PDA

View Full Version : is the Liquidmetal Instinct a good racquet for a 3.0-3.5 player?

isell188
06-03-2005, 06:49 AM
I am a 3.0-3.5 baseline player with a semi western forehand and a 1 handed backhand. I have been playing with the wilson H tour and it is ok, but I think that I have been hitting balls long, and it lacks some control. I am using the 105 head size. I was debating between the Head Liquidmetal Instinct and the Prince O3 tour. I was thinking that the Prince O3 tour may be too much of an advanced racquet. I try to use topspin, but I am not sure how the string pattern affects it. I know the Head has an 18 x 19 pattern and the Prince has a 16 x 18 one.

stc9357
06-03-2005, 07:07 AM
The prince racket though I haven't tried it myself is supposed to give you great control and is good a racket for generationg topspin. The tour version of the O3 is supposed to be the best.

I have the flexpoint tour you should demo both the 03tour and the flexpoint tour to determine which racket you like better. The flexpoint is a great racket and will give you great spin because of the 16 X 19 string pattern. Don't put a lot of stock in the flexing holes and stuff those are usually just gimmicks but its a great racket. Made me switch from my Ti. Radical which I loved so much before.

Gaines Hillix
06-03-2005, 07:40 AM
I am a 3.0-3.5 baseline player with a semi western forehand and a 1 handed backhand. I have been playing with the wilson H tour and it is ok, but I think that I have been hitting balls long, and it lacks some control. I am using the 105 head size. I was debating between the Head Liquidmetal Instinct and the Prince O3 tour. I was thinking that the Prince O3 tour may be too much of an advanced racquet. I try to use topspin, but I am not sure how the string pattern affects it. I know the Head has an 18 x 19 pattern and the Prince has a 16 x 18 one.

Both the O3 Tour and LM Instinct are worth a demo. This will give you a good comparison between a players oriented frame(the O3) and a tweener, the LM Instinct.

Speedy_tennis
06-03-2005, 07:43 AM
yes! is a good stick

bamboo
06-04-2005, 05:05 AM
It was a tossup for me on the O3 tour and the Instinct - I may get an Instinct for backup. It spins the ball well even with 18X19.

AndrewD
06-04-2005, 05:21 AM
The LM Instinct is an excellent racquet for 3.0-4.5 level players although it is probably best suited to baseliners like yourself. Doesn't get spoken about as much as other frames (possibly because people are under the misapprehension that it isn't a 'players frame') but if you have a look at the pro tour you can see it is applicable there and if you have a look at the junior players you'll see quite a lot using it. Offers good power and good control, nice comfort and all-around good playability. Although I use the LM Prestige mid I really feel that the LM Instinct is the best of the entire LM range. Just has such good application for a wide range of playing levels of either sex and would definately be one Id recommend to someone in your situation.

The 03Tour is a nice racquet but I think you might find a better result with the Instinct. The 03 lacks a bit of weight in the head whereas the Instinct is perfectly fine in stock form.

isell188
06-07-2005, 06:27 AM
I demo'd the instinct and the prestige MP yesterday, and I liked the weight of the prestige in the serves, but it was heavy to move around and I sometimes came up short if I didn't prepare early enough. The string job on the instinct, wasn't done very well, and I feel I didn't get a good response from it. I also tried the Babolat Aeropro drive, and I think this had too much power. I am considering the LM 4 also, and I was wondering which would be better 1) go with the prestige MP and keep working with it (as some believe that it is better to get a players frame and stick with it)
2) go with the instinct or LM 4

I am a solid 3.0 trending to a 3.5 playing 2-3 times a week (singles & doubles)

isell188
06-08-2005, 08:07 AM
I have narrowed it down to either the LM 4 or the LM instinct. Please help me to decide. Need to know the real playability differences.

kv581
06-08-2005, 08:16 AM
I would go with the Instinct. LM 4 was comfy when I demoed it, but I think it's a rather limited frame. Instinct, while not an outright players frame, should still give you enough to work with and improve your game. Plus, Instinct is cheaper these days. Have you tried the Instinct? If you like the way it plays and feels in your hand, go with it.

Dropit
06-08-2005, 08:25 AM
if you don;t have an advanced stroke or don't hit with a lot of top spoin I would not recommend the instinct. the ball will saillllll

isell188
06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
I didn't think the instinct was good for hitting with topspin, because of it's dense string pattern.

wksoh
06-30-2006, 07:03 AM
I would go with the Instinct. LM 4 was comfy when I demoed it, but I think it's a rather limited frame. Instinct, while not an outright players frame, should still give you enough to work with and improve your game. Plus, Instinct is cheaper these days. Have you tried the Instinct? If you like the way it plays and feels in your hand, go with it.
Yes yes.. this is good advice.
Instinct.. Instinct.. Instinct... I bought 3 in 3 months. BTW I just bought an APD too - more power but also more demanding racket.

Oops... I forgot to consider your level.... I maybe wrong.. I think the best is to demo.