PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Wegner and tennisteacher.com

harryz
06-03-2005, 08:31 AM
I've been playing for over 30 years, have taught and coached, and am a solid 5.0- 5.5 player. Am recently coming back from a bad injury last year and decided to re-examine my approach to the game and technique. After some research, I spoke with Oscar and bought his DVDs and book. He's quite a gentleman. As for the techniques ("Learn to play like the pros") I can't express my gratitude for his elegant, simple and effective instruction (and no, I'm not paid by him and this is unsolicited). Like many "old school" players I was taught to take long, smooth strokes, to prepare early and to hit "through" the ball after turning etc... and using skip steps. Reading the books, watching the DVDs and actually using the techniques changed and raised my level quite quickly. No stress or strain on the body, more effortless spin and action on the ball, more power and more consistency on all shots. I can't recommend this man and his system highly enough. Do yourself a favor and check out his site. You may need to re-examine your whole way of playing and thinking about the game, which may be just the ticket!

Enjoy!

Harry Z

gregraven
06-03-2005, 09:03 AM
I've not seen his DVDs, but I get his e-mail newsletter. He may be correct about a great many things, but he has no idea about the physics behind his recommendations. If the strokes work for you, super, but he's more into Scientology than science, from what I can tell.

isell188
06-03-2005, 09:28 AM
It is so funny that you posted today, I am sitting here having lunch and the book I am reading, is "Play better tennis in 2 hrs." by Wegner.

I like his concepts, do you think the DVD's help to understand the book better?

Also, does he have any clinics or schools that one could go and take lessons in this method of instruction, or how can I find out about instructors who teach this way.

montx
06-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I think Oscar provides some insight to tennis, but from a lot of reading of other material, i think his approach is meant to spur on a beginner and to keep it simple, sometimes when we tend to complicate things.

I find good sources from many people and I would give Oscar about a 7.5 out of 10 from my reading and such and having his CDs. I found James Jensen to be a lot better personally.

harryz
06-03-2005, 10:45 AM
I'll check out Jensen too. I was a little put off by the references to L.Ron Hubbard in the intro to the book, but why not thank the man if he was helpful? I don't find prosletyzing here at all...

Given this, I would like more in terms of strategies etc.. for advanced players.

Harry

JohnThomas1
06-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Oscar is hit and miss. He has some great instruction but he has some strange stuff too. I found his stuff worthwhile in the fact that he opened my mind to SOME new idea's. Jensen's stuff is pretty thorough and sound. He repeats himself a lot but there's a lot of good in there too.

saint
06-04-2005, 10:37 PM
johnthomas which of the jensen collection is good.share some views on it.thanks for the input

JohnThomas1
06-06-2005, 03:00 AM
Al the basic ones are ok i think. I enjoyed the backhand and forehand ones. He goes into quite reasonable detail, tho certainly no better than claimed in the ads. Buy one of these two and go from there. He's not as in depth as BB on here i must say.