PDA

View Full Version : problem generating spin with LM Prestige Mid

udihamudi65
06-03-2005, 09:30 AM
i demoed this stick and was very impressed with it's control and feel. very solid and accurate ground strokes. toke me a while to get used to it's weight but once i got used to it my game improved a lot.
but i had a big problem developing spin. ripping the ball was very difficult. i had to rely mostly on flatter strokes.
is this mainly the raquet's character (heavy, small head, dense string pattern) or is it more of a stringing issue (i used head ultra tour-a polyester string, 56 ponuds).
thanks!

udihamudi65
06-03-2005, 11:00 PM
my question is actually ment for LM prestige users-do you find good access to spin on this racquet? i have to decide if to buy it... because on all the other parameters it is great.

TwistServe
06-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Spin isn't hard if you have good techinque.. I know a guy that uses it and he has some heavy spin on his forehand.. I've used a LM Prestige MP all of last year and I produced good spin too.. Obviously it's not the optimize spin stick but your technique is the fundamental starting point for spin.. all the other tweaks like racquet variance, lead tape, etc just adds a lil bit

La Bomba
06-03-2005, 11:32 PM
I can generate alright spin with the Lm prestige mid but a lot more spin with the ncode tour 90.

udihamudi65
06-03-2005, 11:49 PM
did you notice any significant chang in spin access when changing from polyester to other strings?

TwistServe
06-03-2005, 11:56 PM
did you notice any significant chang in spin access when changing from polyester to other strings?

I notice an increase but not too signifcant.

udihamudi65
06-04-2005, 12:04 AM
well... i play with a lot of spin, but my last racquet was much lighter and it's head size was 110. i guess it's mostly a matter of modifying my technique and developing a stronger arm and wrist. i'll defenatly try the nsix-one 95 before deciding. it might be a more natural stick for me.

AndrewD
06-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Obviously it is far easier to produce excessive topspin with a larger headed frame. However, I have found the LM Prestige mid to have excellent spin potential. Topspin is easy to generate and you can get some very good 'bite' on slice shots. At present I only have a 16 gauge Head synthetic in it and strung at 50lbs but generating spin is no problem at all. I'll move on to 17gauge and expect it to be even easier. My slice serve, which had gone missing while using the older Prestige Pro, is back and it feels as though Im getting twice the spin with half the effort. Given that I have a moderate swing speed on groundstrokes Id expect someone who swings faster to be able to produce far more top than I get. Of course, as it has a smaller headsize you might have more mishits if you go all out for spin but if you want it you can definately get it.

If you like the LM Prestige perhaps you could also try the i-Prestige. It has a much lower swingweight so you might find it easier to generate spin.

nViATi
06-04-2005, 09:26 AM
i have the lm prestige MIDPLUS and i use an eastern grip but i get plenty of spin

udihamudi65
06-04-2005, 12:49 PM
i use a fast swing speed. i love getting sharp angles on approach shots and i need to generate a generous amount of spin with some wrist action to accomplish that. it was hard with the LM Prestige Mid, i guess partly because of the tight polyester string. i was surprised that i wasn't miss hitting-i was sure that after years of playing with OS racquets it will happen more often. so it didn't feel like it was the head size. probably more of a string and weight issue. the tight polyester and weight turned it into the most accurate stick i ever played with-and that was fabulous, but it had a price. maybe i need to use it with another string with less tention or try the midplus. i'll have to try that to know for sure.

AndrewD
06-04-2005, 04:11 PM
udihamudi65,

if at all possible, give the i-Prestige a try. You might find the much lower swingweight a better match for your game.

Speedy_tennis
06-04-2005, 04:53 PM
try another string, less gauge, 17 or 18 , and a multifilament or gut string

udihamudi65
06-13-2005, 02:28 PM
after trying the LM prestige with a more flexible string i can say this racquet has very nice spin potential. i don't know if it's only the string or me getting used to heavier sticks (for the last two weeks i've been demoing heavy player's racquets including the nsix-one 95) but now i can say that i REALLY like this racquet. it's so stable and controled that i can play with it with a lot of confidence. didn't try the nsix-one 95 18x20 and the o3 tour yet, but so far this is the best racquet i've demoed.

thejerk
06-13-2005, 04:00 PM
you could probably get a new pc600 cheaper and it makes the lm prestige seem harsh. The lm mid is a nice one but the classic is far far better.

Alex
06-13-2005, 06:02 PM
I never tried the LM Prestige MID but i do play with a HEAD Prestige Tour MID. Which is about the same, i guess.

This racquet is really better suit for flat stroke.

From my experience, the only way i can generate powerful top spin on ground stroke, is to really setup and swing hard & fast at the ball. You'll get the kind of spin you want. Other occasion, just hit flat.

Cheers!

LafayetteHitter
06-13-2005, 06:08 PM
I played with the Prestige Classic Mid for quite some time and found that I could generate plenty of topspin on groundstrokes with it, but I always strung it with 17g BDE Perf natural gut in the mains and 18 gauge Gosen OG Micro in the crosses to open up the stringbed just a bit. This racquet really hits sweet with this setup, I would imagine a hybrid of this type would be pleasurable in the LM Prestige mid as well.

Scott

LafayetteHitter
06-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I played with the Prestige Classic Mid for quite some time and found that I could generate plenty of topspin on groundstrokes with it, but I always strung it with 17g BDE Perf natural gut in the mains and 18 gauge Gosen OG Micro in the crosses to open up the stringbed just a bit. This racquet really hits sweet with this setup, I would imagine a hybrid of this type would be pleasurable in the LM Prestige mid as well.

Scott

CollegeBound
06-13-2005, 07:55 PM
I found the LM Prestige mid to be very easy to generate topspin with so Id say if you are struggling to get good spin on it then your swingspeed isnt fast enough to accomodate the higher swingweight and the smaller racquet head.

Assuming you are using a reasonable tension, not too loose, then I would check your strings to make sure you have 17 or 18 gauge in, they will help put more bite on the ball.

If all of that fails and you still aren't getting enough topspin on the ball then Id say the problem lies with technique or swingspeed. If you believe your technique is good then try the i-Prestige which has a lower swingweight and might be better suited to your particular swing speed.