PDA

View Full Version : Stringing 16x18 instead 16x19? Any problem?

killertubbie
10-07-2010, 05:12 PM
My racquet patterns is 16x19 and the stringer did not string the last crosses on my racquet and it is like 16x18. Is it problem playing with a racquet when there is only 1 crosses missing?

I didn't talk to the stringer so maybe he did on purpose...my presumption...

Peppershaker
10-07-2010, 05:33 PM
You need to take the racquet back to your stringer, and they need to restring it for you at their cost. They made a mistake, and chances are they will be embarressed and take care of the situation.

Team China
10-07-2010, 05:38 PM
It moves the sweetspot a little higher because the lack of the last cross. I don't believe it would make a huge different either than that maybe a slight little more trampoline effect (most likely you wouldn't be able to tell if your a club player).

I don't think it is acceptable for a stringer to not check the string pattern and miss 1 cross but that's just my opinion

Team China
10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Basically nothing wrong but be sure to let him know of his mistake.

I don't know if it was Borg but there was a player who preferred to not have the outer strings strung for more trampoline effect.

killertubbie
10-07-2010, 06:02 PM
You need to take the racquet back to your stringer, and they need to restring it for you at their cost. They made a mistake, and chances are they will be embarressed and take care of the situation.

Actually, I got it restrung from a guy who's a former pro. He's just a personal stringer like some of you guys with a stringing machine at home. I'll tell him next time if it was a mistake or he did it on purpose. I think it's forgivable because he's not a stringer from a pro shop...

killertubbie
10-07-2010, 06:05 PM
It moves the sweetspot a little higher because the lack of the last cross. I don't believe it would make a huge different either than that maybe a slight little more trampoline effect (most likely you wouldn't be able to tell if your a club player).

I don't think it is acceptable for a stringer to not check the string pattern and miss 1 cross but that's just my opinion

I know and I just notice that 2 days laters. I'm just worry that playing with it might crack the frame, but the crosses missing is the one from the 6'oclock area, where you put the dampener...

Ash_Smith
10-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Actually, I got it restrung from a guy who's a former pro. He's just a personal stringer like some of you guys with a stringing machine at home. I'll tell him next time if it was a mistake or he did it on purpose. I think it's forgivable because he's not a stringer from a pro shop...

Did he charge you for the service? If so he's a 'professional' and therefore you deserve a proper service. I acidently missed out the last cross on a racquet for a customer, didn't notice until I handed it back to him and so did it again for free.

Also, Pro Shop stringers don't necessarily string better than home stringers - I think you'll find the majority of good stringers on here string from home - I certainly do. Just becasue somebody doesn't string in a shop doesn't excuse them bad workmanship and just because they string in a shop doesn't automatically mean you'll get great workmanship!

Cheers

Ash

PimpMyGame
10-08-2010, 01:56 AM
When I started stringing I once misweaved for a customer, and although I was horrified and immediately restrung for free, I'd much rather know if I made a mistake. Therefore I'd tell your stringer. Chances are he'd want to rectify the situation too. Also he can adjust his "QC" to ensure the same mistake doesn't happen again, so it's always best policy to let him know asap.

tray999
10-08-2010, 02:35 AM
I have been stringing on and off since 1979 and I have made a couple of miss weaves and missed the last cross on a racquet for a customer a time or two. But luckily they have been few and far between, but I always restring their racquet's for free and apologize. We are human and sometimes we make mistakes.

killertubbie
10-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Did he charge you for the service? If so he's a 'professional' and therefore you deserve a proper service. I acidently missed out the last cross on a racquet for a customer, didn't notice until I handed it back to him and so did it again for free.

Also, Pro Shop stringers don't necessarily string better than home stringers - I think you'll find the majority of good stringers on here string from home - I certainly do. Just becasue somebody doesn't string in a shop doesn't excuse them bad workmanship and just because they string in a shop doesn't automatically mean you'll get great workmanship!

Cheers

Ash

I meant he's a former pro tennis players but not a pro stringers...I didn't tell him yet but I'm wondering if it's still playable. It's not like he missed the last main or miss a string in the middle...

It looks like I'm just playing with a very open string patterns 16x18 and I want to know if stringers here think it is safe to play with it. There are racquets with 16x18 and I'm bit lazy to come back to the guy...

Usually the pro shop stringers are very reliable in my town. I don't remember any mistakes from them on my frame for the past 15years, guess I'm lucky

PBODY99
10-08-2010, 12:22 PM
It will not hurt the frame's structure. I would let him know that it happened & you noticed, which most folks will do, since fewer frames have shared hole than in the 1980;s & 1990's.

Ambivalent
10-08-2010, 12:35 PM
I was once restringing a babolat pure drive 107. I ran out of string on the last cross because I usually don't string super oversized rackets. Customer was fine with it.

If you think there's a problem, then you have the right to bring it up and get it restrung for free. I don't think it really affects play.

Winky
10-08-2010, 01:44 PM
OP, clearly it's bothering you. You should have it restrung, and then choose a new stringer. I can't imagine how someone could miss something like that unless he had to string 10 racquets in an hour or something.

tomseek
10-24-2010, 02:09 PM
To err is human, so I would just bring it up and let him restring it for you for FREE. I am sure he would. The whole idea that he might have "done it intentionally" means that you don't really trust this guy. Don't ask him to string for you again.

Tom