PDA

View Full Version : What's so good about Tournagrip?

wfudeac
06-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Seems like many professionals use it as well as recreational players...What's so good about it?

Michelangelo
06-03-2005, 08:04 AM
In terms of hydro absorbing ability, weight and thickness it's one of the best. However, I use Wilson Pro Grip instead since the Tourna Grip won't last longer than 15 min (I mean the original formula, not the relatively new coming Hi Tak version) on any of my racket before completely worn out, even in winter.

GregOz
06-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Beats me. I've never liked the feel of it and as Michelangelo says, it just doesn't last very long. Much prefer the Yonex overgrips.

Michelangelo
06-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Beats me. I've never liked the feel of it and as Michelangelo says, it just doesn't last very long. Much prefer the Yonex overgrips.

Ya know, that's why besides serving and volley, Sampras is also equivalently good at changing overgrip! :P

Dildor
06-03-2005, 08:20 AM
I like Tornagrip alot, and yes, it doesn't last very long. However, I like the feel when the grip gets ratty over time. I guess I'm weird, but it is the only overgrip I like so far.

ffrpg
06-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Tournagrip isn't all that great. The durability sucks. I prefer the Yonex Supergrap and Wilson Pro overgrips.

tennisnoob
06-03-2005, 08:49 AM
It still has the best feel IMO but like everyone says, the durability really suck big time! I use up like 10 - 15 grips each week back when i was still playing 3 - 4 times a week!

tennissavy
06-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Tournagrip is only good for a set, then when it becomes tattered, I get blisters. Not fun then. I like the wilson pro overgrips I buy at Walmart. They are acceptable and last a lot longer- about 6 or seven matches! They are also cheaper.

fishuuuuu
06-03-2005, 09:03 AM
This might be weird but.... I like used up tournagrips... they are mushy and textured and feel nice... =X

But the person that broke them in for me can't have sweaty hands because it's too rough and pulls at my skin =X

equinox
06-03-2005, 09:06 AM
I've moved over to wilson overgrip from tournagrip.

Jonnyf
06-03-2005, 09:06 AM
i like the feel and of course sweat absorbtion

djones
06-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I didn't like is that much either, it's worn out after 30 minutes and if you continue to play with it, you'll end up with blisters all over your hand.
This also makes it the most overpriced grip available.
Here you pay € 6.50,- for a set of 3 grips, while there are many of those cheap brands which sell (I believe 99% the same thing) in a box of 60 for € 30,-.
Can't be too dificult to replicate a synhtetic overgrip, we're not talking about copying Luxilon Big Banger Alu power:-)

Tomek_Pl
06-04-2005, 01:52 AM
I use Pro's Pro, one for a $ and lasts me few hours...

La Bomba
06-04-2005, 04:23 AM
Tourna Grip is crap, Wilson Pro Overgrip is better. I tried tourna grip and it shreaded in 10 minutes, but the sweat absorption was great.

SamBruin
06-04-2005, 04:38 AM
Matched with a leather grip, the feel is unbeatable.. that's why pros like it so much. However, I like Yonex Supergrap better because of it's tackier feel. It's even better than the Wilson Pro Grip in my opinion because it lasts longer and doesn't get as slippery.

mutt
06-04-2005, 05:01 AM
Where you can buy Pro's pro overgrips?

Flatspin
06-04-2005, 05:08 AM
Tourn-grip is good! However, it doesn't have good durability. There are better over-grips on the market.

Tim Tennis
06-04-2005, 05:23 AM
I love tournagrip. I buy it in 30 a pack rolls. No it does not last that long but on those 90 degree days it does not slip like all the others do when they get wet. Those of you that tear them up in a few games, that should tell you something, your racquet is twisting in your hand on contact. You will not transfer as much energy to the ball and you will get blisters.

You got to love the game.

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com

Gaines Hillix
06-04-2005, 05:40 AM
I think Tim hit the nail on the head here. The tournagrips are dry and absorb moisture very well, but for some people they tend to let the racquet slip. The originals have no tack to them at all. They also are not cushioned or rubbery so they let the feel of what's under them come through which some people like. I'm one of the Super Grap fans.

kv581
06-04-2005, 07:15 AM
I appreciate the relative lack of tack in tournagrip. Wilson pro overgrip, in contrast, feels like glue on your grip. It (the Wilson) provides an annoying feel during play, and I can't seem to change grips on the run as readily.

HeavyBall
06-04-2005, 07:29 AM
One of its greatest stengths: It is the only grip of its kind. If you want a slick, somewhat cushiony overgrip, you have a dozen options. If you want something similar to Tournagrip, you only have one.

Feņa14
06-04-2005, 07:59 AM
I love it when it's all old, I am using a 1 year old one on my PT280 and its fine.. it doesn't tear up particularly it just stretches which I find good because it is usually too short to fit on the whole handle.

thejackal
06-04-2005, 08:14 AM
I like broken in Supergrap. It's too tacky for about 1-2 hours but plays great after that. I use Tourna-blue color though ;) .

ATXtennisaddict
06-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Anyone ever tried the technifibre overgrip? Feels pretty good to me.

morten
06-04-2005, 03:39 PM
ATX i use tecnifibre. I like them alot, wilson and supergrap is a little too tacky for me so t is excellent.Durability is good too.

Yan Man
06-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Tournagrip is alright but the durability is horrible. I prefer Wilson pro overgrip or Yonex supergrap though.

GrahamIsSuper
06-04-2005, 09:13 PM
There definitely must be some twisting going on if you are getting blisters from a 1-hr-old tournagrip. I have used a tournagrip straight on the poly of the handle (no regular grip) for several months, and not ONCE did I get blisters. There is nothing like tournagrip, its fabricy and sticky at the same time, hard to explain.

Michelangelo
06-04-2005, 09:32 PM
There definitely must be some twisting going on if you are getting blisters from a 1-hr-old tournagrip. I have used a tournagrip straight on the poly of the handle (no regular grip) for several months, and not ONCE did I get blisters. There is nothing like tournagrip, its fabricy and sticky at the same time, hard to explain.

Yes. One can't twist the handle as much with other overgrip. I like the fabricy of Tourna Grip as well. However, obviously my style doesn't suit Tournan Grip and I hafta stick with Wilson Pro Grip.

Michelangelo
06-04-2005, 09:35 PM
I appreciate the relative lack of tack in tournagrip. Wilson pro overgrip, in contrast, feels like glue on your grip. It (the Wilson) provides an annoying feel during play, and I can't seem to change grips on the run as readily.

One of the interesting things of Wilson Pro Grip is it feels more "normal" (less glue-like feeling) when it gets dirty. But the point is, how long can you withstand a dirty overgrip on your beloved racket.

wtennis206
06-04-2005, 09:40 PM
nothing. it feels like crap and last ten minuites, IMO.

fist pump
06-04-2005, 09:46 PM
if you can afford to replace it every use/day - go for it .
if not - you will be better of with others as it wears out easy and gets slippery really quick.

wildmoose31
06-05-2005, 12:08 AM
I dont even replace mine once a week, I dont get people here saying they last an hour

kv581
06-05-2005, 12:35 AM
I dont even replace mine once a week, I dont get people here saying they last an hour
Some people simply sweat more than others, or mis-hit more.