonder, while he can put some good action on the ball, he is not a "powerful" looking player. And he can do it with various racquet types, as the years prove. This again is with various stringers and strings.

As far as the help part, I'd start concentrating on ball contact in practice. Think of trying to see the ball spinning, or "reading" the printing on the ball as you make your swing. Also, give some "conscious" thought about your body position (direction of feet, etc...) when making your swings. Perhaps you are partly out of position and are contacting the ball in a manner that is doing what is described in previous posts.

mr33
10-09-2010, 07:55 PM
It occurs more when I dont focus and look and the ball and when I am out of position. More on my forehand when I dont bend enough and on my serve when I get bored and dont focus on the ball toss.

What racquet does your brother use?

Radicalized
10-09-2010, 08:19 PM
^^Currently, the same as I use. LM Radical OS. Part of this was to prove it was "him." I can't name every model he's used, but they include Wilson, Head, and Dunlop, in various head sizes. He uses the MP version, too. He doesn't care to think of technical stuff like the people on this board. He simply plays to his amusement. He can play a tight game if he wishes, but I think he thinks he is "Fabrice Santoro." However, his magic can be a little shoddy.

Steve Huff
10-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I tube all the time for people. I have a customer who uses a gut hybrid in one the Prince O3 hybrids. I tube the top of it and she says it plays the same. Plus, the strings don't seem to break as easily on mis-hits. I broke 2 of my own this weekend on shanks. I've tried Drak's recommedation of not shanking, but so far, it hasn't worked very well.

mr33
10-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I tube all the time for people. I have a customer who uses a gut hybrid in one the Prince O3 hybrids. I tube the top of it and she says it plays the same. Plus, the strings don't seem to break as easily on mis-hits. I broke 2 of my own this weekend on shanks. I've tried Drak's recommedation of not shanking, but so far, it hasn't worked very well.
One of my coaches says I wont be able to tube my racquet caz of the tiny gromets :P